Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Euro 2012 RTE Panel Watch

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭Kerrydude1981

I think the red button option on BBC is a great job,gives you the choice of the TV commentary or the Radio 5 commentary,I switched over to it last night,Alan Green imo is a top class commentator even if he had Chris Waddle with him

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,544 ✭✭✭marwelie

Canning is useless, he is a GAH commentator and should stick to what he's good at. Collins has surprised me as to the quality of his commentary, always thought of him as purely an anchor man. Alkins always good. Best cocommentator is Houghton, followed by Kerr for entertainment value. In the studio, I'll have nothing bad said about Giles and Dunphy, they are our equivalent of Waldorf and Stadler and even when they say nothing its more relevant than any of the rubbish the BBC and ITV "analysts" come up with. I havent watched any coverage from either English channels but from past experience I dont believe that the boys in the studio have even watched the match in question sometimes. Sadlier and Hamann are really good too, althogh Didis nervous thing with his eyes is very unnerving ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,949 ✭✭✭Samich

marwelie wrote: »
    Canning is useless, he is a GAH commentator and should stick to what he's good at. Collins has surprised me as to the quality of his commentary, always thought of him as purely an anchor man. Alkins always good. Best cocommentator is Houghton, followed by Kerr for entertainment value. In the studio, I'll have nothing bad said about Giles and Dunphy, they are our equivalent of Waldorf and Stadler and even when they say nothing its more relevant than any of the rubbish the BBC and ITV "analysts" come up with. I havent watched any coverage from either English channels but from past experience I dont believe that the boys in the studio have even watched the match in question sometimes. Sadlier and Hamann are really good too, althogh Didis nervous thing with his eyes is very unnerving ;)

Alkins voice is shocking. The main thing you want from a commentator is a good voice.

Canning has the best voice of the RTE guys but then he tries to be too cliche

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,222 ✭✭✭✭Will I Amnt

born2bwild wrote: »
    Renn wrote: »
    He didn't say "sideline cuts".

No, he's got this really fycked up culchie/posh accent where he says 'sideline cats'
    I can't stand his accent,be it for football or GAA.
    At least learn how to say Dublin properly.
    Wtf is "Doblin" all about??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,255 ✭✭✭Renn

Always find it funny people having a go at the BBC/ITV guys when they're essentially the same thing - cliché-ridden pundits.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,277 ✭✭✭batistuta9

It's funny as well when dunphy's in with hamann or the other younger lads & he's starts going on about these great players from the past or who he calls great players - most people haven't heard of them & they weren't even that good

no one takes him up on it but if gilles is in with him the both of them just keep naming them off :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,763 ✭✭✭Jax Teller

What's the name of the guy who was commentating on the Spain vs Italy game? I thought he was the only good one, got very excited whenever the ball made its way into the penalty box and had good chemistry with the other fella.

Think that was Stephen Alkin & Brian Kerr .

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭BIG BAD JOHN

Collins annoys me immensely. In both the games involving Denmark (especially the first against Holland) he was obviously on the side of the opposition. I don't have a problem with commentators posing as supporters with microphones when their home country is involved but they really ought to be neutral otherwise.
    I like the "red button" idea. I used to do something similar (albeit using more rudimentary technology) when watching cricket on the BBC. I turned the sound down on the telly and tuned in to the radio. I actually learned quite a lot that way - getting to know what terms like "long on", "the gully" and, an especial favourite, "short of a length" actually meant.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,465 ✭✭✭supersean1999

im really looking forward to dumphys rants tonight if and when we get passed and beaten off the pitch,

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,465 ✭✭✭supersean1999

im really looking forward to dumb phys rants tonight if and when we get passed and beaten off the pitch,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 288 ✭✭Thefirestarter

Stephen Alkin and Brian Kerr are on for the Italy v Croatia match, George Hamilton and Ronnie Whelan:( for the Ireland v Spain game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,017 ✭✭✭Leslie91

Brian Kerr for me has been brilliant on the matches he's been No. 2 for. It suits him perfectly as he is talking about players and stuff he knows but has no association with. With Ireland he kinda has that association so probably has to be a bit more careful and so not as good. Canning is a tool, will never listen to him on football. Giles is a dinosaur for me, galls me to see him in Godlike status with the OTB lads. He needs to be put out to pasture. Didi's english is so grammatically correct it is amazing, none of the Shearer's lad done well crap. Typical German eh!!!.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 941 ✭✭✭yomtea98

im really looking forward to dumb phys rants tonight if and when we get passed and beaten off the pitch,
    He wont rant if we are beaten by Spain.How could he?What does he expect?Then again this Dunphy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 288 ✭✭Thefirestarter

Leslie91 wrote: »
    Brian Kerr for me has been brilliant on the matches he's been No. 2 for. It suits him perfectly as he is talking about players and stuff he knows but has no association with. With Ireland he kinda has that association so probably has to be a bit more careful and so not as good. Canning is a tool, will never listen to him on football. Giles is a dinosaur for me, galls me to see him in Godlike status with the OTB lads. He needs to be put out to pasture. Didi's english is so grammatically correct it is amazing, none of the Shearer's lad done well crap. Typical German eh!!!.

I would agree with everything you said except about Giles. Ok, he might make a slip up now and again regarding managers, pronunciations of names, general lack of knowledge of leagues (or teams outside of the top 6 in England) but he has something that makes everybody warm to him; personality.

He comes across as somebody who is genuinely nice and combining him with the other elder statesmen of Dunphy and Brady, he is a gem.

Didi and Cunningham are a good combo of a panel, but you will always need somebody to stir the pot with some trouble or controversy otherwise it get's all samey, ala BBC or ITV.

Poor George getting laid into by Liam :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,064 ✭✭✭✭eh i dunno

It was the worst Irish team in history....thats why i was in it. Good man Eammo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,085 ✭✭✭BeanFlicker

Miguel Delaney, a foot in both camps, brilliant

And good auld Bill, "Cakewalk"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,631 ✭✭✭✭Hank Scorpio

funny stuff in the studio :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,465 ✭✭✭kitakyushu

eh i dunno wrote: »
    It was the worst Irish team in history....thats why i was in it. Good man Eammo

He's not wrong. They once went 4 years without a win during his era.

Good to see Eamo's having a laugh today. I reckon he got an early start.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 246 ✭✭Kamjana

nuxxx wrote: »
    funny stuff in the studio :)

Funny as fuck in fairness :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭BIG BAD JOHN

kitakyushu wrote: »
    He's not wrong. They once went 4 years without a win during his era.

Good to see Eamo's having a laugh today. I reckon he got an early start.

Has he been on the sauce, do you think?

Cringe there :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,873 ✭✭✭Skid

I think they could drop that Social Media Poll.

Bill and the Panel don't seem remotely interested in it (quite rightly)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,473 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

Has he been on the sauce, do you think?

The last few minutes it seemed as if they all had been on the sauce :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,017 ✭✭✭Leslie91

I would agree with everything you said except about Giles. Ok, he might make a slip up now and again regarding managers, pronunciations of names, general lack of knowledge of leagues (or teams outside of the top 6 in England) but he has something that makes everybody warm to him; personality.

He comes across as somebody who is genuinely nice and combining him with the other elder statesmen of Dunphy and Brady, he is a gem.

Didi and Cunningham are a good combo of a panel, but you will always need somebody to stir the pot with some trouble or controversy otherwise it get's all samey, ala BBC or ITV.

That's not what Giles brings though?.... (but I agree a proper panel needs the 'nutjob' like Dunphy)

He might be nice and all but he is taking the pizz. OK so he has an idea about how the game should be played but so do most experienced players/coaches. All he does to prepare I reckon is read a few newspapers, he had no up to date contacts in the game to get meaty info from. Sound man he may be but for me he is past his sell by date.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,473 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

Skid wrote: »
    I think they could drop that Social Media Poll.

Bill and the Panel don't seem remotely interested in it (quite rightly)

yeah it's pretty rubbish. Most of them are just asking if Ireland will win etc. and of course we will be biased.
    Yesterday's poll was probably the most interesting, the question was 'should Robbie Keane be dropped'. It was 60-40 in favour of him being dropped IIRC.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,416 ✭✭✭Jimmy Iovine

"You were always a bit cynical weren't you?"

- classic Bill

This is ****ing brilliant. Bill is on fire with his 'metaphysical' comments and ripping into John.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,161 ✭✭✭rednik

A load of metabolics.:D

Bill spoon feeding Giles.

"So John ...*leans forward"..Tell us about Pirlo"

• Advertisement

Funny stuff :D

But what exactly have they "got"? :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,873 ✭✭✭Skid

"Let's move on, talk about the Croatian Attack ..."

No, let's hear more about Dunphy's Clarinet!

• Subscribers Posts: 16,592 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

Heh, Liams fake walk out when Eamo said he himself had a bit of class.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,478 ✭✭✭✭gnfnrhead

The lads are in great form today :D

"And if he brought his clarinet he'd have gotten 25 caps and a statuette"

This is comedy gold. Never see the likes of it on BBC.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,191 ✭✭✭BKC

Brilliant stuff! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,891 ✭✭✭✭klose

If your not watching Rte coverage your at nothing

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,924 ✭✭✭wonderfullife

lads the past 10 mins here have just been ****ing epic :) pure gold!!! "who else has that ability?" -"Xavi. Iniesta. Fabregas. All for Spain christ (lol)"

(briefly flicked over to Pardew/Shearer/Lineker - about as much personality in a plum as all 3 put together)

Skid wrote: »
    "Let's move on, talk about the Croatian Attack ..."

No, let's hear more about Dunphy's Clarinet!

Don't know how he is on the clarinet but he looks well flutered already.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,161 ✭✭✭rednik

I dread the day they're gone.

Here comes Brian. I'm looking forward to some commentary classics from him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,191 ✭✭✭BKC

Brian Kerr! :D

Man of the match today? Brian Kerr.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,671 ✭✭✭BraziliaNZ

this isn't fair :(. First of all why aren't any of you working? I can't get RTE in the UK and no one seems to be uploading the analysis to youtube this time around :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,419 ✭✭✭born2bwild

No wonder Apres Match is rubbish now: the real panel is funnier now than the parody ever could be.

• Advertisement

Jackerini, great player.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,142 ✭✭✭ciano1

The Czechs?

• Subscribers Posts: 16,592 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

Renn wrote: »
    Jackerini, great player.

Out of Ballybough I believe.

"I never heard of the net rattling, but then again I never really played in goal that much"

- Brian is on form today

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,891 ✭✭✭✭klose

Kerr sounds like he's out of breath when talking

• Advertisement
Advertisement