Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Euro 2012 Group A

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,801 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

You guys must be watching a different arshavin than me he's terrible
    He started pretty well, has faded badly now though.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,443 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hammer Archer

keith16 wrote: »
    The one he got booked for mouthing about wasn't a foul...
    Yes it was in my view. Despite what Ronnie Whelan said, I thought the Polish player didn't get any touch on the ball. Add to that the penalty shout in the first half and I'm not sure if it was him that was fouled running through on goal before his booking but to me that was a foul too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,465 ✭✭✭kitakyushu

You guys must be watching a different arshavin than me he's terrible

Yeah, Arshavin occasionally resembles a smooth brazilian, but not today.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,191 ✭✭✭BKC

I'm not sure if it was him that was fouled running through on goal before his booking but to me that was a foul too.

That was Kerzhakov.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭keith16

Yes it was in my view. Despite what Ronnie Whelan said, I thought the Polish player didn't get any touch on the ball. Add to that the penalty shout in the first half and I'm not sure if it was him that was fouled running through on goal before his booking but to me that was a foul too.

I don't care what Ronnie Whealan said. I'm saying it wasn't a foul because it wasn't. Poland won the ball cleanly on that occasion. Very clear from the replay.

• Advertisement

keith16 wrote: »
    I don't care what Ronnie Whealan said. I'm saying it wasn't a foul because it wasn't. Poland won the ball cleanly on that occasion. Very clear from the replay.
    And I think it was a foul :confused: No need to get antsy about it.

If this game has shown me anything it's that this idea of "inferior teams should sit back and contain" isn't always correct. Ireland could have put in a performance like this against Russia and we wouldn't have got totally over-run twice. I'm not saying it'd work every time but Russia look like consummate bottlers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭keith16

And I think it was a foul :confused: No need to get antsy about it.

ah no fair enough...not getting antsy at all amigo..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,891 ✭✭✭✭klose

Arshavin doing nothing but giving the ball away all second half

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,116 ✭✭✭Professional Griefer

That is such a silly thing to do.

• Advertisement

Arshavin you retard!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,019 ✭✭✭✭adox

Come on Poland. One last chance.

If a Russian took a chance there it may have been game over. Obviously they're more than happy with a point.

As it stands, all 4 teams still have a chance to qualify from group A and all 4 teams can still go home. Hopefully it's the same for Group C after Thursday :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

Applause all round!! Brilliant match!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,040 ✭✭✭markie29

poor reaction by Obraniak after being subbed.....great game though!!

• Site Banned Posts: 26,456 ✭✭✭✭Nuri Sahin

Wonderfully entertaining game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,019 ✭✭✭✭adox

Brilliant game to watch.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,949 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

Very entertaining game!

That was a great game, would have loved to see Poland win. The Poland Czech game is gonna be a cracker.

markie29 wrote: »
    poor reaction by Obraniak after being subbed.....great game though!!

It was a stupid substitution though to be fair!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,432 ✭✭✭df1985

great game! hope a draw keeps everyone happy.

Seeing the trouble beforehand if you were bringing a wife/kids to it, you'd be bricking it leaving the stadium now!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,839 ✭✭✭Jelle1880

What a game that was.

Full Polish police force out there it seems :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,040 ✭✭✭markie29

BKC wrote: »
    It was a stupid substitution though to be fair!

yeah for sure

• Registered Users Posts: 4,672 ✭✭✭elefant

Arshavin was moving around likea 60 year old man at the end there!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,480 ✭✭✭✭cson

elefant wrote: »
    Arshavin was moving around likea 60 year old man at the end there!

Or rather Arshavin was moving around like he usually did in an Arsenal shirt.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,594 ✭✭✭kingshankly

The amount of times Russia gave the ball away when in a promising position was incredible but there great to watch

• Registered Users Posts: 4,672 ✭✭✭elefant

cson wrote: »
    Or rather Arshavin was moving around like he usually did in an Arsenal shirt.

I haven't seen much of Arsenal this season. That's an exaggeration right? He didn't end up like that in every game surely, unless he's a chronic chain-smoker!

Just seen some of the violence on SSN from the Russian and Poland fans. Shocking scenes.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,630 ✭✭✭steelcityblues

Don't think it is that good of a result for Poland. They had enough momentum in the 2nd half to win it.

If it means that mediocre Czech side make it to the quarters, then it is a pity.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

Don't think it is that good of a result for Poland. They had enough momentum in the 2nd half to win it.

If it means that mediocre Czech side make it to the quarters, then it is a pity.

But if that mediocre Czech side are beaten by the home nation, then it's fine, which i think will happen. The Czechs and Poland are as bad as each other, but i hope and think the Poles will take advantage of their home advantage!

monkey9 wrote: »
    But if that mediocre Czech side are beaten by the home nation, then it's fine, which i think will happen. The Czechs and Poland are as bad as each other, but i hope and think the Poles will take advantage of their home advantage!

Poland are not world beaters, but they are better. Apart from the first 15 mins today, the Czechs have brought nothing good to the tournament. Well, apart from a bit of Petr Cech comedy.

Hoping for a narrow Poland victory because that will mean Russia will only need a point against Greece to top the group.

Russia should beat Greece easily enough though but you never know!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,704 ✭✭✭G.K.

Poland aren't actually that bad, the First XI at least anyway.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,428 Mod ✭✭✭✭DM_7

Poland are not bad at all.

They played really well at time tonight. They have skillful and intelligent players. They don't have a great squad but the first 11 was pretty good in my opinion and I was surprised they didn't beat Greece.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,891 ✭✭✭✭klose

Yeah poland are fairly good tbf and should have won really, was surprised to see em almost happy to settle for a draw. They have to beat the czechs now and thats no certainty although I would fancy poland to win the way the game shapes up now nothing is certain.

Should be a cracking match day on saturday, greece and czech republic to go through :pac:

• Advertisement

GD isn't a primary issue, is it? I mean if Greece beat Russia then they will finish ahead of them no matter what?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,992 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

kitakyushu wrote: »
    GD isn't a primary issue, is it? I mean if Greece beat Russia then they will finish ahead of them no matter what?
    Huh? What happens if Greece beat Russia and the Czech Republic draw with Poland?

Then you have a situation by what you are saying that Greece are ahead of Russia but the Czech Republic are ahead of Greece but the Russians are ahead of the Czech Republic.

eagle eye wrote: »
    Huh? What happens if Greece beat Russia and the Czech Republic draw with Poland?

Then you have a situation by what you are saying that Greece are ahead of Russia but the Czech Republic are ahead of Greece but the Russians are ahead of the Czech Republic.

Good mention.

I guess if Greece , Russia and Czech all finish with 4 then you get a mini-league that Russia would most likely win on GD. So I suppose Greece might hope Czech do anything but draw v Poland?

Good mention.

I guess if Greece , Russia and Czech all finish with 4 then you get a mini-league that Russia would most likely win on GD. So I suppose Greece might hope Czech do anything but draw v Poland?

The mini-league scenario is based on the GD between the three, isn't it? So, that certainly works against the Czechs after the Russia hammering. Greece are not good enough to hammer Russia, either.

So head-to-head is the deciding factor and not goal difference?

Didn't know that!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,796 ✭✭✭✭Pudsy33

So head-to-head is the deciding factor and not goal difference?

Didn't know that!

Its not, its goal difference.

Pudsy33 wrote: »
    Its not, its goal difference.

Okay thank you. That makes things easier to understand for my bet I suppose.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,796 ✭✭✭✭Pudsy33

Okay thank you. That makes things easier to understand for my bet I suppose.

I'm almost sure

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/UEFA_Euro_2012#Group_stage

Yeah it seems GD is still the decider like in the old days. That's a bit of a pisser for Greece then.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/UEFA_Euro_2012_Group_A

The wiki is talking about Greece having to get things like 6 goal wins against Russia if Czech draw , but I don't see where they're getting that notion from.

By my reckoning if Greece beat Russia 1-0 and Czech drew 0-0 with Poland then Russia (1st) and Greece (2nd) would go thru under the GD rules?

Russia 4pts +2
    Greece 4pts 0
    Czech Republic 4pt -2
    Poland 3pts 0

By my reckoning if Greece beat Russia 1-0 and Czech drew 0-0 with Poland then Russia (1st) and Greece (2nd) would go thru under the GD rules?

Sounds right to me anyway!

• Site Banned Posts: 26,456 ✭✭✭✭Nuri Sahin

G.K. wrote: »
    Poland aren't actually that bad, the First XI at least anyway.

It isn't bad. Haven't been particularly impressed with Boenisch at LB, and I feel their lack of a proper ball playing CM who can control the tempo of games as well as playing a killer pass is what is costing them. The latter moreso than the former is an issue.

Lacks of options on the bench isn't helping neither.

What's the story with the matches tomorrow? I assume RTE will be showing the Poland match? If so, will the Russia match be streamed on the website?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,818 ✭✭✭swoody

What's the story with the matches tomorrow? I assume RTE will be showing the Poland match? If so, will the Russia match be streamed on the website?
    Poland vs Czech Republic will be on the telly and Greece vs Russia will be online (or on the telly when something happens) both games KO at 19:45 GMT

Let the split personality time begin! (one game on tv and one on laptop)

• Advertisement
Advertisement