Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

HELP: HL LC Irish 2012 -question 2b and 3b paper 2

• 08-06-2012 2:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 29

in paper 2 there are 2 questions on poems and prose u have to choose one. The first Q is on a given poem/prose and the 2nd Q is for an optional poem/prose u have studied.

it was my impression that the 2nd option is for like repeat students who know the last courses poems.

What I wana know is can I learn last years poems &proses &answer that 2nd Q instead?

Basically I wana know what the catch is, do u have to be a repeat student from last years honours class to be allowed to answer that Q?

Because why would I learn 5poems and 5prose from this yearrs course and not know which 1 will be chosen if I can simply learn 1prose 1poem from last year &know them like the back of my hand to answer the 2nd optional poem/prose Q?

Why isn't every1 doin that, learnin the 2 poems/prose from last year instead of the 10poems/prose from this yr??

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 29 biddy boop

oh further more, i am a mature student that sat ordinary level irish 10 years ago

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 909 ✭✭✭gaeilgebeo

It is not as simple as you have stated.

To do the "cúrsa roghnach", you would need to know a poem written by a man, written by a woman, a modern poem, an old traditional Irish poem etc.... The question can be very specific ie, "Write an evaluation of a traditional poem you studied written by a woman".
    Same goes for prose, man/woman/modern/drama/folklore.

If you look back on past papers, the questions are specific so you will not get away with learning one poem and one story.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 238 ✭✭Boober Fraggle

Same goes for the prose, it will ask specifically for gearrscéal, sliocht as úrscéal, dráma, dírbheathaisnéis, scéal béaloidis, so you still cover the same amount of prose, just that you (or your teacher!) gets to pick which ones.

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭cailindana

It doesnt say anywhere on the paper that question 3b is for cúrsa roghnach or that you cant use the poems from the prescribed list to answer that question.. I know that that is the case but I think they should make it very clear to the students. I know one student who answered question 3b with Géibheann!

cailindana wrote: »
    It doesnt say anywhere on the paper that question 3b is for cúrsa roghnach or that you cant use the poems from the prescribed list to answer that question.. I know that that is the case but I think they should make it very clear to the students. I know one student who answered question 3b with Géibheann!

A student should be familiar with the layout of the paper at the very least. :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

gaeilgebeo wrote: »
    A student should be familiar with the layout of the paper at the very least. :rolleyes:

So does that mean that there should be no instructions because sure everyone will know what they have to do?! I dont think so. I know that students should know the layout but the paper should have instructions just so everyone is certain of what theyre doing on the day when nerves and other pressures eg. time are to the front of their minds!!

So does that mean that there should be no instructions because sure everyone will know what they have to do?! I dont think so. I know that students should know the layout but the paper should have instructions just so everyone is certain of what theyre doing on the day when nerves and other pressures eg. time are to the front of their minds!!

There are instructions on the paper. :confused:

Answer either course A or course B.

The ourse A question will have the poem you have studied for 2 years printed on it.
    The hint is kind of there.

gaeilgebeo wrote: »
    There are instructions on the paper. :confused:

Answer either course A or course B.

The ourse A question will have the poem you have studied for 2 years printed on it.
    The hint is kind of there.

Are you honestly saying you think its ok for leaving cert students to have to rely on 'hints' from the paper?!
    Ya it says do either 3A or 3B but it doesnt say that in order to answer 3B you cant use any of the prescribed poems and naturally if a student doesnt like a poem in 3A and sees a fairly open question in 3B with nothing to say they cant do it ANYWHERE obviously theyre gonna try it!
    I know if they know the layout of the paper well their teacher should have explained that they cant do 3B.. thats another story!!

Are you honestly saying you think its ok for leaving cert students to have to rely on 'hints' from the paper?!
    Ya it says do either 3A or 3B but it doesnt say that in order to answer 3B you cant use any of the prescribed poems and naturally if a student doesnt like a poem in 3A and sees a fairly open question in 3B with nothing to say they cant do it ANYWHERE obviously theyre gonna try it!
    I know if they know the layout of the paper well their teacher should have explained that they cant do 3B.. thats another story!!

If you are doing higher level Irish for the Leaving Cert, you should have the basic competency in the language to read the instructions given.
    You should also know the layout of your paper inside out.
    You should have practiced past questions from exam papers which would also have helped.
    You also did a pre paper which should have sorted out any confusion with the layout.
    The instructions on the paper are more than adequate.

"If you are doing higher level Irish for the Leaving Cert, you should have the basic competency in the language to read the instructions given."
    The whole point of my post was that there are no clear instructions given. I agree with everything you say but I think if there were clearer more exact instructions it would assure students that theyre doing the right questions! Thats all, I didnt want to start an argument about it!

• Advertisement
Advertisement