Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Administrative Officer - Revenue Commissioners

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33 sandy60

delricyo wrote: »
    Panel will last for 2 years. Considering the last panel ran out - I would say anybody on the panel has a decent chance of getting called. Remember that some people ahead of you on the list will be holding out for a non-Dublin position.

To the posters above, i would be very happy indeed with a mid twenties ranking. I didnt place on the panel, which is frustrating considering the amount of preparation I had done

I'm sorry to hear that. I am in the same boat prepared for it and unfortunately didnt make it.

• Registered Users Posts: 204 ✭✭nazzy

does anyone know how many were placed on panel? I was placed mid thirties I suppose its better than nothing! I wonder does anyone really know how many positions will come on stream in the next two years?

Similar to you - placed mid-30s.

I hope anyone on the panel gets offered a position! I was just happy to be on the panel - have no interest in the locations the current roles are in, but applied in case somewhere local pops up down the line. Felt I was fairly woeful in my interview so pleasantly surprised!!

I do get the impression there'll be plenty of roles created - some serious audits and verification audits being carried out, sounds like some offices under a lot of pressure!

• Registered Users Posts: 756 ✭✭✭Who_8_Paul?

nazzy wrote: »
    Similar to you - placed mid-30s.

I hope anyone on the panel gets offered a position! I was just happy to be on the panel - have no interest in the locations the current roles are in, but applied in case somewhere local pops up down the line. Felt I was fairly woeful in my interview so pleasantly surprised!!

I do get the impression there'll be plenty of roles created - some serious audits and verification audits being carried out, sounds like some offices under a lot of pressure!

I think it's hopeful for anyone on the panel, I think they placed 40+ for a reason. Revenue were given the green light by Brendan Howlins Dept to recruit 100 last year and haven't got near that yet net. Just on the types of roles, not everyone will be going into audit roles, I know of at least 2 recruited into Revenue last year from a completely different background, as am I. Fair enough if you're holding out for your home area but to state the obvious, flexibility regarding location gives you a much better chance and given the spread of Revenue offices across the country, there's no better dept to be in for future transfers etc

I think it's hopeful for anyone on the panel, I think they placed 40+ for a reason. Revenue were given the green light by Brendan Howlins Dept to recruit 100 last year and haven't got near that yet net. Just on the types of roles, not everyone will be going into audit roles, I know of at least 2 recruited into Revenue last year from a completely different background, as am I. Fair enough if you're holding out for your home area but to state the obvious, flexibility regarding location gives you a much better chance and given the spread of Revenue offices across the country, there's no better dept to be in for future transfers etc

Actually Paul, that last line is something I wouldn't have considered! - If offered a post, there'd be a tough choice to make as a short-term sacrifice could be well worth it in the long run, as you rightfully point out! Thanks for that.

• Registered Users Posts: 39 Onanon

Congratulations to everyone who got on the panel.

I didn't place, but have applied to the current AO competition. I felt I did well, given I am fresh out of college!

Will they give me my place in the ranking of all applicants and feedback on the interview if I asked for it?

• Advertisement

Onanon wrote: »
    Congratulations to everyone who got on the panel.

I didn't place, but have applied to the current AO competition. I felt I did well, given I am fresh out of college!

Will they give me my place in the ranking of all applicants and feedback on the interview if I asked for it?

They will give you an interview feedback form if you request it. I know the PAS do as a matter of courtesy if you ask. The fact is that info is FOIable anyway. Don't think you'll get a ranking compared to others though if you didn't place, that is data on you but also data on lots of other people too. Best of luck on the other AO comp, it's good to get practice in these competitions. There's an aptitude test and presentation as well as the interview for that AO comp so tough but really good experience

• Registered Users Posts: 2,540 ✭✭✭freeze4real

Hi whats the panel all about?

Is this for the recent AO or the previous one.

I received an email to do some test, I'm guessing its an aptitude test.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,683 ✭✭✭barneystinson

Hi whats the panel all about?

Is this for the recent AO or the previous one.

I received an email to do some test, I'm guessing its an aptitude test.

There's a confined HEO competition at the moment and the aptitude tests for it are imminent?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,540 ✭✭✭freeze4real

There's a confined HEO competition at the moment and the aptitude tests for it are imminent?

What's HEO?

What's HEO?

It's a civil service grade, equivalent to AO! Are you for real!? If you don't know what it is then my answer is definitely not relevant to you.

And if you are hoping to get an AO role the grade structure is something you'll need to know...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 450 ✭✭delricyo

It's a civil service grade, equivalent to AO! Are you for real!? If you don't know what it is then my answer is definitely not relevant to you.

And if you are hoping to get an AO role the grade structure is something you'll need to know...

Barney, to be fair I think he/she was referring to an email that was sent today in relation to the other AO campaign (Tax Policy, HR etc). He/she may not have heard of the confined HEO competition if based outside Revenue.

However, I do agree that one should know the grade structure very well before even applying ....

• Registered Users Posts: 375 ✭✭tbukela

Anyone hear anything on this? I heard that the first 5-6 people on the panel had received offers.
    Can anyone on the 2012 panel confirm if Cork, Limerick or Tralee were offered at any stage?

• Registered Users Posts: 791 ✭✭✭mydiscworld

tbukela wrote: »
    Anyone hear anything on this? I heard that the first 5-6 people on the panel had received offers.
    Can anyone on the 2012 panel confirm if Cork, Limerick or Tralee were offered at any stage?

I am on the 2012 panel. None of those 3 have been offered. Our panel will have first right of refusal if they do come up before Oct 2014, when our panel expires.

Read the previous posts to see what has been offered to date.

I am on the 2012 panel. None of those 3 have been offered. Our panel will have first right of refusal if they do come up before Oct 2014, when our panel expires.

Read the previous posts to see what has been offered to date.

I have read the previous posts, but as the last post which refers to the 2012 campaign was in July I was curious had any further offers been made.

I've been told that two AO's are starting in Cork next month, if not from open panel maybe redeployment.

Did you get that from HR? I've asked those in Revenue in the know and heard around that alright. I wonder if they got someone for each of the Kilkenny and Waterford posts from the first 5/6 on the panel. Like the initial competition advertisement said they expect most posts to be in Dublin but that over the next year there could be quite a few posts in Dublin with the odd one down the country. I'm just keen for them to reach the 20's on this panel so I get an offer. Apparently there's a good few waiting for the south and the west so with a very limited number of posts in either, they will be the hardest to get; surely they must take peoples experience and qualifications into account with placements too, not just next vacancy to next on the panel. It might have to be that way for non Dublin posts but I'd imagine for Dublin posts they take a block at a time and place people according to their skills and experience. As I said before, I know two people that got in last year and they were placed in non audit roles into areas that suited their skills so it can't just have been random placing all the time

Did you get that from HR?

Didn't hear it from HR but from an AP who seemed to know the story.
    I placed in the mid teens on this panel so hopeful that there might be some movement in the next couple of months.

From reading experiences from those on the 2012 panel, it can be a drawn out process.

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭littlelady81

I wonder is there many remaining on the 2012 panel?

I wonder is there many remaining on the 2012 panel?

Did I read before that at least 24 of the 40 were taken on? There are none of the 40 left that want Dublin apparently anyway so you can be sure the usual places are being held out for, ie Cork, Galway, Kerry, maybe Limerick etc

I'd say if you're interested in Dublin or a location not mentioned above you'll have a decent chance in the next 6 months or year

I have read the previous posts, but as the last post which refers to the 2012 campaign was in July I was curious had any further offers been made.

I've been told that two AO's are starting in Cork next month, if not from open panel maybe redeployment.

No further offers made to me anyway and I'm in top 10.

If there were Cork AO jobs either the top 2 took them or redeployment took them.

Redeployment gets first offer for any job before any of the AO panels as far as I'm told.

Revenue's internal transfers list would also get offers I'd imagine before looking for outsiders but that's a guess.

are you top ten on second panel?
    No further offers made to me anyway and I'm in top 10.

If there were Cork AO jobs either the top 2 took them or redeployment took them.

Redeployment gets first offer for any job before any of the AO panels as far as I'm told.

Revenue's internal transfers list would also get offers I'd imagine before looking for outsiders but that's a guess.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 374 ✭✭VONSHIRACH

on this note I was talking to a accountant with 10 years experience last week, who has his own practice and experience in running a medium size company that didnt even get an interview. He was disgusted. I wonder did anyone get an interview that wasnt just a graduate with a couple of years experience?

From that example, he just seems over qualified. A bit like myself! BSc FCCA, audit and FC history over 10 years in private sector. I spent a lot of effort on those AO application forms in June. I am well used to job apps and interviews over the years and accept that HR managers pick out the best candidates. What I find particularly annoying is the obsolete application process involved. I hand delivered an application a few years back to the porter at his desk at the relevant address. I never heard anything back from that, no rejection email. I guess that application went awol. Needless to say, this year, I paid An Post for signed delivery to confirm my app was received by HR. I was disappointed not to be called to the 2nd stage/interview. For me it was just a complete waste of time and I won't ever do it again. Emailing App forms is the only way a person should apply for these positions. The requirement to send in 4 or 5 copies of an application is just crazy, and there were 863 of these. Thats a hell of a lot of waste, over 4,000 A4 sheets and photos. The mind boggles having to deal with and ultimately shred all that!

VONSHIRACH wrote: »
    From that example, he just seems over qualified. A bit like myself! BSc FCCA, audit and FC history over 10 years in private sector. I spent a lot of effort on those AO application forms in June. I am well used to job apps and interviews over the years and accept that HR managers pick out the best candidates.

It may be irrelevant if you're serious about not going for it again, but I wouldn't say you're overqualified.

I know a good few of the AO's who've started in the last few years, and many of them are in their 30's, with substantial experience, and at least 2 out of the 3 of a decent degree, professional accountancy qualification, and ITI (some have all 3).

There's a definite knack to these competency based forms for PS job applications, and if someone with your credentials isn't progressing to interview it's more a case that you're not getting yourself across the way they are looking for...

Offered post in Dublin, so they're down to the mid-teens anyway.

are you on old or new panel?

are you on old or new panel?
    2013 panel.

Sweet, there's either loads of posts in Dublin or loads in the top 20 that don't want Dublin, I'm around 10 places lower than you so it's looking good in the medium term...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30 eddie_1498

thats great news! were you happy with the position? come on mid twenties!

I just got offered Ennis. On 2012 panel

I just got offered Ennis. On 2012 panel

Very good. Wonder if the post is in the Property Tax section which operates from there.
    Hopefully some more posts will becone available.

I wonder how far down the 2013 panel they offered the Dublin posts.

• Advertisement

It may be irrelevant if you're serious about not going for it again, but I wouldn't say you're overqualified. QUOTE]

I would be inclined to agree with this - I have similar experience to that poster and in excess of 10 years as well, primarily in taxes and BBS FCCA and all that malarky - I got placed in mid-30s, which I was delighted with since I felt my interview was poor enough.

Delighted to hear a few posts have been offered thusfar, very positive for the rest of the panel.

Advertisement