Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Possible to secure employment before moving to Aus?

Options
  • 08-06-2012 1:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,608 ✭✭✭

Hello,

I'm at the early stages of looking into a move to Aus some time around June 2013.

I'm living in the UK at the moment and have a job. By the time I make the move I'll have about 18 months post-grad experience. I'm looking at getting a 476 visa "Skilled – Recognised Graduate (Temporary)". I don't know if anyone's familiar with that but basically it's for those who have completed an engineering degree from one of their recognised institutions within the last two years. It gives me 18 months which I'm hoping will make me more attractive to employers than a WHV.

Ideally, I'd like to secure a job before I move over but I'm aware that this may not be possible. Has anyone here managed to get a job before they left? Will companies be inclined to give my application serious consideration or will it be seen as someone on the other side of the world half-heartedly testing the water?

If I have to start from scratch when I arrive over there it's going to be more risky and more expensive. I'm a bit worried about tooling around for months trying to get a job with my funds dwindling.

Any input appreciated.

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

Wow not one Irish, French, or Italian uni on that list!

When I went to NZ a few years back I was told by a few recruitment agencies that they wouldn't deal with me until I was in the country. Similarly a few companies said they'd meet me when I was in the country. No one was too interested when I was still in Ireland.

I was travelling on the WHV visa at the time so was limited to 12 months in the country. There is certainly no harm in sending out C.V.'s and that as you'll be there 18 months but I'd be surprised if people will deal with you at least until you've flights booked. Actually just read that you're thinking of going in June 2013! You'd be wasting your time sending off stuff now I'd say. Think about it, would you apply to a company in Ireland/UK now when you could only start in 12 months time?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,608 ✭✭✭breadmonkey

Thanks for the reply Cat. Yeah it's a strange bunch of unis on that list - I'm quite fortunate really. I wasn't going to start applying now for June 2013 - was thinking of getting the ball rolling a few months before making the move!

When you say companies agreed to meet you, was that a case of you sending a CV and them getting back to you with a sort of "give us a call again when you get over here"? I'm wary of blowing my chances with lots of companies by applying from afar and getting rejected (if that makes sense).

I recognise you from the Engineering forum, are you mech or civil?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

Yeah it was a give us a call when you get over here, in fairness the ones I followed up did too.

I wouldn't have had the experience you'll have when you get over there though, I'd about 9 months as a mech eng. Also I was in New Zealand so I can't comment on Australia fully.

I'm not sure what you mean by a few months before you move. To me that's next May if you leave next June. Even at that it would be 4 weeks at the most before you leave.

Even when you get over there you're not going to be able to start work straight away due to jet lag etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 697 ✭✭✭gent9662

First and formost I would get your linkedin page setup with a picture of yourself. I was trying for over 7 months to secure employment in Perth with a relocation package included. I have over 12 years in the oil and gas industry and currently in employment.

I had a large amount of interest and got to a few second round interviews however it seems the companies always went for the local candidate as opposed to choosing me. However, I did manage to get what I wanted just last week. Full time role with full relocation. Now, this particular company was passed my CV by a friend of mine who secured employment with them some months ago.

Oz is being inundated with scam cv's and applicants so they are very very wary of applicants from abroad. I would recommend you try to get a contact over there that could put your cv forward. Failing that I would be happy to help you out in a few months when I start working over there.

Best of luck and never say die, keep plugging away and you will get what you want.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,608 ✭✭✭breadmonkey

Thanks lads.

@ dclane - is your company strictly oil and gas or more broad civil engineering? I'll be looking for bridge-related work.

• Advertisement
Advertisement