Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

RTE & Religion

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,211 ✭✭✭Owen_S

Craebear wrote: »
    Atheists will literally ruin this country. Sure wasn't Bertie Ahern an atheist and look how corrupt he was.
    Yeah we'll ruin the country. We secretly hatch plans to destroy the country every Sunday morning when the rest of ye aren't around.

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭Jimmyhologram

woodoo wrote: »
    They have a department in RTE that deals with religion. I was put on to them when i complained about the angelus.

What did they say in the end?

From my experience of conversations with people that have worked in RTÉ, it is the religious and the elderly that are the most proactive when it comes to making official complaints.

Hence, they are a constituency that must be dealt with carefully.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,219 ✭✭✭woodoo

What did they say in the end?

From my experience of conversations with people that have worked in RTÉ, it is the religious and the elderly that are the most proactive when it comes to making official complaints.

Hence, they are a constituency that must be dealt with carefully.

I emailed them and received an email back saying they were forwarding my complaint to the religious dept. Someone form there emailed me asking why i had a problem with it. I replied and they never got back to me after that.

More people who want rid of it should email them.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,562 ✭✭✭eyescreamcone

:confused: You are joking aren't you???
    Bertie of the big lump of dirt on his face every ash wednesday
    Bertie of the cosy deals with the RCC regarding how little should be coughed up by the RCC clergy to pay for their part in the abuse scandals.
    etc.

Bertie an atheist - NOT!!!
    If you think Bertie believed in anything other than self-promotion and his own pocket then you are deluded!

Bertie never claimed to be anything but a Catholic.
    What he actually believes in is irrelevant (as recent studies have shown) once he labels himself as a Catholic.

I do agree that he'd have joined the Moonies if he thought it would have served him better.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

Bertie never claimed to be anything but a Catholic.
    What he actually believes in is irrelevant (as recent studies have shown) once he labels himself as a Catholic.

I do agree that he'd have joined the Moonies if he thought it would have served him better.

Yeh exactly, he certainly obeyed the Catholic laws on marriage:rolleyes::)

Why oh why is The Angelus permitted yet there is no celebration of other faiths before the six-one news?

Whats wrong with having Protestant, Muslim, Jewish, Hindu etc celebrations before Six-one?(Along with an atheist celebration:D). Of course RTE have to allocate 10 minutes of broadcast beforehand.

Fair is fair??!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 919 ✭✭✭Pedant

Biggins wrote: »
    If you take them all down and burn them in the street - wouldn't that be like a Nuremberg Rally too?

:eek:

No, it's different when you're burning fascist/Nazi/RCC memorabilia. If you're burning something that represents hate and intolerance it represents the fact that you're against hate and intolerance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,930 ✭✭✭Jimoslimos

I see no problem in it, its a major international event that we happen to be hosting, that hopefully will bring an influx of spending pilgrims into the country for a few days.
    Major international event? Can anyone recall where the last one was held? Or did we have news coverage of that as well?

In much the same way the Special Olympics is a major international event, it's only of major interest to the host country, otherwise not. Probably deserving of a 20-30 second piece on the news (after main headlines).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

Jimoslimos wrote: »
    Major international event? Can anyone recall where the last one was held? Or did we have news coverage of that as well?

In much the same way the Special Olympics is a major international event, it's only of major interest to the host country, otherwise not. Probably deserving of a 20-30 second piece on the news (after main headlines).

It's gonna rival the Euro's, extensive coverage on all the tv channels with exclusive coverage auctioned off to the highest bidders. Think I heard that Sky won the rights to Premier Eucharist coverage.

RTE ain't happy at all quoting that the license fee should be raised so we can bid on exclusive holy events. FG & FF TD's have recalled the Dail, its a national crisis. Millions are on the streets protesting(and attending Mass) at an atheist takeover of the communication infrastructure. Don't look out the window, all that rain falling is actually Holy Water cleansing streets of unbelievers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,285 ✭✭✭MayoForSam

I do have an issue with the fact the congress is being shown on RTE 2 (HD) so those of us with Saorview are relegated to watching Cork v Kerry in SD and the picture quality is crap (when you're used to HD) :mad:

Why couldn't they have put the holy show on RTE 1 and left the sports coverage in HD?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,440 ✭✭✭The Aussie

woodoo wrote: »
    when i complained about the angelus.

Classic...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

No religion in my house but it doesn't bother me. I'm not a sports fan so should I complain about the coverage of the football? No cause just because I hate it doesn't mean others do. I'm sure lots will turn in, people who couldn't go and its only on for a week. No harm.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

Originally Posted by Pedant
    I saw loads of Eucharistic Congress flags along the quays in Dublin on Wednesday. With what the Church has done, it's like putting Swastika flags up and advertising a Nuremberg Rally. I think some people should rally together take, take them all down and burn then in the middle of O'Connell Bridge.
    If you take them all down and burn them in the street - wouldn't that be like a Nuremberg Rally too?
    Pedant wrote: »
    No, it's different when you're burning fascist/Nazi/RCC memorabilia. If you're burning something that represents hate and intolerance it represents the fact that you're against hate and intolerance.

Burning something you disagree with (or not), is like the book burning of Germany (or even in cases in the Southern states of America at one stage).
    ...No matter what the excuse! Do you believe that just because you think your reason is just, that the end then justifies the means and makes it right so?

One is either an advocate for general freedoms of expressions or against it.
    Book burning or in this case, destroying of expressions of faith are no different from the examples of intolerance of the past.
    We should move on from this behaviour - not justify it when and because it just suits our cause or thinking!

For the record: I say the above as an Atheist.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 141 ✭✭Patrick Cleburne

And the Irish people actually pay for this. Just glad I wasn't born into a Catholic family or a Catholic nation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,082 ✭✭✭Feathers

OP, whatever you do don't open the Irish Times website. Massive box on the Euros — takes up the whole page unless you scroll & tabs added to the menu on Emmigration, Euro 2012 & exam timetables!

I mean I know exams are going on, but they already had a news story about it without having to shove a dedicated tab down are throats!? We're not all doing exams :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,903 ✭✭✭Napper Hawkins

Burn religion eh? Where do I sign?!

• Advertisement
Advertisement