Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

‘Dead' boy wakes up and asks for water at funeral in Brazil

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,488 ✭✭✭celtictiger32

brazilian hamster??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 588 ✭✭✭MisterEpicurus

DubDJ wrote: »
    Very freaky if it's actually true.

I very much doubt that the very first thing a 2 year old child asks for is a glass of water, given the surroundings he was in. Chances are this is publicity of some sort. The parents will probably write a book in the future and make some cash out of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,068 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

cambo2008 wrote: »
    Educated guess ;)

So, just a guess then? :p

As troubling and unbelievable as it may seem, doctors sometimes prematurely and incorrectly pronounce people dead.
    Although only a handful of such cases have appeared in the literature, there has been speculation that the Lazarus phenomenon occurs more often than those few reports would suggest (5). Possible explanations for the reluctance to report these cases include: 1) a concern regarding medicolegal ramifications, 2) a fear of being criticized for negligence or hyperbole, 3) the lack of a satisfying physiologic explanation for the events, 4) the lack of complete documentation or monitoring of the event, and 5) the physician’s disbelief of his or her own observations.

http://www.anesthesia-analgesia.org/content/92/3/690.short

I very much doubt that the very first thing a 2 year old child asks for is a glass of water, given the surroundings he was in. Chances are this is publicity of some sort. The parents will probably write a book in the future and make some cash out of it.

what would he ask 'did brazil win the copa america?'

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

I dunno, but I've heard of similar things happening

http://voices.yahoo.com/dead-woman-comes-back-life-1492963.html
    I love this quote;
    the family states that they "turned her over to Jesus" and that is when the miracle happened.
    So they turned her over to Jesus, but Jesus sent her back again :pac:

In the OP, it's definitely not beyond the realms of possibility that the boy was actually alive all night during the wake and only died the next morning after waking up.

Interesting notelet; in Ireland and the UK around the nineteenth century it became more fashionable to have shorter wakes and quicker burials rather than to have a body lying in state for a week or more. Since there was less ability to properly tell death in those times, most people knew someone who knew of someone who awoke from death while being waked.

So people became paranoid that with the shorter burial time, they may be more prone to being buried alive and there derived a custom of burying someone with a rope hanging inside the casket, attached to a bell on the surface. You would assign someone to watch over the grave in case the bell rang (allegedly the origin of "graveyard shift").
    When the bell rang, you'd be dug up. In some cases, the "deceased's" family would have difficulty accepting their return and would believe that the person was actually a stranger - a doppleganger for their loved one - or a "dead ringer".

Noteletlet; In the US, there was a scam in horse racing where a strong horse would be signed up to a race with a different trainer, jockey and name so that the bookies wouldn't know anything about the horse and would assign it poorer odds.
    The bookies would remark that the horse was a (dead) "ringer" for the other horse, hence why in the US a "ringer" is a competitor who is suspiciously much better than they've let on.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,222 ✭✭✭✭Will I Amnt

So, just a guess then? :p

As troubling and unbelievable as it may seem, doctors sometimes prematurely and incorrectly pronounce people dead.
    Nah,it's definitely an educated guess.
    Mentioning the incompetence of the hospital yet only delaying the funeral by an hour to see if he would wake up would suggest all is not as they make it out to be.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 588 ✭✭✭MisterEpicurus

what would he ask 'did brazil win the copa america?'

Even that's more likely than a baby asking for water.

• Registered Users Posts: 629 ✭✭✭Sierra 117

I remember years back some remote island had people waking up from the "dead" all the time. They had bells fitted in the graves eventually incase anyone else woke up. T'was some disease that slowed their heart, pulse etc and gave the illusion that they were dead to an untrained eye or a hasty doctor. Very plausible that the kid wasn't dead at all to begin with. Hope they got it right the second time :pac:

That reminds me of a creepypasta based around that:

Coffins used to be built with holes in them, attached to six feet of copper tubing and a bell. The tubing would allow air for victims buried under the mistaken impression they were dead. Harold, the Oakdale gravedigger, upon hearing a bell, went to go see if it was children pretending to be spirits. Sometimes it was also the wind. This time it wasn’t either. A voice from below begged, pleaded to be unburied.
    “You Sarah O’Bannon?”
    “Yes!” the voice assured.
    “You were born on September 17, 1827?”
    “Yes!”
    “The gravestone here says you died on February 19?”
    “No I’m alive, it was a mistake! Dig me up, set me free!”
    “Sorry about this, ma’am,” Harold said, stepping on the bell to silence it and plugging up the copper tube with dirt. “But this is August. Whatever you is down there, you ain’t alive no more, and you ain’t comin’ up.”

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,397 ✭✭✭Paparazzo

I had a hamster who did that

You could hear his crys from inside your ass?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

Lazarus syndrome as its called is a extremely rare condition and has only been recorded a handful of times in medical history. In this case the boy was declared dead for 12 hours+ before he allegedly woke, in the recorded cases the victims all began to show signs of life again shortly after been pronounced dead, no more than 3 hours according to the report I'm reading.

Then again this condition is rare and is not well understood or recognisable even among members of the medical profession so who's to say something couldn't have happened. However if the parents were really in so much doubt they should not have buried the boy and sought a second medical opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭oddman2

seamus wrote: »
    Interesting notelet; in Ireland and the UK around the nineteenth century it became more fashionable to have shorter wakes and quicker burials rather than to have a body lying in state for a week or more. Since there was less ability to properly tell death in those times, most people knew someone who knew of someone who awoke from death while being waked.

So people became paranoid that with the shorter burial time, they may be more prone to being buried alive and there derived a custom of burying someone with a rope hanging inside the casket, attached to a bell on the surface. You would assign someone to watch over the grave in case the bell rang (allegedly the origin of "graveyard shift").
    When the bell rang, you'd be dug up. In some cases, the "deceased's" family would have difficulty accepting their return and would believe that the person was actually a stranger - a doppleganger for their loved one - or a "dead ringer".
    Not so sure about that...

Advertisement