Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Would You Pull a Stunt Like this?

• 08-06-2012 3:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,380 ✭✭✭

Irish father of three goes AWOL for four days... ends up at the Euros

The wife of fanatical Irish supporter John Dowling hasn’t heard from him in four days and she’s in for some surprise when she opens up the Irish Daily Star this morning.

Dowling left his home in Sandyford on Sunday and unbeknownst to what we can only imagine is his long suffering wife, he headed off to Budapest to watch the Boys in Green play Hungary and isn’t planning on coming home until Ireland’s Euro odyssey comes to an end.

It mightn’t have been so bad if John had rang the missus on Sunday night and told her he was planning to extend his stay, but he instead decided to inform her of his plans four days later… via the front page of a national newspaper.

We’ll let the man himself take up the story…

“I said goodbye to the wife Adrienne and said ‘I’m off’ – but I didn’t tell her where!” John told the Irish Daily Star.

“I’m afraid to ring her. She still doesn’t know I went to Budapest, but she’ll find out (today) in the Star. I might switch my phone off. She knew I had to go to the Euros.”

http://www.joe.ie/euro-2012/euro-2012-news/irish-father-of-three-goes-awol-for-four-days-ends-up-at-the-euros-0025572-1

I'd love it to be a hoax. Sadly, I don't think it us. F***ing off on your family for three days because you 'have to' watch a football match? Do me a favour.

If you want to watch a football match, that's normal and healthy. But not telling your wife and kids, and letting them [and the neighbours] read it in the Star the next day? Jaysus that's humiliation. There are some people in this country who just don't take any responsibility for their actions.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,753 ✭✭✭davet82

he deserves a kick in the nuts tbh

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭Organic Cavity

Fair play to him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,718 ✭✭✭SafeSurfer

Spontaneity is such fun. Damn the consequences.

Multo autem ad rem magis pertinet quallis tibi vide aris quam allis

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 2,159 Mod ✭✭✭✭Oink

Just ran away like a schoolboy who couldn't face his mammy. Classy.
    See if you can buy a pair in Budapest while you're there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,298 ✭✭✭hairyprincess

What a selfish git. :mad:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,366 ✭✭✭micropig

Is he on the dole aswell?

John also splashed out a whopping €260 on a giant Irish flag which is adorned with the line ‘I’ll be getting a plane to Dublin or Ukraine on June 21 – but Mr Visa will have to pay.’

That move subsequently backfired, however, as the flag became so wet and heavy after the Hungary game on Monday night that John’s mate Aidan Mullen had to fork out €50 in baggage fees to bring it to Poland.

• Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭Unavailable for Comment

She hadn't heard from him in four days but wasn't worried or didn't think to report him missing to the Gardai?

That's one close relationship.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,033 ✭✭✭mauzo

I think that's gas.....

FEel a bit bad for the wife worrying for 4 days, but I'd say it was a laugh when she saw the star...oh Joe, what are you like?!

He'll get hit by a bus over there, and she'll think oh its fine he's just stayed longer!! Eh check the star again...

Obituaries actually love...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,916 ✭✭✭shopaholic01

I actually find that hilarious:D. If he had told her I doubt he'd be there.

He'll be a legend in his local now ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,736 ✭✭✭Irish Guitarist

If there was a football match in my kitchen I wouldn't go to see it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,969 ✭✭✭hardCopy

YOLO Diem

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,191 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

Ah, love divorce is in the air.

Maybe all is not as it appears, but he seems like a completely self-centred git.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,605 ✭✭✭Fizman

He'll be a legend forever alone in his local now ;)

Should be.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,199 ✭✭✭Shryke

He'll be a legend in his local now ;)

He'll be divorced if the wife has any sense. The shame of having such a man child for a husband, and to embarrass her on a national level.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

I just hope he has the financial means to fund this escapade.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,366 ✭✭✭micropig

At least he's not claiming he ran the whole way there;)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,406 ✭✭✭Pompey Magnus

Can we please make this guy the human face of the Celtic Tiger?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,470 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

This guy is a massive cock if you ask me... He left not just his wife but also his 3 kids. And he says in it "She knew I had to go to the Euros". Eh, no - you didn't have to go to the Euros, you wanted to. Big difference between wants and haves.

Divorce him, empty the joint account on him, cancel his cards on him, make him suffer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,012 ✭✭✭Plazaman

She says in todays Star
    I had no idea he'd planned to stay so long. He'd better send me money for the house.

I'd say she's no choice in the matter, he sounds like one of those control freaks that keeps the missus in doors whilst he's out spending all the money and throws her a few bob for groceries.

She also says that his Daughters 21st is on June 21st so if he intends to stay for the Finals on 1st July, he doesn't seem to bothered by that either.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,766 ✭✭✭juan.kerr

She's well shot of him. Complete waster. any details on how he's funding this?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,037 ✭✭✭Nothingbetter2d

dulpit wrote: »

empty the joint account on him her,

looks like he may have beaten her to it.... going to the euros aint cheap

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,191 ✭✭✭✭Latchy

Selfish man who could so easy have used the finance to take his family away on holiday .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 502 ✭✭✭Lollers

Perhaps these guys said it better with this flag.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

juan.kerr wrote: »
    She's well shot of him. Complete waster. any details on how he's funding this?

He made reference to 'Mr Visa' paying for his flights so I presume as well as frightening the hell out of his wife he's racking up massive credit card debt.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭The Cool

I would guess from the fact that he's snuck off like this, that she had possibly told him already that it wasn't feasible, for whatever reason - perhaps because of paying for stuff for the daughter's 21st, or you know, being present for it as a decent dad should be - it's clearly a "f--- you, wifey" move on his part. If my fella did that to me - not a mention of maybe putting that money into a holiday or something for the whole family but going spending ridiculous money on a boyish piss up for a couple of weeks instead - I would absolutely kill him! Absolutely no respect for his poor wife. Disgraceful.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 902 ✭✭✭scholar007

What does this guy do for a living that he can swan off to Poland indefinitely?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,191 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

Lollers wrote: »
    If he was holding an Irish flag like these guys, who are off to the Euros too. He would have my undying respect.

The thing is, he's not just giving Merkel the fingers, he's giving it to his wife and family, too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭sbsquarepants

Lollers wrote: »
    If he was holding an Irish flag like these guys, who are off to the Euros too. He would have my undying respect.

I love that flag!!
    scholar007 wrote: »
    What does this guy do for a living that he can swan off to Poland indefinitely?

There's no swans in poland!!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,406 ✭✭✭Pompey Magnus

I love this bit:
    There’s no doubt that John is living the dream of many an Irishman and that there are hundreds of husbands across the country that wish they could have had the balls to do something similar.

He didn't even have the balls to stand up to his wife and tell her that he was going, he had to sneak off before she stopped him.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 502 ✭✭✭Lollers

Pherekydes wrote: »
    The thing is, he's not just giving Merkel the fingers, he's giving it to his wife and family, too.

Oh no doubt about it, the guys a spanner, I just though the flag in the pic I posted would give people a smile.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭MaxSteele

Divorce him ? Jeeezz. I think it's gas. With 3 kids, and a wife to feed, enough money for a month at the euros and a 260 euro flag ? this Dowling fella obviously works hard. Let him to it I say. Ireland rarely make it into these tournaments anymore. A few weeks away for him is harmless.

No one in our house complained when my aul fella headed to Australia for a month to got to his friends wedding.

Divorce him ? ... shut up feminists.

Irresponsible to let her worry ? .. yes.

Shhneaky shhnake of a legend ?? ... most defintely yes.:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,138 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

I love this bit:

He didn't even have the balls to stand up to his wife and tell her that he was going, he had to sneak off before she stopped him.

He won't have his balls for long when he gets home, his missus will be using them for ear-rings.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,753 ✭✭✭davet82

ejmaztec wrote: »
    He won't have his balls for long when he gets home, his missus will be using them for ear-rings.

He's married to Pat Butcher? :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,470 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

MaxSteele wrote: »
    Divorce him ? Jeeezz. I think it's gas. With 3 kids, and a wife to feed, enough money for a month at the euros and a 260 euro flag ? this Dowling fella obviously works hard. Let him to it I say. Ireland rarely make it into these tournaments anymore. A few weeks away for him is harmless.

Didn't he mention it's all going onto the Visa? He might be broke for all we know...
    No one in our house complained when my aul fella headed to Australia for a month to got to his friends wedding.
    I assume you were told prior to him leaving that he went, not 4 days afterwards?
    Divorce him ? ... shut up feminists.
    :rolleyes:
    Irresponsible to let her worry ? .. yes.
    Irresponsible is putting it lightly...
    Shhneaky shhnake of a legend Dick who makes men look bad?? ... most defintely yes.:D

FYP

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭The Cool

As a friend of mine put it very well - it'll take him more balls to come home than it did to leave!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,766 ✭✭✭juan.kerr

davet82 wrote: »
    He's married to Pat Butcher? :rolleyes:

Well if he is then all is forgiven...only problem is he didn't go far enough.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,191 ✭✭✭✭Latchy

There’s no doubt that John is living the dream of many an Irishman and that there are hundreds of husbands across the country that wish they could have had the balls to do something similar.

^ Very patronising comment towards men who wouldn't dream of pulling such a stunt and who think more of their wifes and children .John will be having a nightmare when his dream comes to an end .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,270 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

ejmaztec wrote: »
    He certainly won't be needing them for a few months anyway...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭MaxSteele

Didn't he mention it's all going onto the Visa? He might be broke for all we know...

Yeah .... but broke ?? with 3 kids and a 21st paid for ?? I seriously doubt he'd take that risk in all fairness.

I assume you were told prior to him leaving that he went, not 4 days afterwards?

Yeah we were ... but .. I did state that he was irresponsible for that.

:rolleyes:

:D .. but divorce over sneaking off to the euros ?? C'mon, she doesn't love him anymore now ?? Irrational IMO.

Irresponsible is putting it lightly...

Whatever you say .....

FYP

Again with the feminism :cool: .... As long as the family is looked after I dont see the problem.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,228 ✭✭✭Acidflash

Does the guy on the left look like a fat John O'Shea?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 457 ✭✭Scarlet42

what his wife needs to do is get herself and the three kids flights to poland and meet up with him ... he'd love that!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,380 ✭✭✭geeky

This is a picture of 'John Dowling from Sandyford' in the Indo on the left. He actually looks 49 too.

https://us.v-cdn.net/6034073/uploads/attachments/182039/208177.jpg

TBH, it might be different if it was just him and the wife. But she's had to explain to the kids that she doesn't know where their dad is. And unless she was being tongue in cheek, she's been left wondering how she'll put food on the table because he figured he "had to" go to the Euros on "Mr Visa's" dime.

I hope Mr Visa gets cancelled. If he says anything, she might explain that she "had to" feed their three kids and, at 49 years old, it's time to grow the f*** up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,061 ✭✭✭PickledLime

What an utter, utter twut. Can't really call him an 'Irishman' when he clearly has no spine.

This is more akin to a stunt a teenager would pull.

• Registered Users Posts: 653 ✭✭✭girl in the striped socks

If I was his wife I'd cancel all his cards, laser & visa.
    See how the kunt enjoys the euros then.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,899 ✭✭✭✭BBDBB

If there was a football match in my kitchen I wouldn't go to see it.

well could you at least make me a sandwich while you were in there then?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

My husband wouldn't come back if he done something like that, he'd know not to bother. Eejit.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 449 ✭✭Pantsface

I read today that his wife knew exactly where he was & she even packed his case. She said he was a messer & was saying it for the craic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,080 ✭✭✭foxinsox

lol ..

Do none of you remember the missing men during Italia 90?

Actually you probably weren't born yet! :-/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,110 ✭✭✭amacca

Pantsface wrote: »
    I read today that his wife knew exactly where he was & she even packed his case. She said he was a messer & was saying it for the craic.

that has ring of truth to it

lol @ all theover-reacting irate posters calling him a manchild/saying they would divorce him etc....hes probably well on the way to an all expenses paid trip to the euros + as much free drink as all the other manchildren will throw at him + a nice fat fee from newspaper for updates etc

• Registered Users Posts: 764 ✭✭✭Rega

Pantsface wrote: »

Yeah it's complete bull****. Was in the Herald yesterday.

• Advertisement
Advertisement