Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Poweredge 4600 & Microsoft Home Server 2011 64 bit

Options
  • 08-06-2012 3:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭

Hi,
    Can someone please tell me if a Dell Poweredge 4600 server is capable of running the 64 bit version of Microsoft Home Server 2011 ?
    Thanks,
    Richie.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 141 ✭✭DoubleBogey

The CPU needs a windows experience index (WEI) of 6 or more to transcode HD content. You'll have to do a bit of googling to find out the WEI for your CPU.

You may think you don't need transcoding, but you will do once you get into it. WHS is not much use without it, unless you only plan on using it as a central backup server.

The maximum RAM for WHS is 8Gb, but I remember when I was researching the common census was that 4Gb was sufficient.

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭richieoflynn

Thanks for the info. I'm just going to run it in my office and there will only be a couple of pc's accessing it every now and then so very little traffic. Will check out the WEI. The server has 6 gig of ram so I guess I should be ok there.
    What I meant to add was if the server is too old for a 64 bit OS.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 141 ✭✭DoubleBogey

Thanks for the info. I'm just going to run it in my office and there will only be a couple of pc's accessing it every now and then so very little traffic. Will check out the WEI. The server has 6 gig of ram so I guess I should be ok there.
    What I meant to add was if the server is too old for a 64 bit OS.
    If it's for an office you should take a look at Windows SBS 2011 (small business server) it's the same architecture as WHS but tailored for office use.

So, never got the Dell but did acquire a HP Proliant DL3200 G5P with 4 hard drives. They're all connected to the onboard sata ports and I've got them configured in the system as 2 seperate RAID 1 partitions. I'm having a bit of trouble installing the OS with RAID because WHS 2011 can't find the drivers for the onboard RAID.

I've been on google on and off most of today to try and find a solution but have had no luck. Some of the other models had an F6 option on boot up where you could install the drivers with a floppy disk but I don't have a floppy drive or the F6 boot option. Turning off RAID and installing on 1 drive of course works fine. I did read where someone did this, then downloaded the drivers, installed them in the OS then rebooted, turned on RAID and added in the second drive and this did the trick.

I tried this too but because there's no actual WHS 2011 drivers (obviously) I tried all the 64 bit options that were available but none worked.

Could anyone shed some light on this for me seeing as I am a complete novice and would very much appreciate any help.

• Registered Users Posts: 357 ✭✭Ctrl Alt Del

Try booting with SmartCD/DVD and you'll see that WHS is not listed there... :( ... small chances of installing the OS !
    Any other combination (without the RAID) makes you vulnerable to downtime for the OS partition,and possible data loss for other shared data partition.

Also,do you have any idea about the power consumption of that box !?
    I'll say around €40-50 per month on your bill !

What type of requirements you need !?
    Are for your office !?
    You may be able to get a smaller server (hardware) and get a Foundation OS,setup all network in one day and voila...peace of mind !!

• Advertisement

Thanks for the feedback. I did try the SmartStart CD but as you mentioned, it finishes at 2008. I didn't know those buggers consumed so much power, you've just given me a good shock there :)

My requirements are to have a server running in the home office located in the shed and be accessable from the house, remotely etc. Also where my accounts will be kept for my small business that integrates into my ecommerce website.

I do have surplus hardware, a few dual core pentiums, 6 or 8 hard drives but lack the knowledge when it comes to networking and servers.

When you say foundation OS, I presume you mean something like Linux ? I also lack the knowledge here but am willing to give it a shot, what would you recommend ?

Just thought there, the accounts software I have is Sage 50 Pro which I presume only runs on Windows so that might limit me.

OK, got the RAID drivers loaded in and WHS 2011 is now installing on my RAID 1. I can't believe I actually found the right info after going through Google and the HP site for hours today. There were a few things I needed to change in the BIOS, then get the Microsoft Server 2008 x64 drivers onto a usb disk and job done. WHS 2011 now installing. Click this link for instructions on how to get the install running.

• Registered Users Posts: 357 ✭✭Ctrl Alt Del

Happy day !

I've been thinking for more like Windows 2008 Foundation Server,hardware and software ! Comes with OS as a very cost effective,3 years warranty on hardware !

Whatever you chose,make sure you run your business over an asset and not on a liability ! :)

Regards

• Registered Users Posts: 1 mmixsetup

Hi all new here. Searched Google at this post came up as I do have a Dell PowerEdge 4600. I am a volunteer for a community radio station and we would like to put all our music mainly and then the studio computer access the music to broadcast it. I am trying to find a Windows SB edition to put on it. Now they have 2012 edition. Could anyone please tell me what would be best to do this? This would be the main operation. It would store accounts and some other files but they would only be accessed when we need them.

Advertisement