Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Administrative Officer - Revenue Commissioners

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,433 ✭✭✭Josey Wales

Sinar wrote: »

that would sound right. I only read this last week on the circulars website.

I think there is a probationary period for internal as well and If the probation doesn't go to plan you get bumped back down to your previous grade.

I understand doing a probationary period but if I am put on the '2010 New Entrant' salary scale that is something I don't agree with. I can't seem to get a definitive answer on that one.

I also don't know if the same conditions on job security apply to new entrants.

• Registered Users Posts: 791 ✭✭✭mydiscworld

I understand doing a probationary period but if I am put on the '2010 New Entrant' salary scale that is something I don't agree with. I can't seem to get a definitive answer on that one.

I also don't know if the same conditions on job security apply to new entrants.

Under no circumstances, as an existing civil servant, would I accept being put on the new entrant scale.

Make sure your contract notes correct pay scale, which will be 10% higher than new entrants.

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭Irish.sherpa

Under no circumstances, as an existing civil servant, would I accept being put on the new entrant scale.

Make sure your contract notes correct pay scale, which will be 10% higher than new entrants.

I am afraid in most circumstances lower scale will apply.

I draw your attention to Guidance Note issued by DoF (especially Section 9.ii)
    http://per.gov.ie/wp-content/uploads/guidancereduction10percent.pdf

From my understanding of above document, in AO competition normal payscale will apply only to persons that are serving civil servant AND their current role/grade is at AO level.

raffles wrote: »
    I am afraid in most circumstances lower scale will apply.

I draw your attention to Guidance Note issued by DoF (especially Section 9.ii)
    http://per.gov.ie/wp-content/uploads/guidancereduction10percent.pdf

From my understanding of above document, in AO competition normal payscale will apply only to persons that are serving civil servant AND their current role/grade is at AO level.

Hmm, I see what you're saying. Very annoying.

AO basically goes from bottom of EO scale to top of HEO. If already an EO or HEO (or equivalent) I wonder how that would work

• Registered Users Posts: 4,433 ✭✭✭Josey Wales

I was assured by HR that I would not be on the reduced salary scale but after reading that Guidance Note it seems as though HR are mistaken. It makes me wonder if taking up the AO offer is really worth it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9 Sinar

I was assured by HR that I would not be on the reduced salary scale but after reading that Guidance Note it seems as though HR are mistaken. It makes me wonder if taking up the AO offer is really worth it.

I'm 99.9% existing civil servant will still follow Circular 34/77

the more favorable of the following:
    • The minimum point of the new scale.
    • Pay equivalent to their existing pay including any accrued increment.
    Which is what I imagine you were assured of by HR

• Registered Users Posts: 361 ✭✭litup

Itchianus wrote: »
    I heard today there's a bit of movement happening at the top of the AP panel, that a couple of positions are being filled.

Any word on how many positions/where/when etc? Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭Itchianus

litup wrote: »

Any word on how many positions/where/when etc? Thanks.

No clue really, I've just heard anecdotally, from a reliable source, of a couple of appointments in Dublin. There's no shortage of positions, they all already exist, as the headcount is substantially reduced from 5 years ago - it's a matter of managers fighting tooth and nail to get to replace lost personnel, and Revenue trying to continually get sanction from Finance and DPER.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 346 ✭✭petersburg2002

I would imagine even more positions now with the new house tax coming into Revenue's domain.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 iballpaul

Hi

Has anyone heard anything on this recently? How many positions have been filled and likelihood of any more positions becoming available in 2013?

• Advertisement

iballpaul wrote: »
    Hi

Has anyone heard anything on this recently? How many positions have been filled and likelihood of any more positions becoming available in 2013?

Rang a girl in Revenue last week for an update. She didn't know if any new spots will be coming soon. Said they usually only get short notice.

So far Revenue filled about a dozen vacancies in Dublin, Thurles, Athlones, Kilkenny, Letterkenny and Galway.

You'd imagine larger offices would require AO audit staff in 2013 but it's a waiting game.

• Registered Users Posts: 888 ✭✭✭Drummerboy2

The new Property Tax offices are in Ennis. Not sure if the jobs have been filled yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭Itchianus

Current state of play AFAIK:

No. 10 on the AP panel has been hired, but there's at least one person from the top 9 still there having turned down a location.

No. 24 on the AO (audit) panel has been hired, but I don't know how many people there are above that, there's probably a few who are holding out for Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 iballpaul

Thanks for the update itchianus and mydiscworld. I was offered a position in Dublin a few weeks before Christmas and I am placed between 25-30 on the AO Panel so it is likely that there is someone after no. 24 hired aswell. This location didn't suit and as I am currently employed I declined the offer.

There must be people higher on the panel holding out for a different location or otherwise this offer wouldn't have reached myself but I doubt if this location would be dublin or they would have accepted the position I was offered due to having a higher placing on the panel.

It is indeed a waiting game and also a bit of luck required that you get offered your location that doesn't really suit those above you on the panel.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 CaveatEmptor

Itchianus wrote: »
    Current state of play AFAIK:

No. 10 on the AP panel has been hired, but there's at least one person from the top 9 still there having turned down a location.

No. 24 on the AO (audit) panel has been hired, but I don't know how many people there are above that, there's probably a few who are holding out for Dublin.
    Anyone have any further updates on movement on AP panel?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,683 ✭✭✭barneystinson

Anyone have any further updates on movement on AP panel?

No change from that previous post yet AFAIK

Any news on the AO panel?

Any news on the AO panel?

I know they've reached 20-something on the audit panel anyway. If you're on the panel ring Personnel and ask them.

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭Sammy96

Hey, any updates to this, especially on the AP panel?? Thanks!

Sammy96 wrote: »
    Hey, any updates to this, especially on the AP panel?? Thanks!

There's not been any further appointments in the last couple of months, so the state of play is still as Itchianus said.

I'm hearing its redeployment all the way at the moment, they may only get to hire someone where they can't redeploy someone into the role... Still 18 months to run though so there'll surely be a few more hired before the panel expires...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭Sammy96

Thanks!

There's not been any further appointments in the last couple of months, so the state of play is still as Itchianus said.

I'm hearing its redeployment all the way at the moment, they may only get to hire someone where they can't redeploy someone into the role... Still 18 months to run though so there'll surely be a few more hired before the panel expires...

I've heard similar to you Barney. Any further AO Audit offers can only be made after offering it to redeployment panel first.

Of the 40 people placed on AO Audit panel, I heard 18 started around Xmas, taken from the first tranche of 6 locations offered. None were previously working in Revenue.

Surprised no further moves though. You'd think Limerick and Cork offices would need staff.

And with the audits of Property Tax returns to begin in Autumn, this demand for auditors should increase.

I've heard similar to you Barney. Any further AO Audit offers can only be made after offering it to redeployment panel first.

Of the 40 people placed on AO Audit panel, I heard 18 started around Xmas, taken from the first tranche of 6 locations offered. None were previously working in Revenue.

Surprised no further moves though. You'd think Limerick and Cork offices would need staff.

And with the audits of Property Tax returns to begin in Autumn, this demand for auditors should increase.

I've just heard today that an AP position is being filled, only one AFAIK, which doesn't surprise me as those appointments are probably having to be individually approved at very high (ministerial?) level.

As for the AO positions, if the Govt legislate to abolish increments, which is what they've told the LRC they intend to do, you'd want to be fairly stuck to be accepting a job with a salary of 30k, with a pension levy to come off it, and no immediate prospect of any increase - this for a role aimed at people with at least one professional qualification and several years experience...

In fact I wouldn't be surprised if most of the recently hired AOs are gone back out to the private sector within 3/4 years, after getting good experience in Revenue.

I received an email this afternoon from Revenue as follows:

Title: Upcoming advertisem​ent for Administra​tive Officer Audit and Compliance
    Dear xxx,

Revenue will shortly be advertising for Administrative Officers Compliance. The posts offered will primarily be based in Dublin.

Please note your place on the current panel will supercede the panel which will be established from this competition. The panel you are on is due to expire 9 October 2014.

This confirms what I had heard on the grapevine, namely that not enough of the 40 people placed on AO Audit panel wanted Dublin.

Bit of a mistake perhaps only placing 40 of 100 interviewed.

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭buttercup20

Hi, Revenue are looking for AOs in Compliance the advert has just gone up on the website this morning. Closing date is Wednesday 12 June 2013. Further information is available on www.revenue.ie.

Bit of a mistake perhaps only placing 40 of 100 interviewed.

Not necessarily, they may not have wanted to hire any of the people below 40, and would rather see what candidates the next comp would attract...

• Registered Users Posts: 11 JokersWild

Did'nt think this competition would come about for another 2yrs.

Made the interview stage last Autumn but was one of those below the 40... Working in Revenue all along but with no compliance experience and "only" a business degree. Interview went ok but not sure if it was a lack of relevant experience or lack of a really good interview performance that let me down... maybe both. Oh well, will give it another shot.:)

JokersWild wrote: »
    Did'nt think this competition would come about for another 2yrs.

Made the interview stage last Autumn but was one of those below the 40... Working in Revenue all along but with no compliance experience and "only" a business degree. Interview went ok but not sure if it was a lack of relevant experience or lack of a really good interview performance that let me down... maybe both. Oh well, will give it another shot.:)

Without relevant experience you'd have to have done the interview of your life - some of the people hired are very experienced in accountancy/audit and have qualifications coming out their arses (ie 2 new AOs working with me have each got a relevant degree, 1 is a qualified solicitor and currently halfway through the AITI, and the other is a CPA and AITI qualified with ten years experience in practice).

The reality is that they are a mile ahead of you before you ever open your mouth at interview; it's an uphill battle for internal candidates for audit/compliance AO, unless they are already experienced EO auditors.

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭littlelady81

any tips on the completion of the application form. should I include more than one example in each of the parts. im going to put as much time as I can into completing this form. would love an opportunity like this. im qualified aca and aiti with 10 years practice experience but only being paid a poor level salary with no chance of an increase as "its a recession aren't you lucky to have a job". any tips would be greatly appreciated

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27 Mavic09

Having read the piece at the start of this thread about the day to day duties of an AO in Audit. Would someone have any guidance on what the day to day duties of an AO in Compliance would involve? The information booklet provided on the AO job role is pure HR jazz...

Advertisement