Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Administrative Officer - Revenue Commissioners

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,750 ✭✭✭LillySV

VONSHIRACH wrote: »
    From that example, he just seems over qualified. A bit like myself! BSc FCCA, audit and FC history over 10 years in private sector. I spent a lot of effort on those AO application forms in June. I am well used to job apps and interviews over the years and accept that HR managers pick out the best candidates. What I find particularly annoying is the obsolete application process involved. I hand delivered an application a few years back to the porter at his desk at the relevant address. I never heard anything back from that, no rejection email. I guess that application went awol. Needless to say, this year, I paid An Post for signed delivery to confirm my app was received by HR. I was disappointed not to be called to the 2nd stage/interview. For me it was just a complete waste of time and I won't ever do it again. Emailing App forms is the only way a person should apply for these positions. The requirement to send in 4 or 5 copies of an application is just crazy, and there were 863 of these. Thats a hell of a lot of waste, over 4,000 A4 sheets and photos. The mind boggles having to deal with and ultimately shred all that!

Agree it's a joke to be asked to send 5 hard copies of an application form-a tad backward to say the least!
    Asking for passport photos was a bit much too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Chocolate Midget

I was placed in the teens and have been offered a position in Dublin. Currently working in a solicitors' practice and facing a significant pay chop if I accept... Very unsure what to do. The fact that incremental pay increases are now phased to 15 months under Haddington, plus the pension contribution plus the pension levy oh and the revised increased working week under Haddington also... It all makes for a meagre take home pay and a very difficult decision!! The benefits are immense too of course - increased holidays, flexi-time, permanent position and guaranteed pension. What to do :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,374 ✭✭✭InReality

I was placed in the teens and have been offered a position in Dublin. Currently working in a solicitors' practice and facing a significant pay chop if I accept... Very unsure what to do. The fact that incremental pay increases are now phased to 15 months under Haddington, plus the pension contribution plus the pension levy oh and the revised increased working week under Haddington also... It all makes for a meagre take home pay and a very difficult decision!! The benefits are immense too of course - increased holidays, flexi-time, permanent position and guaranteed pension. What to do :confused:

I'd take it :) .
    Given that it is so difficult to get in I'd take it and try it out. If you don't like it you can always quit.

FWIW I'm in the civil service a few years now.

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭littlelady81

is there any website or information available on what positions have been offered?

• Registered Users Posts: 11 Poly Polo

Hi,

I have been offered a post in Ennis, which is suitable. Currently working in Practice and would be a pay drop. Just wondering how significant are the deductions from the advertised salary and what is the revised working week. Also what is it be like to work for revenue what would work be like.
    So hard to decide what to do ???

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 8,167 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jonathan

Poly Polo wrote: »
    Just wondering how significant are the deductions from the advertised salary and what is the revised working week.
    Select Public A1 on this site to get a good estimate.

• Registered Users Posts: 756 ✭✭✭Who_8_Paul?

Hi,

I have been offered a post in Ennis, which is suitable. Currently working in Practice and would be a pay drop. Just wondering how significant are the deductions from the advertised salary and what is the revised working week. Also what is it be like to work for revenue what would work be like.
    So hard to decide what to do ???

Congrats on the offer. The deductions are considerable - there is a crazy amount taken off for pension these days, the normal pension contribution, spouses and children's contribution (even if you're single) and now the pension related deduction in addition. So when the private sector go on about public sector pensions, they should know we really do pay for them these days. Basically a salary of x in the public sector is a lot less take home than salary x in the private sector. However regarding the new working hours, I wouldn't let that deter you at all, it's only a couple of extra hours a week which most of us were doing anyway, just means less flexi time built up really and regarding Revenue as a place to work, I think it's a great opportunity given the variety of units and type of work available (although in fairness this probably applies to Dublin more than elsewhere) and the geographic spread; a lot more progressive than some other areas of the public sector too from my knowledge. I guess outside of Dublin the new AO's are likely to be mostly in Audit roles but if this is your thing, it's a great opportunity

Hi,

I got offered Ennis too. Did you take it? I haven't decided yet! what is your backround I an CPA qualified with 8PQE

Thanks, guess its the salary thing more than anything else that worrying me! Its more short term hardship for future possibilities and there are pay increments!!

In small practise at moment and probable too good opportunity to pass up, just tough decision to make

Hi,

I got offered Ennis too. Did you take it? I haven't decided yet! what is your backround I an CPA qualified with 8PQE

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 375 ✭✭tbukela

Hi,

If you don't mind me asking are you on the 2012 panel or the new 2013 panel?
    Pension deductions are slightly more than most companies except for the additional pension related deduction which is saucy.
    With a half hour lunch you'd be working 8 hour day minimum

I was on the 2012 panal. Did you get offered any positions

• Registered Users Posts: 8 Get off my soapbox

Offered Dublin - mid teens 2013 panel :D

Ok they're down to the twenties now for Dublin; the panel is moving like the clappers!

• Registered Users Posts: 791 ✭✭✭mydiscworld

Ok they're down to the twenties now for Dublin; the panel is moving like the clappers!

If you don't mind, where in the 20s? Low, middle or high?

If you don't mind, where in the 20s? Low, middle or high?

Mid twenties, looks like there's quite a few posts in Dublin - obviously

Mid twenties, looks like there's quite a few posts in Dublin - obviously

Looks increasingly like what happened with the 2012 AO audit panel. Not many placing high want Dublin!

Of course, they are not helping matters by refusing to tell you where in Dublin you would be based before you accept an offer!

Looks increasingly like what happened with the 2012 AO audit panel. Not many placing high want Dublin!

Of course, they are not helping matters by refusing to tell you where in Dublin you would be based before you accept an offer!

As far as I know most of the Dublin Revenue offices are in the city centre with the exception of Ashtown Gate, Promenade Road, Tallaght and Blackrock. The only one out for me is Tallaght; too far away.

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭littlelady81

I wonder if there will be a bid rush on early retirements now that the top slicing relief is abolished?? Might help free up some positions!!

I wonder if there will be a bid rush on early retirements now that the top slicing relief is abolished?? Might help free up some positions!!

Hardly. That is a lump sum retirement relief

http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/employment/retirement/income_tax_in_retirement/retirement_lump_sum_taxation.html

Since public sector lump sums are tax free (for amounts under 200K or so)

An AO would finish high 50s. So lump sum in 80s. So not applicable. Even POs would not be effected.

Revenue will likely have a fair few retire in 2014 though before Aug 31st 2014 Haddington Road deadline

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,054 ✭✭✭Zipppy

New AO ICT competition launched today (in education this time)

• Registered Users Posts: 375 ✭✭tbukela

Offered Kilkenny today. Told 20 contracts issued last week. I'd love to know how many left on 2012 panel. 2013 panel tipping along nicely.

• Registered Users Posts: 33 sandy60

tbukela wrote: »
    Offered Kilkenny today. Told 20 contracts issued last week. I'd love to know how many left on 2012 panel. 2013 panel tipping along nicely.[/QUOte

is this the 2013 panel? apologies if you have said this previously, i just cant seem to see it

• Registered Users Posts: 5 publicboy

Are the majority of the AO jobs Dublin based, is there room to relocate to regional areas after you have been employed?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

publicboy wrote: »
    Are the majority of the AO jobs Dublin based, is there room to relocate to regional areas after you have been employed?

I can't remember for sure so you'd want to check what they've written themselves but I think some civil service positions require you to make a commitment to work 2 years in one location before moving

• Registered Users Posts: 4,683 ✭✭✭barneystinson

Slydice wrote: »
    I can't remember for sure so you'd want to check what they've written themselves but I think some civil service positions require you to make a commitment to work 2 years in one location before moving

Correct, you'll have to do 2 years where you're assigned before being eligible for a transfer. You'll then be on a list with everyone else at the same grade who wants a transfer to your chosen location(s), on a FIFO basis.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 iballpaul

Hi

I was just wondering would anyone know is the New Entrant Payscale to Civil Service done away with or would you still have to join at the lower rate? What is the actual max salary for an AO?

iballpaul wrote: »
    Hi

I was just wondering would anyone know is the New Entrant Payscale to Civil Service done away with or would you still have to join at the lower rate? What is the actual max salary for an AO?

The new entrant pay scale remains. Talk of it being removed for teachers only.

If already a serving public servant pre 2011 your salary is 10% more than if you join from 2011 onwards.

A quick google will find you the scales

Pre 2011 AO Standard Scale (Full PRSI)
    33,247 - 36,194 - 39,967 - 42,838 - 45,711 - 48,593 - 51,466 - 54,329 - 56,3141 - 58,2942
    http://www.impact.ie/Your-Sector/Public-Sector/Civil-Service/Civil-service-salary-scales/Current-Civil-Service-salary-scales-2010/General-service-grades--Full-PRSI-.htm

2011 onwards
    29,922 - 32,575 - 35,970 - 38,554 - 41,140 - 43,734 - 46,319 - 48,896 - 50,6831 - 52,4652
    http://www.impact.ie/Your-Sector/Public-Sector/Civil-Service/Civil-service-salary-scales/New-scales-for-new-entrants-2011-Civil-Service.htm

• Registered Users Posts: 26 MrsMoon

So I wonder do you have to a serving AO pre 2011 or just a civil servant to get that scale. I'm a civil servant since 2008 but if I got my promotion through the open competition which scale would I join.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,157 ✭✭✭srsly78

In Germany the auditors get a commission on money they recover. What do our Irish taxpeople think of this? One half of my brain commends such teutonic efficiency, the other half is terrified!

Advertisement