Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Working on Barrow St beside Grand Canal DART, where to live?

Options
  • 08-06-2012 4:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 654 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

Hoping to get some wisdom here from any Dubs as its another culchie moving up to the big smoke!

As the thread says, Im going to be working on Barrow St just beside the Grand Canal DART station and Im going to be looking for somewhere to live next week.

Havent had a look on Daft yet as Im not too sure where to start but any info on areas that would be good for this are most welcome.

I have a car but I obviously wont be using it to drive to work given where Il be working parking will be impossible I guess.

So anywhere really nearby for a house share. Walking distance less than 10mins maybe as Im allergic to the wet, cold mornings or else dont mind getting the dart seeing as it stops beside work.

I really would appreciate any tips/help/info that anyone might have.

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,397 ✭✭✭Paparazzo

I work in the area for years, it's a nice area. A rough guide, north of the end of Barrow street isn't as good as south.
    I just did a quick check on DAFT, somewhere like this is a fantastic location. Haddington road has a few nice pubs, Baggot Street has everything, there's even a tesco 5 minutes walk, and you can walk into town. Not sure about parking though

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

Parking is a no-no, its paid parking till midnight every day except Sunday.

Any of the side streets behind Google are grand for living in. Houses are small but apartments are quite modern.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,397 ✭✭✭Paparazzo

IF you live there can you get a (paid) permit?

• Registered Users Posts: 654 ✭✭✭dashdoll

Thanks a mil for the info. would also be interested in places along the dart line even seeing as it stops right outside work.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,627 ✭✭✭Lawrence1895

You're not too far away from the beach, just take the dart to Bray.

And Lansdowne Road...erm, the Aviva Stadium, is in walking distance.

• Advertisement

Thanks for that! Am considering Dromcondra area also as have friends there and could get the train into Grand Canal Dock for work. Does this sound feasible or a lot of hassle?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,219 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

dashdoll wrote: »
    Thanks for that! Am considering Dromcondra area also as have friends there and could get the train into Grand Canal Dock for work. Does this sound feasible or a lot of hassle?

Would that not be two trains?
    If the timings work out, go for it. Drumcondra's a nice area, but you have the whole of the DART line in both directions to choose from too.

The DART doesn't go to Drumcondra?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,219 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

The DART goes Howth-Bray and Malahide-Bray, along the coast.

Drumcondra is on the Maynooth line, so AFAIK, you'd have to change in Connolly or Pearse to get to Grand Canal Dock.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

Arrow to Drumcondra. To get a direct train to GCD from there depends on timings as alot of the journeys would require a change as some trains top at Pearse st.

• Advertisement

Thanks again, I had a look online and there are some direct trains to GCD and some of them you have to change at Pearse St....is this a lot of hassle twice a day? Journey would take 15-20 mins Im guessing which is grand.

Was looking at Ringsend on Daft and it seems quite expensive...550-600e pm. Am looking to share and pay around 400e pm, not more than 450e anyway!

Any other areas that would be good or any advice at all? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

Yep, Drumcondra is on the Maynooth commuter line, not the Dart. No point in changing trains at Connolly. Just stay on until Pearse Station, walk down down Pearse St and you'll be in the Barrow St area 10-15 mins tops. The train is jam packed in the mornings and evenings. It can be an uncomfortable ride if you are going all the way to Maynooth, but you'll only be going a few stops to Drumcondra, so it shouldn't be too bad. Another option is to get one of the many buses into town that go thru Drumcondra. Get the Luas down to Spencer Dock and walk across the river to GCD, but the train would be quicker.

The area where you work ain't cheap as it borders the mega posh areas of Ballsbridge & Sandymount. It is very close to town and the likes of Google and Facebook being in the area keeps means rents will never be cheap. It's a great part of town if you like being close to the action as the Avivia, the RDS, Shelbourne Park & The Grand Canal Theatre are close by too. That also drives rents up.

The newer Celtic Tiger apts built near the theatre are lovely and modern. The ones that I looked at were tiny inside. They were usually quite dark as they are all so close together. Few of them came with parking. Ringsend/Irishtown will be cheaper in general, but you'll need to do your research if you chose there. Parts of it can be a bit dodgy, but I have read lots of posts here about it being a great tight knit community too. There is social housing in the area, and small terraced cottages originally built for dock workers. You are not going to find many housing estates, with 3/4 bedroom semi detached houses, with lots of room for 3-4 people to spread out in in that part of the world.

I am in a 2 bed apt across the river from there in the IFSC. It stretches all the way from Connolly Station to the O2. The apts are older, but they are generally bigger and better built (which affects your heating bills in the winter) even if most of them still have their original 25 year old kitchens & bathrooms. They are generally less expensive too as they aren't quite as new and modern, or in such a hip area as Grand Canal Dock. I can walk to GCD in about 10-15 mins. It's a lovely walk by the river.

If you do decide on staying in town, do your research on the parking situ. Make sure that you have a space specifically FOR YOU. Get it in writing if possible. Most of the newer builds won't have any unless the owners paid out big bucks for a parking space when they first bought the apt. If your landlord didn't do that, your apt won't have any parking. If you see an underground parking garage, don't presume that you can just show up and and park your car where ever you like. As there is zero visitor or common parking areas, parking your car can be a total pain. I can't emphasize this enough. It is a really big problem where I am, as people find that out AFTER they have signed a lease that they have no parking for their car. Landlords and estate agents can sometimes be a tad economical with the truth in that department.

If you want to go further out, you have half the city within walking distance of the DART. Finding parking for your car should be easier. Prices will be lower and you will generally get more bang for your buck price and space wise, especially if you stick to the Northside suburbs such as Kilester, Raheny, Clontarf etc. But remember the closer you are to the DART, the higher the rents will be as everyone wants to be close to it. You'll have a longer commute overall, but if your budget is only 400 euros, the odds of you finding somewhere (that isn't a complete kip) a 10 minute walk from work are not great.

Factor in what your monthly cost of commuting will be before you decide too...DARTs, commuter trains, Luas trams, buses, taxis home after a night out etc etc. Living out in the suburbs coz it is cheaper may be a false economy if you are shelling out a ton of money to get to and from there every day.

Thanks a mil for all of that info, really appreciate it

Well with regards to budget, I can def go to 450e but wouldnt be too keen to pay more than that.

Am still considering Drumcondra I suppose mainly cos there is more choice but would need to be near the train if living there to make it worth my while.

Tbh, there seems to be very little near Ringsend at the moment regardless of price particularly because I need parking.

Will have a look at the Ballsbridge/Landsdowne area too, paying a little extra to have decent parking out there if I could walk to work would be fine.

Thanks again :)

Don't mean to be always harping on about the parking situ, but Ballsbridge/Landsdowne Rd areas will be just as hard as GCD. Lots of people work there, the Aviva and the RDS are there, so demand for parking is always high. The price of land has always been very, very high in Ballsbridge, so street parking & public car parks are very limited. Same situ will apply with apt buildings. If the owner didn't buy a space, when he bought the apt, he won't have one. Visitor or common area parking will be very limited.

Drumcondra has Croke Park. The local residents & Gardai are very vigilant about keeping match goers from clogging up the area with their cars on match days. A permit parking system is in operation. Not sure if you can get one of those if you are a renter. Find out, or better yet, ask your friends what the dealio is, before you decide.

ProudDUB wrote: »
    Don't mean to be always harping on about the parking situ, but Ballsbridge/Landsdowne Rd areas will be just as hard as GCD. Lots of people work there, the Aviva and the RDS are there, so demand for parking is always high. The price of land has always been very, very high in Ballsbridge, so street parking & public car parks are very limited. Same situ will apply with apt buildings. If the owner didn't buy a space, when he bought the apt, he won't have one. Visitor or common area parking will be very limited.

Drumcondra has Croke Park. The local residents & Gardai are very vigilant about keeping match goers from clogging up the area with their cars on match days. A permit parking system is in operation. Not sure if you can get one of those if you are a renter. Find out, or better yet, ask your friends what the dealio is, before you decide.
    Thanks again for that. FInding parking is probably gong to be the trickiest part nearly. Would love to be around ringsend ideally but anything on daft there is a bit too expensive for my budget. Wouldn't mind the ifsc area but nothing really with a parking space there that I could afford so pretty much decided on somewhere in drumcondra near enough to the train / bus unless i see something in my budget in ringsend! Gonna ring around tomorrow and try sort some viewings for tues or weds. Thanks again for the advice!

These 3 properties are all in the IFSC. They all seem to have parking included in the rent.

http://www.daft.ie/searchrental.daft?id=1212660

Divide that rent in two and its only 75 euros over your 450 budget. You deffo have a space to stash a car. You are a 10 minute walk to and from work. You don't have to pay to commute to and from work or pay for taxis home after a night out. Up to you to decide if the 75 quid is worth it.

http://www.daft.ie/searchrental.daft?id=1200317

Private parking available. Not sure what that means. Call and find out.

http://www.daft.ie/searchrental.daft?id=1211018

Says it has secure underground parking. Not sure if that means you have your own space. Again, call and find out.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,981 ✭✭✭✭Hanley

If you're working on Barrow Street and looking to get there from DC (Drumcondra), no train, but the number 3 bus route gets you really bloody close :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,390 ✭✭✭The Big Red Button

dashdoll wrote: »

Clontarf/Fairview could be good areas to look? Clontarf Road Dart station is between the two (Darts go directly to Barrow St from there), and Drumcondra is only a 15-20 minute walk away if you want to be close to your friends.

I've lived on Barrow Street myself, and the apartments in Barrow St/GCD/Ballsbridge are way overpriced, and there's always hassle trying to find somewhere with parking. And the rent for a parking space separately is extortionate!
    ProudDUB wrote: »
    These 3 properties are all in the IFSC. They all seem to have parking included in the rent.

http://www.daft.ie/searchrental.daft?id=1212660

Divide that rent in two and its only 75 euros over your 450 budget. You deffo have a space to stash a car. You are a 10 minute walk to and from work. You don't have to pay to commute to and from work or pay for taxis home after a night out. Up to you to decide if the 75 quid is worth it.

http://www.daft.ie/searchrental.daft?id=1200317

Private parking available. Not sure what that means. Call and find out.

http://www.daft.ie/searchrental.daft?id=1211018

Says it has secure underground parking. Not sure if that means you have your own space. Again, call and find out.

The problem with the IFSC is that it's not the nicest place to live, there seems to be quite a bit of anti-social behaviour there (especially in recent months, phones/handbags being grabbed), and it's absolutely deserted at weekends ... which just isn't particularly nice. In my opinion it's nice to live somewhere with a bit of a sense of community.

And I definitely would not feel safe walking through the IFSC late at night - I've done it plenty of times, but it's not a nice feeling. You get plenty of the neighbours from Sheriff St, just around the corner, hanging around there in the evenings.

Advertisement