Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Patio Door not rolling properly on it's runners

• 08-06-2012 2:22pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,050 ✭✭✭

A friend's patio door is not rolling properly on its bottom bar. Any suggestion on what to do? I understand that one can lift the door off the runner but it weighs a ton and I'd be afraid that I might not get it back correctly in place.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,381 ✭✭✭DublinDilbert

Will need to come off, unless you can see what's catching it. If there's 2 people you'll have no problem getting it off and on again.

Often junk mail gets caught in the runners for porch doors.

If you can't see anything, take the door off, remove the rollers, steep in wd40 or white spirt, free them up and flush them with fresh oil, should be as good as new.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,262 ✭✭✭✭Joey the lips

Will need to come off, unless you can see what's catching it. If there's 2 people you'll have no problem getting it off and on again.

Often junk mail gets caught in the runners for porch doors.

If you can't see anything, take the door off, remove the rollers, steep in wd40 or white spirt, free them up and flush them with fresh oil, should be as good as new.

As said very important with door rollers when you free them with wd40 you reapply fresh oil straight away. 3 in 1 is good

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 248 ✭✭hanloj1

In last place I was in the patio door wasn't closing great. Ended up the rollers were caught up with dog hairs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,628 ✭✭✭✭looksee

I find cleaning out the channel and putting in a good slather of vaseline helps.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 589 ✭✭✭danjo

looksee wrote: »
    I find cleaning out the channel and putting in a good slather of vaseline helps.

The problem I had when I did this was that the vaseline collected all the dirt and it ended up blocking the runners. I used it on an external door so it might work better on an internal one where there would be less grime.

I use WD40 and then spray it with silicone lubricant (from Lidl).

• Advertisement
Advertisement