Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Swordsmanship

• 08-06-2012 2:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭

Hiya

I'm thinking about founding an association that would gather around people who want to learn swordsmanship/fencing/fighting using vast array of medieval weapons.
    Are there any similar organizations here in Ireland? Are there any knight brotherhoods in the area I could talk to about this?

All feedback greatly appreciated :)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 622 ✭✭✭Deise Musashi

Only thing similar I've heard of is either traditional fencing schools, SCA groups or the likes of Schola Gladiatoria

http://www.loughdevnaree.org/

http://www.fioredeiliberi.org/

Best of luck with it!

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭xyl.az

Thanks very much for this!

Just reading through it - very useful info! Cheers!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,705 ✭✭✭✭Tigger

Want

Spefically German fencing ( long sword or bast3erd sword)
    But generally this
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Historical_martial_arts_reconstruction#Reconstruction

I've read up on a lot of the old manuals and it's a well developed and far more detailed than one would expect.

Hi Tigger,

That's exactly what I'm aiming for as well.

Anyone else interested in swords fighting? I can provide training, access to cheap fighting swords, armors and lots of contacts. With the right people it could get really interesting :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 169 ✭✭MBateson

These guys do historical sword fighting demonstrations at a local castle every year.

www.eireannedge.ie I can't load their website but their FaceBook page of the same name is coming up. http://www.facebook.com/EireannEdge

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 673 ✭✭✭pearsquasher

Are there any similar organizations here in Ireland?

Bujinkan
    ..... albeit Japanese. But in my experience, the similar principles apply. (naturally enough)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,879 ✭✭✭Coriolanus

I'd be quite interested. I've wanted to pick up -a- martial art for a while but nothing has really pulled me in. This would.
    Did Olympic fencing in ucd for a bit but found it a bit restrictive.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,783 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

Dr Alan Peatfield out in UCD used to be very knowledgeable about european swordplay. No idea if he still trains this stuff or has an interest, but I'd guess that if he didn't he'd know someone who did. Niall Keane who posts on here regularly is also pretty handy with sword, sabre and spear and could take you through a fair amount of practical techniques, but it's primarily going to be based around chinese swordplay. Good stuff mind you, use to be very fond of the sabre (single handed chinese broadsword) myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭whitetigerkungf

xyl.az wrote: »
    Hiya

I'm thinking about founding an association that would gather around people who want to learn swordsmanship/fencing/fighting using vast array of medieval weapons.
    Are there any similar organizations here in Ireland? Are there any knight brotherhoods in the area I could talk to about this?

All feedback greatly appreciated :)

Hi the Iaido Association of Ireland, www.Iaido.ie, would be a place to start if your looking for Japanese swordsmanship. Iaido is pretty much totally sword based with very little unarmed techniques. The site should point you in the direction of dojo's in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 184 ✭✭KathleenMcCabe

I'm part of a WMA study group in Tallaght.

Classes are on in Kingswood Community Hall, tallaght. Just 2 mins walk from the Kingswood Luas stop (red line).
    The classes are from 11.30-1.00 on Saturdays and are 10euro per class pay as you go however, the first class is free.

WMA for us covers:
    the longsword of italian Fiore Dei Liberi,
    the dagger,
    grappling, sword and buckler from the I.33
    and also the german longsword of Johannes Liechtenauer.
    We mostly cover longsword of italian Fiore Dei Liberi.
    You don't need any previous experience and the idea is that we have an open and friendly class and students contribute with their ideas on the art whenever they would like.

For more info:www.nafiannafinn.com

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,029 ✭✭✭HammerHeadGym

You could try and find the society for creative anacronism. Think the're in tallaght. Joe Jequinta (Spelling?) is the main guy there.
    They use wooden swords for fighting practise, steel armour, shields etc. Did it for a few years and I found it awesome fun.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,967 ✭✭✭laoch na mona

i would love to do some medieval sword fighting

OK people,

Just a quick update: this will be starting soon, anyone interested in historical fighting (Cork area) please send me PM

I will post more info next week,

• Registered Users Posts: 2 ronanocaoimh

Hi all, if anyone is in the West Cork area I run sword-fighting classes every Wednesday in the Abbeystrewry community hall, Skibbereen town from 7.30 to 8.30. PM me for more details.

Rónán

Hi everyone!

Better late than never right? This is to officially confirm that we are starting our Historical Sword Fighting school.

Anyone who's interested please PM me for more details, so far we got only 4 people so we're training outdoors weather permitting :D

We might rent some room for training specifically if we get more people involved.

All people are welcome!

Cheers
    Andrew

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Demondog

pm sent

• Registered Users Posts: 10 gotobread

good luck with it!!

Hi All !

We got our own place now!

For anyone interested in historical sword fighting (HEMA, WMA) we rent a place now at little island community centre and we'll be starting this week on Sunday the 27th of Jan 2013, 8:30pm

Planned schedule at the moment is as follows:

Sundays 8:30 pm & Fridays 8:30 pm

Everyone is welcome!

It's FREE for everyone on the start, so if you're just curious your welcome to just come and see for yourself!

For people who would want to continue with training there will be a fee of around 10 euro p/person to cover the cost of rent + insurance (amount may change depending on the number of people)

For all interested: this is a STUDY GROUP on historical european martial arts (HEMA) or Western European Martial Arts (WMA) - at the moment we're concentrating on the Longsword but we'll try to cover full spectrum: grappling, knife/dagger, sword and buckler, single sword, rapier, sabre, polearms. As we're kind of short on the equipment we have to limit it somehow so everyone with their own equipment (reenactment people etc) is VERY welcome :)

For more info PM me :)

Thanks
    Andrew

IMPORTANT UPDATE

Hi again, sorry for this but I just got an email from the comm centre and it appears that they have some tournament there on Sunday and they need to push all time slots by 30 mins.

So on Sunday 27th it will be 9:00 pm !

Starting from next week all slots will be at 8:30pm as normal

Also, here are directions to the comm centre:

51.900495,-8.368074

(just put it into google maps, gps etc., ), basically you need to take the first main right after the roundabout (this is technically still the main road but the bend is in the middle of the crossroads so it looks kinda wierd) then just go straight until you see the big building (on the right) with a huge parking - that's it :)

Thanks and see you all there!
    Andrew

• Closed Accounts Posts: 54 ✭✭Howbad

Thanks for the update Andrew,all going well will see you tomorrow night,well done on getting everything sorted......

• Advertisement

Thanks everyone for coming on Sunday!

Next Trainings:

8:30pm Friday

8:30pm Sunday

Thanks
    Andrew

Hello everyone!

We have now a facebook page if someone's interested:

http://www.facebook.com/CorkBlademasters

Please promote :)

Cheers
    Andrew

Hi everyone!

Just a reminder here - we're doing great, trainings are twice a week and there are more people and equipment coming soon!

For anyone that wants to try historical fencing, feel free to come to our longsword classes:

SUNDAY 8:30 PM,
    FRIDAY 8:30 PM

Fee: 6 Euro (last week promo!) First Timers Free!

51.900495,-8.368074 (just put it into your google maps, gps, etc.,)

End of Promotion Soon: Fee will increase to 10 euro starting from next week (22nd of March 2013). Good news is, more equipment will follow as we'll start to do more formal courses from April.

Single Swords and Sabres coming soon!

http://www.facebook.com/CorkBlademasters

Regards
    Andrew

Important!

Sunday's training is canceled due to St Patrick's - most people decided they won't be able to come on Sunday which I don't find surprising at all :)

We'll be meeting next Friday 8:30 PM then!

Happy St Patrick's everyone !
    Andrew

Hi All,

This is just a reminder on our training sessions:

Next 2 sessions are cancelled due to Easter holidays, we're coming back on Friday 5th of April 2013!

For everyone who wants to avail of free delivery from knightshop ( http://www.theknightshop.co.uk/ ), please contact me before this friday - 29th of March

Thanks
    Andrew

PS. Matt PM me with your order before Friday if you need something!

Hi All,

Our group is growing steadily!

So here's for all who are still hesitating:

https://www.facebook.com/CorkBlademasters

Is a HEMA (historical european martial arts) group teaching medieval fighting techniques, currently on with the longsword trainings.

Our training sessions are:

SUNDAY 8:30 PM,
    FRIDAY 8:30 PM

Fee: 10 Euro per person / First Timers Free!

New Website should be online soon!

Hi All,

Just a reminder:

Today's training is on as usual but Sunday's training is canceled due to bank holiday weekend

We'll be back next Friday!

Fee: 10 Euro per person / First Timers Free!

New Website should be online soon!

Hi Everyone!

We have now launched an official Cork Blademasters website:

http://corkblademasters.wordpress.com

I will be taking all training updates there from now on - so no more spam for you :) Also, I apologize for the lack of content - I'll try to update it with more info as soon as I can.

Still, our training times haven't changed:
    Friday & Sunday 8:30 PM Little Island Sport Complex

Everyone welcome!

Cheers
    Andrew

Hi Lads!

More changes - please update your bookmarks to:

www.corkblademasters.com

This is our official page now - all info regarding current training will be posted there!

and of course today's training is on! All welcome!

Thanks
    Andrew

• Advertisement

HEMA Tournament!

This Saturday (25th of May) West Cork Swordfighting Club is hosting a HEMA tournament in CORK !

There will be 16 fighters competing in 4 different categories:

1. sword and buckler
    2. short spear and buckler
    3. Longsword
    4. Mixed

Location: 'The Hut' Scout Hall at the bottom of Summerhill North in Cork city centre

Time: 10:30 AM - 5:00 PM

Everyone welcome !

More info on: www.corkblademasters.com

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,783 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

Sounds interesting, maybe post a video or two here when your finished, for all us Dubs!

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭Yendred

I have videos of the finals of the following events ready to go on YouTube:
    o sword and buckler
    o longsword
    o mixed
    I'll post links later.

Unfortunately I got caught up in refereeing the "short spear and buckler" event and didn't record it... Sorry.

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭Yendred

There's a playlist on YouTube containing the three videos.

Hi All,

Today's training is canceled due to bank holiday absences

Sorry for short notice!

www.corkblademasters.com

Hi All,

We have changed the training times that will be valid until September:

Longsword Training:

Sunday and Wednesday: 8:30 PM

www.corkblademasters.com

More News to come soon: New longsword 10 weeks course coming from September!

Cheers
    Andrew

• Advertisement

Hi All,

New Historical Fencing Course will start on Sunday 29th of Sept 2013.

All interested, please click on the image below:

longsword-course-v1-2-pxd.jpg

There are still 6 slots left! Register as soon as possible!

Thanks
    Andrew

Cork Blademasters

Hi All,

Last chance to register for the HEMA historical fencing course: German Longsword

5 slots left as of today - register now via URL below:

http://corkblademasters.com/about/german-longsword-2013-course/

Course is every Sunday evening 8:30pm starting this Sunday 29th of Sept 2013

Thanks
    Andrew

Hi People :)

It's that time of the year again - Cork Blademasters is recruiting for the new season!!!

We have new 10 weeks long historical fencing course coming in Sept 2014 - German Longsword!

If anyone's interested please book as early as possible as there are only 12 places left!

Also, there's a HEMA event in Kinsale this weekend! Longsword & Sword & Buckler tournaments with HEMA groups from all over ireland!

As I cannot post URLs here anymore - please check our website corkblademasters.com for more info!

Thanks
    Andrew
    Cork Blademasters - Historical European Martial Arts Club

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 673 ✭✭✭pearsquasher

Hi,

Just probing the general interest here - I'm getting more and more requests from people from other nearby cities (Waterford, Limerick) which due to the long distance are not able to come to Blademasters Classes in Cork.

So here's the idea, I could do two things:

Option 1: - run a monthly HEMA workshops for all interested parties - this would be in Cork during the weekends (say: Saturday 11am-5pm) so everyone have enough time to travel to Cork and back. We could do different theme each month, depending on the interest: longsword, polearm, knife/dagger, ringen etc.,

Option 2: - with enough interest (I would need to have min of 10 people for the workshop) I could eventually pack all the gear and come to Your City to do such workshop but as I would have to arrange the venue beforehand it would have to be pre-paid only.

Would you be interested in any of these?

Cheers
    Andrew
    Cork Blademasters
    www-corkblademasters-com

• Advertisement

Hi All,

Quick Update for all interested:

I'll be organizing one day longsword workshop at the end of June (most likely 27th, but that has yet to be confirmed).

Location would be Little Island Sports Centre, time: 11am - 5 pm

Workshops will cover footwork, basic techniques & sparring strategies so the aim is to have everyone ready for a sparring session at the end of the class. All equipment will be provided.

More updates to follow!

Also, our regular trainings are :

- Sundays, Little Island Sports Centre, 8:30 PM

- Thursdays, Mahon Community Centre, 7:30 PM

More info at our website: www.corkblademasters.com

thanks
    Andrew

Hi All,

So it's all set now, Summer Longsword Workshops will take place on Sat 27th of June 2015 @ little island sports centre, cork.

For more info, please click on the poster below it should redirect you to: http://corkblademasters.com/summer-longsword-workshops/

For_WEB_Share.png

Feel Free to PM me with any questions you might have

Regards
    Andrew
    Cork Blademasters
    Historical European Martial Arts School
    www.corkblademasters.com
    www.facebook.com/CorkBlademasters

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭galson

Hmm, I've always been into swordfights and loving the longsword too. I am a member of another martial art club though, and while timewise I could manage Sundays ok, I dunno how it would work for me in the long run altogether. Do you need your own sword, protection, etc.?

galson wrote: »
    Hmm, I've always been into swordfights and loving the longsword too. I am a member of another martial art club though, and while timewise I could manage Sundays ok, I dunno how it would work for me in the long run altogether. Do you need your own sword, protection, etc.?

Hi Galson,

No, you don't need anything really, all equipment will be provided :)

My suggestion would be try out the workshop and you'll see for yourself if that's something for you or not.

Trainings are Sundays and Thursdays but I will be adding one more training soon - most likely @ Mondays 7:9pm

Cheers
    Andrew

Hi Guys,

Just a quick update, Event is about 60% full so if anyone still wants to come please register as soon as possible:

http://corkblademasters.com/summer-longsword-workshops/

Facebook event page:

https://www.facebook.com/events/845701055512881/

white-small-webshare.jpg

Thanks
    Andrew
    Cork Blademasters
    Historical European Martial Arts School in Cork, Ireland

Hi All,

Last chance for the undecided: only 2 places left!

https://www.facebook.com/events/845701055512881/

thanks
    Andrew
    Cork Blademasters

REGISTRATION IS NOW CLOSED.

Everyone who did not register but would still like to attend please send me an message to info@corkblademasters.com.

Second Summer Longsword Workshop will take place at the end of July 2015, more details to follow on main Cork Blademasters page.

Thank you
    Andrew
    www.corkblademasters.com

Hi All,

Here some pictures from the event:

https://www.facebook.com/events/845701055512881/855393957876924/

Second Summer Longsword Workshop will take place on Saturday 26th of July 2015!

More info to follow soon!

Thanks
    Andrew

Morning All!

Second edition of our Summer Longsword Workshops is back on the 25th of July 2015!

A3-Color_Low_Res-small.png

Registration is now open @ http://corkblademasters.com/2nd-summer-longsword-workshops-registration-form/

Only 16 places available, book early to secure your place!

Facebook event page: https://www.facebook.com/events/1473319549628826/

Thanks
    Andrew
    Cork Blademasters
    Historical European Martial Arts School
    www.corkblademasters.com
    www.facebook.com/corkblademasters

• Advertisement
Advertisement