Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Administrative Officer - Revenue Commissioners

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Rangs

Thanks Barneystinson!
    It's all a bit unknown... Do you have any idea of when they want people to start?

• Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭gingerhousewife

I am a qualified accountant and also did a diploma in forensic accounting last year which I would have though would be of some value to Revenue

I hear you Ellis1 , i too am a qualified accountant with many years experience and i have a specific audit qualification.....Would love to know the criteria also!!!

I'm disappointed with the whole thing really...will we get feedback i wonder??

As regards Josephine Feehily's post to the Revenue Commissioners....she got this post in March 2008 at 51 years of age.....recession has hit since....... and if i was to guess they probably see women in state jobs costing too much when they get full pay whilst out in maternity leave/ so where it might not be in writing i'm sure it would be advised to hire men first!!! JUST MY OPINION!!![/Quote]

I am AITI qualified, with several years experience. Currently working in a top 10 practice (don't be misled by the username!).

I didn't feel qualified/experienced enough to apply for AP, but I suspect we may be overqualified/experienced for AO. Maybe they want people at an earlier stage of their careers. Maybe not, who knows what the shortlisting is based on.

Anyway, best of luck to all those who made it to interviews, back to the drawing board for me!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,683 ✭✭✭barneystinson

Rangs wrote: »
    Thanks Barneystinson!
    It's all a bit unknown... Do you have any idea of when they want people to start?

They'll be calling people throughout the 2-year life of the panel, it all depends on how high you place on the panel, how many more AP's retire in the next 18-24months and how many replacements are sanctioned!

As regards Josephine Feehily's post to the Revenue Commissioners....she got this post in March 2008 at 51 years of age.....recession has hit since....... and if i was to guess they probably see women in state jobs costing too much when they get full pay whilst out in maternity leave/ so where it might not be in writing i'm sure it would be advised to hire men first!!! JUST MY OPINION!!!

Sigh... You don't appear to have understood what I said - Josephine Feehily headed up a group which devised a Civil Service Gender Equality Policy (http://www.finance.gov.ie/viewdoc.asp?DocID=1259&CatID=1&StartDate=01+January+2001): "Ms Feehily said that "The research showed that the lack of women at the Assistant Principal grade was a particular obstacle to women’s advancement. This is a key grade for the Civil Service. You need a large enough pool of women in the AP grade to ensure that progress is made. And, of course, to get women into that grade, Departments have to start planning for all grades throughout the organisation.""

The logical conclusion of this is positive discrimination in order to reach a gender balance at managerial grades, and while it hasn't been explicitly acknowledged, one need only look at the appointments/promotions at Ao/Heo/AP and above in the past 5 years - for example, of the AO's hired at the same time as I was, I know of 3 other men and 7 or 8 women, all of childbearing age.

You're fully entitled to your opinion, but I know from personal experience that the facts don't support it. I'd suggest that if you genuinely want to know why you weren't called for interview, the reasons are in your form - you simply didn't convey a strong enough impression of the required competencies. Did you type or handwrite the form for example?

• Registered Users Posts: 7 IFSC101

When I read some peoples experence above I am not surprised I didn’t get called. I am just finishing up my contract in a big 4 firm and I am only recently AITI and ICAI qualified. The environment in Ireland is difficult, I have been closeted in my training contract. Any way I think I hear London calling.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,054 ✭✭✭Zipppy

Wed eve and still no word......

Have people heard from AO (ICT) ??

• Registered Users Posts: 450 ✭✭delricyo

Zipppy wrote: »
    Wed eve and still no word......

Have people heard from AO (ICT) ??

I got the pfo yesterday afternoon for the ICT role. You will hear soon enough

delricyo wrote: »
    I got the pfo yesterday afternoon for the ICT role. You will hear soon enough
    sorry to hear that dude

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 179 ✭✭Gary The Gamer

I didn't really have any hard financial quals. for the AP job so not too surprised about the PFO. I wish a few more internal AP jobs would pop up. The wages are pretty crap as well looking into the long term when they are only going to go down.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Bluflu

Hi all, I have been following this thread and the comments are all interesting and useful. I got through to interview stage for AP.
    I currently work in industry and not familiar with the public sector protocols for interviews etc...

Would appreciate any tips to prepare for interview

Can anyone give me an insight to an AP's day in audit and compliance?

Are there benefits for accepting a position in the revenue given the goverments cutting of pension and possibily the increments and the fact the position advertised were fixed contracts...
    Thank you !

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 179 ✭✭Gary The Gamer

That is the risk. Increments being deferred and pay cuts coming down the line. Revenue is a safe enough line of work. Just be aware that the you will be getting €3130 net per month. I would be fairly certain that this will fall below €3000 per month in the next year or so. When you look at the level of staff and the quality of the competition applying for this then its pretty crap pay. The workload could be quite high as well.

That is the risk. Increments being deferred and pay cuts coming down the line. Revenue is a safe enough line of work. Just be aware that the you will be getting €3130 net per month. I would be fairly certain that this will fall below €3000 per month in the next year or so. When you look at the level of staff and the quality of the competition applying for this then its pretty crap pay. The workload could be quite high as well.
    Why do you assume there will be pay cuts?

If, and it's an if, Croke Park2 brings pay cuts I reckon it will only be for those on higher salaries..perhaps >60k.....also I dont ever see increments being axed and certainly not for lower paid staff.....
    So relax .. pay may change or not...

Get the job first .. then decide ...

Finally heard ....... and the Man from Delmonte he say yes :)

Phew

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 7p892gydacnrm4

Finally heard ....... and the Man from Delmonte he say yes :)

Phew
    Congrats was it by email you were informed still waiting

• Registered Users Posts: 42 accountant101

[HTML]
    [You're fully entitled to your opinion, but I know from personal experience that the facts don't support it. I'd suggest that if you genuinely want to know why you weren't called for interview, the reasons are in your form - you simply didn't convey a strong enough impression of the required competencies. Did you type or handwrite the form for example?[/QUOTE]

[/HTML]

Oh my apologies i didn't realise you looked at my application form, to state that i didn't convey a strong enough impression of the required competencies!!!!! And obviously i typed the application form, I am a qualified accountant so i am well used to preparing appplication forms and dealing with banks, revenue etc!! so i do have some professionalism....thanks for being so patronising:eek:

Congrats was it by email you were informed still waiting
    email early this morning.......

Oh my apologies i didn't realise you looked at my application form, to state that i didn't convey a strong enough impression of the required competencies!!!!! And obviously i typed the application form, I am a qualified accountant so i am well used to preparing appplication forms and dealing with banks, revenue etc!! so i do have some professionalism....thanks for being so patronising:eek:

I didn't mean to be patronising, but it's amazing how many people make very basic mistakes in these sorts of things...

The simple point I was trying to make to you is that there absolutely isn't a conspiracy against women (and I'm very confident the panel that's formed will prove this point for me).

Which means that whether you like it or not, for some reason the information on your form didn't merit you getting an interview. When I suggested that it must be your examples for the competencies, it was because I was kinda assuming you probably hadn't managed to cock up listing the basic stuff, and you are at least as qualified I was when I did my AO application.

So in MY opinion you'd be better off trying to figure out where you fell down, rather than blaming a nonexistent sexual discrimination policy.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Cash22A

I'd be really interested in hearing an account from someone working in the AO position of what they do each day, just a run through of a day in the life I guess :)

Cash22A wrote: »
    I'd be really interested in hearing an account from someone working in the AO position of what they do each day, just a run through of a day in the life I guess :)

I'd also like to hear daily life of AO (ICT) ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 7 sunshine.99

Hi, has anyone heard anything further from manpower in respect of the AO interviews? Will there be a presentation element and if so will Revenue identify the topic? Thanks :)

• Advertisement

Hi, has anyone heard anything further from manpower in respect of the AO interviews? Will there be a presentation element and if so will Revenue identify the topic? Thanks :)

Haven't heard anything since the initial email that interviews are between 12-25th September.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 sunshine.99

No me either, was just wondering how much notice we will be given or if there will even be presentations! Wonder how many are being interviewed?

No word here either....I will mail for info today as I have a trip planned in Sept...

• Registered Users Posts: 4 info2012

Does anyone have the information booklet that was on Revenue's website with the AO application?

If so, would you mind uploading here, please? Want to get another read of it.

Thanks very much

Does anyone have the information booklet that was on Revenue's website with the AO application?

Thanks very much

info2012 wrote: »

Thanks very much

On my phone at the moment do not right now but I have it at home somewhere. I could find it & mail it to you, or can I attach here or private mail on boards.ie? New at this! :)

Cash22A wrote: »
    info2012 wrote: »

Thanks very much

On my phone at the moment do not right now but I have it at home somewhere. I could find it & mail it to you, or can I attach here or private mail on boards.ie? New at this! :)

That would be great Cash22A! If you could upload here that would be brilliant. Really appreciate it. Thanks

Anyone got official notice of interview date for AO as yet?

Anyone got official notice of interview date for AO as yet?
    :confused::confused::confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭Petrolium Hat

I used to work as an AO in ICT. (this is a few years ago now).

Asking what is the day in the life of an AO, is like asking what's the day in the life of someone working in IT in "a bank", it depends what section you are in, who you are working with etc.

Specifically to me I had been working for 4 years in one technology in the private sector and they put me working on a completely different technology . No one I worked with was properly trained or qualified in IT, but came across from the "general service". In fairness most were decent people (particularly out of work), and had been working for years in IT, but picked up awful habits along the way.

When anything was difficult it was outsourced to consultancy companies. Staff were poorly motivated and the sick rate was sky high. I know anecdotally that moral is much worse now. I did have experience of general service people thinking that you were an upstart for just being an AO (it's the ONLY position in the civil service that requires a degree).

I left because the money isn't great, I didn't see the job going anywhere, and the experience I already had was rotting away. Everyone doing nothing everyday becomes a trudge. I've since left worked in a few different companies and now actually provide consultancy services for the department I left in the area of technology they should have had me working in. (at 6 times the daily rate I was paid as an AO).

I won't mention the dept I was in but I've heard Revenue and Foreign Affairs are the best places for an AO level.

Obviously this is just one person's experience every department, section, unit is different.

Advertisement