Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

RTE & Religion

• 08-06-2012 4:03pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,555 ✭✭✭✭

Not only do RTE force the Angelus on us daily and often lead with their news with church stories, they have now made a page for the upcoming Eucharistic Congress an actual category heading on their news website.

See Link

I really don't understand why they always do this.

I know posters here will say this is a catholic country but I do not think the website of a national broadcaster should be promoting religion like this.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,420 ✭✭✭electrobanana

Its for Jesus n sh*t..

• Registered Users Posts: 3,808 ✭✭✭FatherLen

no. it's because there are still a lot of catholics in this country that will want to see these things. they don't force anything on you. just because you're not interested doesn't mean nobody is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,640 ✭✭✭Pushtrak

My main concern with religion is primary schools prioritizing places for those with birth certs*. Pick your battles. This is small fry in comparison to other things.

*Baptised.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

murpho999 wrote: »
    they have now made a page for the upcoming Eucharistic Congress an actual category heading on their news website.

It's only held once every four years

Ireland has not hosted it for eighty years

What's the issue?
    Should RTÉ ignore it? There are people flying in from all over the world to attend it
    It's big news so goes on the news website

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,373 ✭✭✭tonycascarino

I really do not understand why some people get their knickers in a twist over things like this. Live and let live is all I say.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,736 ✭✭✭Irish Guitarist

They're not forcing it on you. Change the channel.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

Just don't watch RTE any more, problem solved.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 458 ✭✭Craebear

Atheists will literally ruin this country. Sure wasn't Bertie Ahern an atheist and look how corrupt he was.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,555 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

ScumLord wrote: »
    Just don't watch RTE any more, problem solved.

I'm not talking about it being on TV.

It's that they have given it such a prominent place on their website that bothers me.

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭mashling

I hate sports, and lots of other people seem to think they're mighty important, important enough to be in every news program and in every paper.

I just ignore, switch off, read other things.

• Advertisement

Craebear wrote: »
    Atheists will literally ruin this country.
    No, the catholic church has already done, and is doing that.
    Sure wasn't Bertie Ahern an atheist and look how corrupt he was.
    No. Actually, he has the same opinion about secularization as you do. So, no. http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055086871

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

They're not forcing you to watch it, just to pay for it. :rolleyes:

17,000 pilgrims from around the world also expected to attend.

That's huge money for Ireland for accomadation and expenses and what they will spend here

Maybe it should be cancelled to avoid bothering the OP

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 395 ✭✭Carazy

Change the channel and get over it!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 458 ✭✭Craebear

Pushtrak wrote: »
    No, the catholic church has already done, and is doing that.

No. Actually, he has the same opinion about secularization as you do. So, no.

Ah here now... it was atheist priests who ruined this country. No catholic priest would abuse a child. It's against their religion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,752 ✭✭✭pablomakaveli

It's they have given it such a prominent place on their website that bothers me.

Stories linked to religion can be big news stories just like with anything else really. I've no interest in it either but i can see why others may be interested.

Suggesting that the story should be hidden away because it is a religious one is a bit OTT.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 683 ✭✭✭General Relativity

Atheists will literally ruin this country. Sure wasn't Bertie Ahern an atheist and look how corrupt he was.

Yeah, what are those athiests doing wanting equality for all and an end to church involvement in state affairs? What a mad group of lads.

OT: I don't really care about the congress stuff. Be nice to see an end to the anglus tho.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,088 ✭✭✭muckwarrior

I'd rather they keep all the "that would be an ecumenical matter" stories under some unobtrusive tab than have them in the main headlines where I might actually see them. Can't see a problem here at all tbh.

Stories linked to religion can be big news stories just like with anything else really. I've no interest in it either but i can see why others may be interested.

Suggesting that the story should be hidden away because it is a religious one is a bit OTT.

People seem to misunderstand what I mean.

Please look at RTE's website in the link I sent....I don't think it deserves such a prominent position on their site insofar as creating a whole category heading for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

I see no problem in it, its a major international event that we happen to be hosting, that hopefully will bring an influx of spending pilgrims into the country for a few days.

• Advertisement

I see no problem in it, its a major international event that we happen to be hosting, that hopefully will bring an influx of spending pilgrims into the country for a few days.

Please....this is not a major international event.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,587 ✭✭✭Pace2008

I can't seem to find any estimates on numbers attending, does anyone have a ballpark figure? If it's a big enough event I don't see the problem. Though some of the more fervent religious believe it, secularism =/= completely eliminating religion from the public eye. Please don't give them fodder to feed their paranoid delusions.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,736 ✭✭✭Irish Guitarist

It's that they have given it such a prominent place on their website that bothers me.

Don't look at their website then.

There are plenty of people that are interested in it. Just because you're not doesn't mean it doesn't have a place.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

So don't go to their website. :confused:
    Please look at RTE's website in the link I sent....
    No.... See how easy it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

Please....this is not a major international event.

For Catholics it is, your talking about a worldwide religion that has over one billion followers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,602 ✭✭✭emzolita

I know where you're coming from, but I have absolutely no interest in the Olympics and I don't understandf why the torch was passed through Dublin when it's the London Olympics,
    But it's just one of those things OP, needs of many and all that jazz, but I doubt the majority of the people that are interested in the EC have heard of the interweb,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,973 ✭✭✭RayM

I know posters here will say this is a catholic country but I do not think the website of a national broadcaster should be promoting religion like this.

They're not really 'promoting' religion; they're just catering for those who are interested in it. They could ban all references to religious events, but that would only give ammunition to the tedious dullards who whinge about Catholics being persecuted by the 'liberal media'.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,674 ✭✭✭Dangerous Man

I used to think that the Angelus was acceptable because of how embedded Catholicism is in our culture; I grew up a Catholic as did my friends and our families and so felt its place was natural.

Today, however, I now find its existence utterly repulsive; it's not to do with child rape or sexism or corruption or anti-intellectualism or industrial abuse or what have you - it's simply the fact that it looks absolutely bizarre and makes us out to be a nation of craven religious sycophants. It's embarrassing.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,562 ✭✭✭eyescreamcone

:confused: You are joking aren't you???
    Bertie of the big lump of dirt on his face every ash wednesday
    Bertie of the cosy deals with the RCC regarding how little should be coughed up by the RCC clergy to pay for their part in the abuse scandals.
    etc.

Bertie an atheist - NOT!!!

• Advertisement

emzolita wrote: »
    I know where you're coming from, but I have absolutely no interest in the Olympics and I don't understandf why the torch was passed through Dublin when it's the London Olympics,
    But it's just one of those things OP, needs of many and all that jazz, but I doubt the majority of the people that are interested in the EC have heard of the interweb,

I didn't see RTE set up a section on the website for the Olympic torch full of history of the Olympic torch etc.

All those saying don't look at it.....very annoying answer.

The point is that RTE seem determined to promote the Catholic church at any opportunity whilst no I know is talking about the IEC the way the website would have you believe.

It's all very well giving it some coverage when it actually happens but they have it set up as if it's a Vatican equivalent of The Olympic Games.

It's all very well giving it some coverage when it actually happens but they have it set up as if it's a Vatican equivalent of The Olympic Games.

Well it sort of is

It's the biggest event every four years and goes to cities all over the world

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,733 ✭✭✭Duckworth_Luas

:confused: You are joking aren't you???
    Bertie of the big lump of dirt on his face every ash wednesday
    Bertie of the cosy deals with the RCC regarding how little should be coughed up by the RCC clergy to pay for their part in the abuse scandals.
    etc.

Bertie an atheist - NOT!!!
    If you think Bertie believed in anything other than self-promotion and his own pocket then you are deluded!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 537 ✭✭✭rgmmg

mikemac1 wrote: »
    That's huge money for Ireland for accomadation and expenses and what they will spend here

Maybe it should be cancelled to avoid bothering the OP

They'll probably be holed up at Lough Derg. Between sleep depravation, a strict bread and water diet and every waking hour spent knocking out renditions of the rosary, I can't much money filtering back to the wider economy :D

• Registered Users Posts: 218 ✭✭LincolnsBeard

The Irish are a religious people.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

FatherLen wrote: »
    no. it's because there are still a lot of catholics in this country that will want to see these things. they don't force anything on you. just because you're not interested doesn't mean nobody is.

I have to agree with this.

I might not like it but RTE is here to represent the people.
    Not just the ones I like which just favour my mad notions (gawd help them if they do!).

As for using their own website for reporting in detail in a dedicated section about the Eucharistic Congress, well it will be news and they are trying to fulfil their remit of bringing news and information to the masses via a body that hopefully will be more fair and accurate than just a more profit making media business with owner agendas.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,747 ✭✭✭✭wes

I have no idea what the congress thing is all about as I am not Catholic, but the impression I have gotten is that its a pretty major event for one of the worlds largest Religions, with something like a billion adherents? Surely, such an event is news worthy, especially when its hosted in Ireland, where a lot of our population are also adherents.

As for the Angelus, its pretty harmless, and I can't say that I care about it one way or the other.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,138 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

It will be interesting to see how many people show up for this big do and how it compares with the last one.

In addition, they'll probably need the riot-Guards to hold back the "anti" rabble.

wes wrote: »
    ...As for the Angelus, its pretty harmless, and I can't say that I care about it one way or the other.

The wife and I just mute the volume till its over.
    Its nay bother.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 919 ✭✭✭Pedant

I saw loads of Eucharistic Congress flags along the quays in Dublin on Wednesday. With what the Church has done, it's like putting Swastika flags up and advertising a Nuremberg Rally. I think some people should rally together take, take them all down and burn then in the middle of O'Connell Bridge.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,533 ✭✭✭Jester252

RTE are talking about it because it is one of the biggest events in Ireland in the next couple off weeks. What to you what them to cover instead? Breaking news from RTE It raining again

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,512 ✭✭✭Ellis Dee

As, unfortunately, a lot of little boys have discovered, religion is really a pain in the arse, but I just ignore it most of the time and there are plenty of channels to watch besides RTE ever since I got a satellite dish and black box for only €180 from a reputable installer in Mountmellick. I'm just glad I don't have to pay a licence fee.:):):)

• Registered Users Posts: 22 scotty1

Not only do RTE force the Angelus on us daily and often lead with their news with church stories, they have now made a page for the upcoming Eucharistic Congress an actual category heading on their news website.

See Link

I really don't understand why they always do this.

I know posters here will say this is a catholic country but I do not think the website of a national broadcaster should be promoting religion like tWhy

Why not rename the angelus, a moment of reflection and prayer for every one regardless of what religion

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

Pushtrak wrote: »
    My main concern with religion is primary schools prioritizing places for those with birth certs. Pick your battles. This is small fry in comparison to other things.

doesnt everyone have a birth cert, regardless of religion?

Helix wrote: »
    doesnt everyone have a birth cert, regardless of religion?
    What I meant was children who are baptised. I'm not exactly a fan of religious favouritism in the education system.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

gotcha

completely different thign to a birth cert tho

Pedant wrote: »
    I saw loads of Eucharistic Congress flags along the quays in Dublin on Wednesday. With what the Church has done, it's like putting Swastika flags up and advertising a Nuremberg Rally. I think some people should rally together take, take them all down and burn then in the middle of O'Connell Bridge.

If you take them all down and burn them in the street - wouldn't that be like a Nuremberg Rally too?

:eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,520 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

mikemac1 wrote: »
    It's only held once every four years

Ireland has not hosted it for eighty years

What's the issue?
    Should RTÉ ignore it? There are people flying in from all over the world to attend it
    It's big news so goes on the news website

The Catholic olympics. I wonder if they have an official energy drink.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭true

on Ash Wednesday he never looked like an atheist, he always had a mark on his forhead;)
    But I agree he helped ruin the country

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,219 ✭✭✭woodoo

They have a department in RTE that deals with religion. I was put on to them when i complained about the angelus.

• Site Banned Posts: 161 ✭✭John37

Its no big deal OP. Just turn over to a different channel if it annoys you so much. Like as if tis a big deal:confused:

• Advertisement
Advertisement