Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Naming Twins after a Singleton...

Options
  • 08-06-2012 12:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 14

Bear with me, I like long posts with lots of information. ;)

I have a 16 month old son and twins due this Oct/Nov. I'm in baby-naming overload! I've tried to put off thinking about it too much until we find out genders (if they cooperate). But, now that time is almost here. Our scan is tomorrow evening and I haven't been able to get "names" off of my mind for a few days.

I know a lot of people like matchy names for twins. And, a lot of people Hate it. Including the twins themselves. I've read So many postings over the last couple of months. Some twins really liking it and some saying to never do it to your children.

Here's the set-up. We have a son named Conor. With the full initials of C.A.A. When we found out we were expecting again, I basically picked out both a boy and girl first name almost immediately. Both happened to be "C" names. I seem to be drawn to the hard-C (k sounding) names. I also Really like names that begin with vowels, so it's possible that we would have ended up with another C.A.A. I wouldn't have thought twice about doing that with two singleton siblings.

But, now I'm worried. Is doing that with 3 a bit much? However, if it ends up being b/g twins, should I have to give up two names that I love, Just because they all happen start with the same letter? Is it varying enough to keep the first initials the same, but not have matching middle initials? Or, should I purposely strive for 3 totally distinct names?

If I want totally different names that rules out lots of wonderful "C" and "K" choices. And, two things I definitely don't want to do: 1) Have the twins names match in any way, with Conor being "left out", or 2) Have one of the twins names match Conor, but not each other.

So, the choices would be:

C.A. ¦¦ C.A. ¦¦ C.A. (Both initials the same for all three.)
    C.A. ¦¦ C.?. ¦¦ C.?. (All matching first, but different middle initials.)
    C.A. ¦¦ ?.? ¦¦ ?.?. (All completely different initials.)
    or possibly
    C.A. ¦¦ ?.A. ¦¦ ?.A. (Linking them with just middle initials.)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 945 ✭✭✭Squiggler

Name them as you choose and ignore any rude comments :D

I know a family with five girls. Their parents loved J names. Quite by coincidence (or subconsiously) they called them Ja, Je, Ji, Jo, and Ju names.

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭xiwang

Different initials might come in handy in a few years' time, but definitely they aren't a necessity
    couldn't help but thinking about C.I.A., would have loved that as a kid :D

• Registered Users Posts: 776 ✭✭✭TwoMums2Be

I wouldn't get too hung up on baby naming rules :) but I would agree that varying initials may help at some point in the future!

If you like C names go with it, they are your children :) However, if you don't want matching names for the twins it might be more difficult if they both begin with C but I'm sure it can be done!

Some people have names that dont match from a sound point of view but match in a different way...both nature names, two characters from a favourite book etc etc so the names are linked but not cutesy :) This option would allow your twins to have a link but wouldn't exclude their big brother!

We found it hard to pick one so I can imagine naming twins with a sibling is pretty hard :) I would have to know genders to give plenty of decision making time :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭lynski

children's names are something everyone has an opinion on and there are no 'right' answers except the one you get when you look down at you baby after they have arrived and it makes sense. i dont get the linking thing tho, tbh, the only link our 3 have is that they have short names that work with the surname, we did use family names for second names for the first 2 and they picked the second name for the third.
    i know a family where the father has a well-known german name and the 2 sons are called the irish and english versions of that name so all 3 have the same name - that is weird.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

I also know a family with 5 girls all begining with j. Has to be the same family.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,871 ✭✭✭Karen23

I also know a family of five all beginning with J but not all girls.

My two ( not twins ) both have the hard C that sounds like K but I spelt one with a K and one with C

• Closed Accounts Posts: 945 ✭✭✭Squiggler

wmpdd3 wrote: »
    I also know a family with 5 girls all begining with j. Has to be the same family.

That would be too funny! Wonder if it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 thompssn

Well, we found out Sat. (with a 90% accuracy guarantee) that they're boy/girl twins!

One was def. a boy. We could All see that one (just like my first son, not shy in the Least). The other one proved to be difficult during the whole scan and was not positioned well. I couldn't tell one way or the other, but the professional doing the scan seemed certain and declared it was a girl (not that she thought it was a girl, or looked like a girl), so I'll take her word for it. And, hopefully we'll get a confirmation at the next hospital scan.

Still hung up on the naming options! I guess I had to get obsessed with Something. I've already got a double/triple buggy picked out, room theme and all of that. So, name obsessing it is! :)

Advertisement