Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Euro 2012 RTE Panel Watch

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,465 ✭✭✭kitakyushu

Giles talking about the Czech striker "Borrish"?

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,232 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

kitakyushu wrote: »
    Giles talking about the Czech striker "Borrish"?
    And the little guy, Pillar

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,255 ✭✭✭Renn

Sadlier really is clueless. Hanging around with Dunphy and Giles too much it seems.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,683 ✭✭✭heavyballs

Renn wrote: »
    Sadlier really is clueless. Hanging around with Dunphy and Giles too much it seems.

only 1 man loves the sound of his own voice more than Richie and that's George Hamilton and that stupid looking grin just grinds me down

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 6,335 Mod ✭✭✭✭PerrinV2

Rochey18 wrote: »
    Whelan is so negative in his commentary.

God he's awful,ruins the games for me with his constant whining

• Advertisement

No wonder Liverpool won so much in the 80's. Losing meant you'd have to listen to Houghton and Whelan whining on about what you should have done.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,191 ✭✭✭BKC

Why are they talking about Eusebio?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭tdv123

BKC wrote: »

He's coming out of retirment.

Collins is the worst commentator of the lot! I've switched to BBC for 2nd half.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,787 ✭✭✭Jayob10

Go for it Ronnie.

whats this all about, what did I miss?

• Advertisement

He was a striker iirc?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,191 ✭✭✭BKC

He was a striker iirc?

Yeah, a good 40 years ago!

Eh, off the post is off target Peter.

Yeah, a good 40 years ago!

Only for Giles, eh!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

Eh, off the post is off target Peter.

How a commentator doesn't know that is beyond me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,508 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Crinklewood

Shut up Ronnie.

"They make them big and strong..."

Caress it :D

Postigo. What a player.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,139 ✭✭✭Red Crow

Ritchie is useless. Postigo

Funny Queiroz got sacked soon after a bad result v Cyprus. Staunton does even worse and the FAI's response is keep on going til the bitter end son!

• Advertisement

Oh Giles :D

• Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭Kerrydude1981

Darragh is wasting his time trying to get the boys to praise Ronaldo

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,232 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

This is like a carbon copy of that apres match sketch on great players

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

Richard Sadlier > Cristiano Ronaldo

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,300 ✭✭✭HazDanz

At least Darragh is poking them a little bit and trying to call them out on their bs.

Funny how they ALWAYS harp on about players tracking back/running around like a headless chicken.
    Defeat at home to Argentina, who had failed to qualify for the Mexico World Cup, pushed him closer to the edge, particularly when the Argentina defender Roberto Perfumo described Saldanha’s side as ‘the poorest Brazil team I have played against’. Wilson Piazza and Gérson had been swamped in the middle of the midfield, something for which Saldanha blamed Pelé, accusing him of having failed to follow his orders to track back and help. This was seen as insanity: criticising Pelé at all was bad enough, but to tell him to defend was heretical.

Pelé just didn't quite have enough in him to be one of the greats IMO.

Dunphy showing his expert knowledge of La Liga now (watches most El Clásicos , sobriety depending)

Dunphy always throws out the old Ronaldo not performing in the El Classicos story

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

Giles has made a fool out of himself again

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,586 ✭✭✭skeleton_boy

"Painting or soccer or athletics or rugby" :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭Dempsey

Dunphy beating his Ronaldo drum, again!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,625 ✭✭✭✭Johner

Marquez is the Barca goalie. :pac:

Oh this is ****ing embarrassing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Hilarious to hear them harping on about working hard when they don't seem to bother their arses to do the tiniest bit of research.

Great things for football are great.
    - E. Dunphy

• Advertisement

Dunphy:"Ronaldo has not been effective for Portugal."

Ronaldo is now the joint 3rd highest scorer in European Championship history

RTE are just old fools

Giles just said Pelé was the best player. Yus!

Christ this is sad

You'd thick they had this rehearsed in the hope that Ronaldo did not score.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,205 ✭✭✭Bad Panda

The 'he doesn't track back' argument is a bit silly.

Do people think he's not been doing what the coach tells him to for this many years?

He's not instructed to track back much. I think it's fairly obvious why, I don't need to go into the minute details...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,507 ✭✭✭✭castletownman

According to Giles work horse players like Park and Kuyt are more effective to a team than players like Ronaldo. Or something to that effect.

Christ almighty.

• Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭Chips Ahoy

If Ronaldo did defend the counter attack wouldn't be so effective , maybe the mangers want him to say up front, that would keep the full backs on the other team attacking.

Of course dunphy and giles would dismiss this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,507 ✭✭✭✭castletownman

Bad Panda wrote: »
    The 'he doesn't track back' argument is a bit silly.

Do people think he's not been doing what the coach tells him to for this many years?

He's not instructed to track back much. I think it's fairly obvious why, I don't need to go into the minute details...

How many touches has Mario Gomez, the scorer of Eamo's favourite goal of the tournament, had? How often Has he tracked back? As regards throwing his arms back in anger, Berbatov, Ronaldinho, Rooney and Drogba are other examples of players who do that regularly. Typical Ronaldo bashing from the lads.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,555 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

I think they have a point though....people here just judging him on his goalscoring record.

Giles and Dunphy's point is that to be remembered as a 'great' then he has to show more than that.

Weak interview with Go Ronnie-aldo just there. They didn't ask him why he doesn't get back to defend.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,787 ✭✭✭Jayob10

HazDanz wrote: »
    At least Darragh is poking them a little bit and trying to call them out on their bs.

There is nobody to challenge Giles and Dunphy in fairness. Giles doesn't like being challenged at all does he, for a bloke with such apparent football knowledge he does an awful lot of nodding and agreeing with most of nonsense Dunphy spouts.

Love to see Jonathan Wilson on with these guys, his tactical analysis would blow them out of the water. They would probably treat him with contempt and accuse him of over complicating things.

Giles has contradicted himself on Ronaldo there, he thinks chasing a player into his own half to win the ball leaves him in a dangerous position when he wins the balls back.

Basically he wants Ronaldo to go through the motions, make it look like he is working for the team. Ronaldo's work is putting the ball in the net. Granted, berating team mates is not on. But asking Ronaldo to chase back is a load of nonsense. If anything when they do win the ball back he is not in the danger area.

Messi is more calculating, he will track back but only selectively. sometimes its better for him to stay where he is, when a midfielder wins the ball back they can spring an attack really quickly.

The lads are watching too much of Rooney, and admire him for marauding into his own half to chase an opponent before winning the ball. its all blood and guts but its of little benefit, you want him where he is going to do damage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,205 ✭✭✭Bad Panda

How many touches has Mario Gomez, the scorer of Eamo's favourite goal of the tournament, had? How often Has he tracked back? As regards throwing his arms back in anger, Berbatov, Ronaldinho, Rooney and Drogba are other examples of players who do that regularly. Typical Ronaldo bashing from the lads.

And Ronnie Whelan does my head in. Seems to single Ronnie out in his commentary when he does something 'wrong'.

It's like he's trying to be bessie mates with the lads in the studio!

murpho999 wrote: »
    I think they have a point though....people here just judging him on his goalscoring record.

Giles and Dunphy's point is that to be remembered as a 'great' then he has to show more than that.

in 20 years time nobody will be talking about these frivolous things. His record and his goals will be remembered.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 184 ✭✭windsurfer99ie

Dempsey wrote: »
    Dunphy beating his Ronaldo drum, again!

I've been out all evening, I switch on, and those clowns are banging on about Ronaldo ... I didn't need to here his name - I just knew it would be him ...

and after England's match against Italy, win or lose, they'll be running down
    England.

They are like the guys that sit alone in pubs, saying hello to everyone that comes in, and nobody wants to be drawn into a conversation with them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 184 ✭✭windsurfer99ie

Oh this is ****ing embarrassing.

Agreed

• Advertisement
Advertisement