Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

IADT Applied Psychology questions?

Options
  • 08-06-2012 3:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭

Hi everyone,

I have decided I might do a degree in Psychology in the future and I have a few questions about this course. How many places are there in applied psychology in IADT? . Secondly, I know that mature students do not have to satisfy the entry requirements, but does anyone if if they do or do not have to satisfy the course requirementsmaths as a course requirement?
    Is maths required for entry to this course?

Thank you .

:)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Sportsguy1991

If you really wish to pursue psychology as a career and don't have sufficient cao points for the credible institutions supplying the service, then go through the back door to one of them.

I know UCD and some others don't offer this path but a lot do. Galway, Maynooth and more give you the opportunity to put in a year of work and get where you want to be. If you really want to go down the psychology road, the one year of work in arts to qualify for the limited backdoor spots is the way to go. If you really want it, you'll get it. Simple.

If you do choose IADT/Waterford, you are wasting your college grant, and will have to pay 7000-9000 for repeating first year in a proper college to do what you could be doing come September.

Don't waste such a chunk of money and a year of your life, take the back door somewhere and work really hard or what you are passionate about.

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭DublinRescuer

Hi there

Im trying to find a certain answer involving this course. Im looking to progress in clinical psychology and am wondering whether this course will provide this path?? is there much difference between this course and the many others??

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 780 ✭✭✭cheesefiend

If you really wish to pursue psychology as a career and don't have sufficient cao points for the credible institutions supplying the service, then go through the back door to one of them.

I know UCD and some others don't offer this path but a lot do. Galway, Maynooth and more give you the opportunity to put in a year of work and get where you want to be. If you really want to go down the psychology road, the one year of work in arts to qualify for the limited backdoor spots is the way to go. If you really want it, you'll get it. Simple.

If you do choose IADT/Waterford, you are wasting your college grant, and will have to pay 7000-9000 for repeating first year in a proper college to do what you could be doing come September.

Don't waste such a chunk of money and a year of your life, take the back door somewhere and work really hard or what you are passionate about.

Are you for real?

IADT is not a credible institute?

I think you'll find that a student coming out with a BSC in Applied Psychology from IADT is far more employable right off the bat than those in UCD, Galway or Maynooth. Here's a few reasons why:

1. We have a path which students can choose which will have them taking modules related to IT. This gives them a great foundation in UX design, making them very employable in the IT industry.

2. Even if you don't take the IT path and stick with a more traditional, practice pathway then in third year you still have to do an IT module which involves designing some kind of app/ website/ any kind of technological medium to help those facing some kind of challenge in everyday life. This involves researching different kinds of disabilities, creating user profiles, researching product development and actually making product prototypes. Again, brilliant experience for anyone who wants to go on to do a masters.

3. IADT has great connections in the business world. Before the second semester finishes every year a showcase is held for third and fourth years to present their projects to people in all different kinds of industries. Every year students are hired from these showcases.

Even if you're not interested in IT, you have to understand that it touches on every single sub-discipline of psychology. Even if you have no interest in IT just having a bit of knowledge and training can make you stand out from other masters/job candidates.

Advertisement