Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Aib allows transfer from loan a/c to current a/c?

Options
  • 08-06-2012 12:59pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,391 ✭✭✭

I have a personal loan from AIB for the last few years that I recently added to my internet banking profile. I was making an online fund transfer this morning from my savings account to my current account but accidentally selected the money to be withdrawn from my loan account instead of my savings account. To my astonishment, they allowed the transfer to go through! Is this normal or was it just a computer glitch? I thought that I would have had to contact the bank to request a further top-up or drawdown on the loan?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

If it's a variable rate loan, and you've paid extra into it at any stage it will let you do that (up to the loan limit) if I remember correctly. Certainly did for me a few years back, but things may have changed.

Simply, if you borrowed 5000 over 3 years and were paying back by choice 80 euro a month instead of the 50 that is scheduled to be paid or lobbed a lump sum into the loan to reduce the balance, the "limit" on the loan still reduces as if you were paying 50 euro a month. So although you may have only 1500 left to pay on the loan because you've chucked in extra, in theory you should have 2000 if you were paying the scheduled amount, and that's still what AIB's systems have you down for. So you almost have a 500 euro "credit" floating around.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,668 ✭✭✭nlgbbbblth

Major flaw in their systems if that is the case.

Unless it's a stocking loan funds should only be drawn down once. Repaying back additional sums above the standard repayment does not entitle somebody to re-draw monies.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,708 ✭✭✭StupidLikeAFox

Just tried this, no luck unfortunately :(

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭MvsC3

Yeah i tried this too and it was a non runner, paid the odd tenner and twenty here and there to be about 300euro ahead, when i went to try to transfer it back to current account when i was stuck for cash, it just said 'insufficient funds'... Probably for the best tbh, i owe them enough

• Registered Users Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

Things may well have changed and in the current climate they probably have got wise to this. however, no need to zombie a thread from a while back for this in breach of the forum charter

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement