Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Thieves

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,953 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

Or, to put it another way, Gardaí manage the Gardaí. The minister for the Dept of Justice 'manages' it in much the same way that the minister of Finance manages the ESB - i.e. not at all.

Well, yeah. Where's this going? :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,455 ✭✭✭✭Monty Burnz

Well, yeah. Where's this going? :confused:
    I'm just observing that as the ultimate state-sector, competition free activity, policing lags the rest of human enterprise by - it would appear - 50 years. This isn't strictly their fault, but perhaps some time and energy could be put into looking at what lessons can be taken from the business world and applied to tackling crime (like the PULSE example - bringing Irish policing bang up to the 1960s).

• Registered Users Posts: 739 ✭✭✭bradknowell

1. I was only joking.

2. Just because you have a new username doesn't mean you're a newb. ;)
    I'm only gowling. That's how I troll lol

• Registered Users Posts: 13,953 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

I'm just observing that as the ultimate state-sector, competition free activity, policing lags the rest of human enterprise by - it would appear - 50 years. This isn't strictly their fault, but perhaps some time and energy could be put into looking at what lessons can be taken from the business world and applied to tackling crime (like the PULSE example - bringing Irish policing bang up to the 1960s).

Ah, i see, and i agree, some modernisation and business know how should be brought into the force, as the majority of those with the power to make changes were promoted into those positions, possibly without any prior experience/knowledge in management, and by doing a course it makes them immediately able to manage a division/region/force.

I also know that there was a state of the art system coming to Waterford prior to the recession, and was at signature stage before being pulled the day before it was signed, which would have made Waterford Garda Station the most advanced Garda station in the country, and one of the most advanced in Europe (all in terms of resource management/crime tracking).

But, all this is now on the long finger due to bugdetary cuts, the recession, taxes, etc. The force is getting smaller, regardless of what the media or others say, and it is and will continue to have a negative effect.

• Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭d3exile

Because if you did find them and had to use your hurley, you would be charged, not them.

Charged? Sure they'd never catch you, they're useless and lazy, with outdated computer systems and they manage themselves, answerable to no one blah blah blah blah

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,455 ✭✭✭✭Monty Burnz

d3exile wrote: »
    Charged? Sure they'd never catch you, they're useless and lazy, with outdated computer systems and they manage themselves, answerable to no one blah blah blah blah
    They wouldn't have to catch you because it wouldn't occur to you to do a runner. By the way, are you following the thread from TBH about the person crashing into his car and driving off? He's been chasing the guard responsible for it for weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 rinsedpie

A friend caught an 18yearold African boy shoplifting in his groceries today; caught him as he was about to reach the door; garda was called; shockingly they warned him that the boy could sue him as he HAS NOT MADE IT OUT OF HIS SHOP YET and therefore couldnt be arrested..and he was released! My friend got his merchandise back. LOL! the law in this country almost favours the criminals. If that boy was caught in his native country, he would have been beaten senseless.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭Tubbs4

rinsedpie wrote: »
    A friend caught an 18yearold African boy shoplifting in his groceries today; caught him as he was about to reach the door; garda was called; shockingly they warned him that the boy could sue him as he HAS NOT MADE IT OUT OF HIS SHOP YET and therefore couldnt be arrested..and he was released! My friend got his merchandise back. LOL! the law in this country almost favours the criminals. If that boy was caught in his native country, he would have been beaten senseless.

Your friend should of known that you can not accuse anyone of robbing until they leave the store with goods.
    This law was around for seats and an Irish person can also sue.
    While it is a stupid law that can be abused by dropping the goods before you leave the store and then sue if accused.

I feel bad for your friend and hopes he is not sued but he learnt today some laws.

Sorry if off topic from the original post.

Thanks Tubbs, he asked me to ask around if this was true, so, there you go. I'll let him to look out for this sort of thing.
    Tubbs4 wrote: »
    Your friend should of known that you can not accuse anyone of robbing until they leave the store with goods.
    This law was around for seats and an Irish person can also sue.
    While it is a stupid law that can be abused by dropping the goods before you leave the store and then sue if accused.

I feel bad for your friend and hopes he is not sued but he learnt today some laws.

Sorry if off topic from the original post.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,695 ✭✭✭Media999

So a security guard / shopkeeper can just grab anyone they feel like while there still in the shop , rough them up and use the excuse he thought they where robbing.

Such a racist bringing the fact hes African into it. Sounds like a sh*t racist businessman who needs to be educated.

Hope your racist friend is sued for being a fool and not knowing basic laws. No pity at all.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

We don;t need any Dub racists on this thread.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,165 ✭✭✭deisedave

Media999 wrote: »
    So a security guard / shopkeeper can just grab anyone they feel like while there still in the shop , rough them up and use the excuse he thought they where robbing.

Such a racist bringing the fact hes African into it. Sounds like a sh*t racist businessman who needs to be educated.

Hope your racist friend is sued for being a fool and not knowing basic laws. No pity at all.

Yeah in my experience if I was to be paranoid of anyone specific minority robbing, Africans would not be anywhere near the top of my list.

Media999 wrote: »

i think it was very unfair for my friend. the boy was caught on his cctv and the gardai seen it. nothing to do with race, whoever is caught stealing should not get away with it. the boy says he bought the thing in another shop etc. when it happens to you only then you will feel it is suppose, no wonder my friend was so mad. i think that shop ws insured of course but thats beside the point. so the kid got away with it to do it another day elsewhere knowing that even when he was shown the video of himself he still got away scott free.

Advertisement