Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Administrative Officer - Revenue Commissioners

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 535 ✭✭✭elusiveguy

Is it still possible to apply for these? If so, how?

• Registered Users Posts: 8 iballpaul

Thanks MYDISCWORLD

The new entrant pay scale remains. Talk of it being removed for teachers only.

If already a serving public servant pre 2011 your salary is 10% more than if you join from 2011 onwards.

A quick google will find you the scales

Pre 2011 AO Standard Scale (Full PRSI)
    33,247 - 36,194 - 39,967 - 42,838 - 45,711 - 48,593 - 51,466 - 54,329 - 56,3141 - 58,2942
    http://www.impact.ie/Your-Sector/Public-Sector/Civil-Service/Civil-service-salary-scales/Current-Civil-Service-salary-scales-2010/General-service-grades--Full-PRSI-.htm

2011 onwards
    29,922 - 32,575 - 35,970 - 38,554 - 41,140 - 43,734 - 46,319 - 48,896 - 50,6831 - 52,4652
    http://www.impact.ie/Your-Sector/Public-Sector/Civil-Service/Civil-service-salary-scales/New-scales-for-new-entrants-2011-Civil-Service.htm

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭Irish.sherpa

MrsMoon wrote: »
    So I wonder do you have to a serving AO pre 2011 or just a civil servant to get that scale. I'm a civil servant since 2008 but if I got my promotion through the open competition which scale would I join.

I'm in a similar situation and I'm afraid that the official position is that post 2011 salary scale will apply.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,079 ✭✭✭relax carry on

srsly78 wrote: »
    In Germany the auditors get a commission on money they recover. What do our Irish taxpeople think of this? One half of my brain commends such teutonic efficiency, the other half is terrified!

Interesting. I get paid the same whatever the outcome of the Audit. However I think adding cash incentives for audits would result in the skewing of the focus of the audit. It would be nice though to live in the world of bonuses again.

• Registered Users Posts: 26 MrsMoon

raffles wrote: »
    I'm in a similar situation and I'm afraid that the official position is that post 2011 salary scale will apply.

Oh well not much can be done about it. I thought that would be how it would work. Do you know about holidays? Do you start at 25 or does time served count towards that?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8 iballpaul

• Registered Users Posts: 4,683 ✭✭✭barneystinson

srsly78 wrote: »
    In Germany the auditors get a commission on money they recover. What do our Irish taxpeople think of this? One half of my brain commends such teutonic efficiency, the other half is terrified!

I think it would create a huge and unnecessary moral hazard.

It would also negatively impact on cooperation between staff, as everyone would become focussed only on their own cases, rather than helping their colleagues out.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,765 ✭✭✭Aglomerado

iballpaul wrote: »

In 2103 according to that article! Only 90 years to wait!!! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 375 ✭✭tbukela

raffles wrote: »

Why do you say this? I'm also serving civil servant and have been told by both HR and Union that this is not the case.

tbukela wrote: »
    Why do you say this? I'm also serving civil servant and have been told by both HR and Union that this is not the case.

As far as I know, that's hasn't been the case in the past. Refer to http://per.gov.ie/wp-content/uploads/guidancereduction10percent.pdf

Maybe situation has changed ... e.g. the guidance note was withdrawn or modified.

Anyways, in the context that the Pre- and pot 2011 scales are going to be merged it's not that relevant.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 791 ✭✭✭mydiscworld

For anyone interested, the Commission for Public Appointments performed a random audit of the 2012 AO process

Report here
    http://www.cpsa.ie/en/publications/audits-of-recruitment-and-selection-activity/administrative-officer-revenue/

• Registered Users Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭ezra_pound

MrsMoon wrote: »
    So I wonder do you have to a serving AO pre 2011 or just a civil servant to get that scale. I'm a civil servant since 2008 but if I got my promotion through the open competition which scale would I join.

If you're still serving at time of appointment you'll get the old rate!

• Registered Users Posts: 3 nose60

Hi folks,
    Just wondering if any movement on the 2013 panel in the last week ?? Any one know what number they up to.

bryan1982 wrote: »
    I note you are a serving civil servant. I am wondering did you have previous accounting/audit experience prior to application or was your application successful based on academic qualifications? I am an internal candidate and therefore have relevant Revenue experience and have academic qualifications. I was successfully placed on the 2012 panel and have turned down positions due to unfavorable locations. I just came across this post which seems to show the majority of other successful candidates have significant audit/accounting experience.

I can't help you on that. I never applied for AO in Revenue competition.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30 eddie_1498

i was offered 2 weeks ago and im upper 20's...still no idea of where im going to be place though!

thank u

• Registered Users Posts: 204 ✭✭nazzy

I was offered wexford on Friday or Dublin. was in the 30s on 2013 panel...

offered the same recently

• Registered Users Posts: 11 Poly Polo

Hi guys,

What ye decide to do

• Registered Users Posts: 204 ✭✭nazzy

Poly Polo wrote: »
    Hi guys,

What ye decide to do

Wexford and Dublin was a bit too far for me so I passed on them!

• Advertisement

I took Cork a few weeks ago off the 2012 panel

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Kdoughnut

Hi chocolate midget. Can I ask if you took the AO job. I too am a private practice solicitor with a number of years experience now undertaking AItI and diploma in estate planning and taxation.

A recent advertisement for position of AO compliance positions has been made and I wonder if you could shed any light of the compliance role, interviews involved and what might help to include to tick the key competencies.

Thanks

Kevin

• Registered Users Posts: 450 ✭✭delricyo

Kdoughnut wrote: »
    Hi chocolate midget. Can I ask if you took the AO job. I too am a private practice solicitor with a number of years experience now undertaking AItI and diploma in estate planning and taxation.

A recent advertisement for position of AO compliance positions has been made and I wonder if you could shed any light of the compliance role, interviews involved and what might help to include to tick the key competencies.

Thanks

Kevin

Kevin,
    The key for the form is to do exactly what they ask for on the form. There is no big secret to the form. Stick to the problem, what you did & the outcomes that arose. If you start to waffle on the form, you will not get through. Probably suggest setting your actions out in bullet points - makes it easier to read.
    The interview will be competency based if you get to that stage.
    Given your list of qualifications, you may be eligible for the AP one advertised ? The reason I ask is that I know people with similar qalifications who go for the AP. (These people would have been serving HEO/AO staff)

delricyo wrote: »
    Given your list of qualifications, you may be eligible for the AP one advertised ? The reason I ask is that I know people with similar qalifications who go for the AP. (These people would have been serving HEO/AO staff)

It's not the qualifications of those people (the serving officers) other than the fact that they possess them, but rather their ability to demonstrate the competencies within Revenue.

If you look at the external people hired on the last couple of open AP panels you'll see they're mostly people with strong tax / accounting backgrounds, with large professional services firms (Big 4 or top 10/20) on their CV. This is clear from the person spec, which says:
    "The person required for this Assistant Principal post in Audit and Compliance has a leadership role in managing for results and delivering to high standards. They must also have:
     Significant management experience in a major organisation"

A solicitor with a few years PQE working in a run of the mill legal practice, who hasn't yet completed AITI, is fairly unlikely to be in a position to stand out in the open AP competition.

They might also have a job to explain why exactly they want to be an AO - I'd suggest the only answer to that is, "because I believe I would be capable of advancing to be an AP within a short amount of time".

• Registered Users Posts: 2,054 ✭✭✭Zipppy

Regarding the new AO ICT jobs advertised...

Anyone know if they are specifically seeking young graduates or could a existing public servant with qualifications and with lots of years experience in ICT be acceptable?

Zipppy wrote: »
    Regarding the new AO ICT jobs advertised...

Anyone know if they are specifically seeking young graduates or could a existing public servant with qualifications and with lots of years experience in ICT be acceptable?

I cannot say for sure but very few Revenue staff got the AO/AP jobs in the previous competitions.

For instance, in the first tranche taken off the 2012 AO panels, 18 for Audit and 6 for ICT, none of the 24 were already working for Revenue!

• Registered Users Posts: 8 Get off my soapbox

Anyone from the 12 or the 13 panel get any offers lately. Seems to have gone very quite and now they are holding another open AO comp 😳 still mustn't be able to get people for Dublin

• Closed Accounts Posts: 817 ✭✭✭Ann Landers

I'm studying for a very related postgrad at the moment, but I'll earn the qualification this summer, so obviously didn't have the qualification before the end of Dec 2013. I'm guessing it'd be better to wait until next year (if there even is a recruitment drive then!) Is there any leeway, I wonder? I have a level 8 degree but in a science discipline. The postgrad I'm doing is level 9 but directly related to the post.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,054 ✭✭✭Zipppy

I'm studying for a very related postgrad at the moment, but I'll earn the qualification this summer, so obviously didn't have the qualification before the end of Dec 2013. I'm guessing it'd be better to wait until next year (if there even is a recruitment drive then!) Is there any leeway, I wonder? I have a level 8 degree but in a science discipline. The postgrad I'm doing is level 9 but directly related to the post.

No harm in sticking in an Application now anyway?

Worst that they can do is say No !

• Advertisement

Are you in for the Audit/Compliance or the ICT?

I can only speak about the audit roles, and without wanting to rain on your parade, having met lots of them, the profile of the people coming in on the last few AO Audit/Compliance panels is typically the following:

1. Business / law / finance / accounting degree along with one or more of the following professional qualifications - accountant, tax consultant, solicitor, and several years experience in a relevant role in practice or industry.

OR

2. A serving eligible civil servant with some of the above qualifications and relevant experience (generally people already working as Revenue auditors at EO grade, or accountants serving in the C&AG's coming across due to better prospects in Revenue).

While the roles are advertised as graduate roles, given the state of the country in the last 6/7 years these jobs are very much sought after now and the calibre of the candidates is going up every time. The youngest person I know who came in as an AO in recent years was 26 at time of joining, and a qualified accountant with a couple of years experience in practice as well as some 3rd level lecturing... most are in the 28 - 38 age bracket with substantial relevant work experience to demonstrate. A college graduate of 22/23 is going to be very hard pushed to compete with that.

Advertisement