Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mechanic in Waterford - Irish or A8 national?

Options
  • 08-06-2012 12:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭

So I need the car servicing. It's a 08 petrol Corsa. I've been to three Irish garages in town, they all price at €120 - €140. I also checked at two garages run by A8 nationals (I think Lithuanian), they both price at €99 all in.

What with me being poverty stricken at the minute money is tight and I'm watching the pennies even more than usual. Does anyone have any experience of Ray's garage (across from Dignities) or the garage just down from Supervalu near to the African food shop? Or indeed of any other A8 national mechanics?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,055 ✭✭✭spankmemunkey

I have had a nightmare experience with mechanics in this town, I can honestly say i dont trust any mechanic what ever they say, Ive been to VW main Dealers to most other garages at one point and they all try to do you somehow, I have some shocking stories from some places who fit tyres and exhaust and do servicing, DONT go to them they arent even qualified mechanics doing the work

I think the best thing you can do is try and know as much as you can about your car and possible problems outcomes and costs and previous service history of your car, Always stay with your car when they service it cos you just dont know what they are doing sometimes,

Ask for all parts that were taken out of your car ie air filter oil filter spark plugs, PM me if you want more details about some of the garages ive had problems with honestly you probably wouldnt believe me though its that bad

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

I always ask for the old filter etc. I demand a call before they do any extra work and I have the bulbs, wipers, water, screen fluid etc done before it goes in. I use the garage beside the Harley Davidson store in Poleberry, find them great.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,503 ✭✭✭thomasm

wmpdd3 wrote: »
    I always ask for the old filter etc. I demand a call before they do any extra work and I have the bulbs, wipers, water, screen fluid etc done before it goes in. I use the garage beside the Harley Davidson store in Poleberry, find them great.

Use the same guys as do many friends and family, never heard anything but praise for their work

• Registered Users Posts: 7 atki

I had the same problem my self i got a price of the new garage on the cord rd self service auto found them very reasonable check out there website site for prices www.selfserviceauto.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 2,691 ✭✭✭michellie

atki wrote: »
    I had the same problem my self i got a price of the new garage on the cord rd self service auto found them very reasonable check out there website site for prices www.selfserviceauto.ie

You hardly work there do you ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7 atki

michellie wrote: »
    You hardly work there do you ?

Wish i did i could do with earning a few quid i wonder would they hire me for advertiseing for them?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭Hoffmans

no problem using the a8 mechanics especially on diesels ,just as long as they dont water down the materials like the a8 painters do...

• Registered Users Posts: 28,451 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Hoffmans wrote: »
    no problem using the a8 mechanics especially on diesels ,just as long as they dont water down the materials like the a8 painters do...

All of them? You know that for a fact do you? They like working so much they are prepared to put on a couple of extra coats to get coverage, is that it?

• Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭Tarzann

What is an A8???

• Registered Users Posts: 1,770 ✭✭✭shockwave

Tarzann wrote: »
    What is an A8???

I was wondering the same thing :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 739 ✭✭✭bradknowell

What is an A8???

Must be a new audi or something.

AH SO THIS IS IT

Seriving a car is simples. Just get someone to show you how its done and save yourself loads then in the future by doing all the work yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,343 ✭✭✭beazee

What is an A8???
    After "a8 painters" tip I now reckon it's the 8 accession states that joined the EU in 2004. a8 = ee

Advertisement