Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Euro 2012 Group A

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,191 ✭✭✭BKC

Need the Russians to top the group. Hopefully they do their job against Greece so that it's in their own hands.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

Go Alan, go!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,796 ✭✭✭✭Pudsy33

Looking forward to these game, hope poland can go through

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

BKC wrote: »
    What's the story with the matches tomorrow? I assume RTE will be showing the Poland match? If so, will the Russia match be streamed on the website?

BBC1 and RTE2 have chosen the same game but BBC3 is showing Greece/Russia. As a heads up tomorrow ITV have both games ITV1 and ITV4

• Registered Users Posts: 526 ✭✭✭To Alcohol

Hope Poland make it through.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,818 ✭✭✭swoody

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,888 ✭✭✭Charisteas

mike65 wrote: »
    BBC1 and RTE2 have chosen the same game but BBC3 is showing Greece/Russia. As a heads up tomorrow ITV have both games ITV1 and ITV4

So Greece vs Russia wont be streamed on RTE player either?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,178 ✭✭✭_Bella_

kitakyushu wrote: »
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/UEFA_Euro_2012_Group_A

The wiki is talking about Greece having to get things like 6 goal wins against Russia if Czech draw , but I don't see where they're getting that notion from.

By my reckoning if Greece beat Russia 1-0 and Czech drew 0-0 with Poland then Russia (1st) and Greece (2nd) would go thru under the GD rules?

Russia 4pts +2
    Greece 4pts 0
    Czech Republic 4pt -2
    Poland 3pts 0

I think if the Czech Republic and Poland draw and Greece win, Greece still go out because of their head to head with the Czechs?

By my reckoning if Greece beat Russia 1-0 and Czech drew 0-0 with Poland then Russia (1st) and Greece (2nd) would go thru under the GD rules?

Yes that is correct.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,465 ✭✭✭kitakyushu

^^ I think when I posted that I was under the impression Euros were still using GD ahead of H2H, which I hope (because I keep hearing both ways) is finally not the case.

_Bella_ wrote: »
    I think if the Czech Republic and Poland draw and Greece win, Greece still go out because of their head to head with the Czechs?

No, if Greece win, they are through to knockout stages, doesn't matter what happens in other game.

^^ I think when I posted that I was under the impression Euros were still using GD ahead of H2H, which I hope (because I keep hearing both ways) is finally not the case.

Head-to-head is used if 2 teams finish on same points.

Charisteas wrote: »
    Head-to-head is used if 2 teams finish on same points.

Goal difference is used if 3 or 4 teams finish on same points.

I thought (say if three teams finish on 4pts) that they draw up a mini-league based on those three teams results vs each other and then judge that ranking based on pts , then h2h between the 3 and only then GD?

No? Oh whatever, I'll just watch the games and let the tables work themselves out. :)

I thought (say if three teams finish on 4pts) that they draw up a mini-league based on those three teams results vs each other and then judge that ranking based on pts , then h2h between the 3 and only then GD?

No? Oh whatever, I'll just watch the games and let the tables work themselves out. :)

Yeah just checked the UEFA website, your correct (again!). Also they say this -

Russia will be through with a draw, and could even afford a defeat by fewer than six goals if the other game finishes level.
    Greece will be through with a win, and out with a draw or loss.
    Czech Republic will advance with a win. They could even afford to draw unless Greece beat Russia by five goals or fewer.
    Poland will be through with a win, and out with a draw or loss

I think the simplest way of looking at it is :
    1) the only way there can be a three-way tie is if Czech draw. Win or lose and it's not an issue.
    2) any team that wins their game today is going to the QF's (with the only exception being a threeway tie resulting out of a Greece win / Czech draw).

Basically every team should almost be treating their game like a cup tie and go for the win.

• Advertisement

russia and poland will win no need for permutations....

Basically every team should almost be treating their game like a cup tie and go for the win.

Yeah it should make for two exciting games where all teams are attacking.

I'm predicting a narrow win for Greece and a draw in Czech/Poland game, which would mean Russia win the group and Greece finish second.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,630 ✭✭✭steelcityblues

Charisteas wrote: »
    Yeah it should make for two exciting games where all teams are attacking.

I'm predicting a narrow win for Greece and a draw in Czech/Poland game, which would mean Russia win the group and Greece finish second.

Are you actually Greek?

If so, best of luck tonight.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,949 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

How come both games are on at the same time this evening?

Mars Bar wrote: »

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/West_Germany_1%E2%80%930_Austria_(1982_FIFA_World_Cup)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,796 ✭✭✭✭Pudsy33

Mars Bar wrote: »

All last round games are. It would be unfair if one game was played early, as the two teams playing later would have an advantage in knowing for sure what result sees them through.

• Site Banned Posts: 26,456 ✭✭✭✭Nuri Sahin

Is the Dortmund Poland game on RTE tonight?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,431 ✭✭✭Felexicon

-Ade- wrote: »
    Is the Dortmund Poland game on RTE tonight?
    Yes

poland/czech is on bbc1 and greece/russia is on bbc3 also

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,763 ✭✭✭Jax Teller

#POL XI v #CZE Tyton, Piszczek, Wasilewski, Perquis, Boenisch, Dudka, Polanski, Murawski, Obraniak, Blaszczykowski, Lewandowski” 

Chesney left out .

#CZE XI v #POL Cech, Gebre Selassie, Kadlec, Sivok, Limbersky, Plasil, Hubschman, Jiracek, Kolar, Pilar, Baros” 

#GRE v #RUS Sifakis, Torosidis, Papastathopoulos, K. Papadopoulos, Tzavelas, Maniatis, Karagounis, Katsouranis, Salpingidis, Samaras, Gekas” 

#RUS v #GRE Malafeev, Anyukov, Ignashevich, A. Berezutski, Zhirkov, Denisov, Shirokov, Glushakov, Dzagoev, Arshavin, Kerzhakov” 

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,416 ✭✭✭Jimmy Iovine

#POL XI v #CZE Tyton, Piszczek, Wasilewski, Perquis, Boenisch, Dudka, Polanski, Murawski, Obraniak, Blaszczykowski, Lewandowski” 

Chesney left out .

Ha I was joking with a friend about this after he got sent off in the first game. Didn't think it'd actually happen. He won't be too happy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,704 ✭✭✭G.K.

Delighted for tyton.

Rosicky missing for Czech, big blow for them.

Ha I was joking with a friend about this after he got sent off in the first game. Didn't think it'd actually happen. He won't be too happy.
    tyton is the reason poland are still in with a chance...he deserves to keep his place!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,190 ✭✭✭✭IvySlayer

A straight red is 3 match ban no?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,704 ✭✭✭G.K.

No.

IvySlayer wrote: »

Professional foul - 1 game
    Violent conduct -3 games

IvySlayer wrote: »
    1 in euros but can be 3 if its serious

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,136 ✭✭✭✭How Soon Is Now

Whats the reason for the next few days games all being played at 7:45 does anyone know??

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

Which is the game to watch?

Whats the reason for the next few days games all being played at 7:45 does anyone know??

So they can't fix any anything .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭keith16

I'd say Poland v Czech....MON POLAND!

Greece vs Russia of course!

Look for a simulcast, that should be entertaining.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,419 ✭✭✭born2bwild

RTE is streaming both simultaneously.

You would think that George Hamilton and co. could put a little bit of effort into pronouncing names like Wrocław, it's not that hard FFS.

Czech anthem, a reserved little number, nice.

Polish anthem, much more authority and confident on the ball....therefore, I am predicting a win for Poland.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,829 ✭✭✭✭Panthro

Some noise from the crowd.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,508 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Crinklewood

John Terry has just shagged Pilars Miss.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,184 ✭✭✭✭Lapin

Shocking scuffed kick there.

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 26,456 ✭✭✭✭Nuri Sahin

Big chance already for the Czechs. Pillar could have controlled that possibly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,116 ✭✭✭Professional Griefer

We love you Poland, we do!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,694 ✭✭✭✭machiavellianme

mike65 wrote: »

BBC 1 hd has them both if you have the red button.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,829 ✭✭✭✭Panthro

Kerrs voice would go through you after a few sentences.

He can't miss that

• Advertisement
Advertisement