Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Euro 2012 RTE Panel Watch

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,190 ✭✭✭✭IvySlayer

Didis last game :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,656 ✭✭✭cgpg5

IvySlayer wrote: »
    Didis last game :eek:

Thought he was very good!

Just wondering though where did they get him outta? Wasn't WC2010 his first gig with the RTE? Very random guy to get really imo although I think he's proven very good

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭wonga77

I thought Didi was very good throughout the tourney, insightful, articulate and at least knew the names of the players he was talking about...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,906 ✭✭✭SarahBM

Playing Price Tag at the end there is a bit distasteful, isnt it???

But no more Didi!!! I am absolutely gutted!!!

and again with the replaying the old Apres Match! lazy lads, very lazy.

and finally, we should start a petition to get Kerr back :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 262 ✭✭coup1917

cgpg5 wrote: »
    He's deliberately trying to be controversial. I wouldn't pay any heed to him tbh

I agree, but i think he's very disrespecful towards germany and Didi.
    You' have to admire how didi didnt rise to dunphys rubbish....even though we'd all love to see him drop dunphy...
    How could you knock anything germany have done so far...not put a foot wrong tbf

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,555 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

SarahBM wrote: »

Eh....that was a new Apres Match...repeated format but new sketch.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,940 ✭✭✭kksaints

That was a new Apres Match.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,139 ✭✭✭flanzer

Dunphy - anti-German, anti-England - anti-football IMO. Getting sick of him now. Novelty is wearing off

Can't believe it's Didi's last game. Love the guy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,229 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

Jayob10 wrote: »
    Dunphy is an idiot, praising the greek people, he really loves to champion himself as someone who stands up for the little guy, from the comfort of his VIP section in Lillies of course.

RTE need someone to challenge his views, its not even that hard he talks such nonsense.

Eamon is basing everything Germany do on Bayern failing to win the European Cup. Not only is he "phoning it in" when it comes to his analysis, he is being a bit nasty tonight.

The man knows damn all about football, usually he finds out what John Giles as to say and then he spouts the very same before referring across to john to "see what the senior analyst thinks".

He has disappeared up his own hole.

I can't help thinking of the Apres Match Dunphy saying that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,056 ✭✭✭applehunter

Yep, Ronnie Whelan is an awful moan.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,949 ✭✭✭Samich

Ronnies voice is the worst. I'd rather text co commentary to come up.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,906 ✭✭✭SarahBM

kksaints wrote: »
    That was a new Apres Match.

No I dont think it was, wasnt it on the 2nd night of the champs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

Not RTE obviously, but watch the look Dixon gives Lineker when Shearer butts in :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

Lee Dixon is by the far the best of the BBC regulars (Shearer, Lawro, Hansen). They usually try to gang up on him and highlight any mistakes he makes. The old boys club dont take to him because he actaully analysis rather then give comment and opinion.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,431 ✭✭✭Felexicon

Paully D wrote: »
    Not RTE obviously, but watch the look Dixon gives Lineker when Shearer butts in :pac:
    To be fair he saved Dixon there. He was talking awful sh1te as usual

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,677 ✭✭✭Aenaes

Gonna miss Didi. Good pundit, doesn't get carried away with his opinions and can't be riled up by Bill or Eamon which probably drives them mad. Also liked his insights on the German set-up.

He's definitely superior to the likes of Seedorf/Vieira when ITV or BBC bring them in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 184 ✭✭windsurfer99ie

coup1917 wrote: »
    I agree, but i think he's very disrespecful towards germany and Didi.
    You' have to admire how didi didnt rise to dunphys rubbish....even though we'd all love to see him drop dunphy...
    How could you knock anything germany have done so far...not put a foot wrong tbf

Dunphy knocking Germany at half-time was more for effect than anything else. He didn't provide any sort of evidence for his opinion. It gives the appearance of balance and legitimises his extreme positions on, for example, Ronaldo and England.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,787 ✭✭✭Jayob10

Paully D wrote: »

I don't think its a pop at Shearer, more a gesture to Linekar to say "I made a balls of that"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 184 ✭✭windsurfer99ie

I don't think its a pop at Shearer, more a gesture to Linekar to say "I made a balls of that"

Agreed, Dixon wobbled, and he's an experienced enough broadcaster to acknowledge his mistake. It will be interesting to see whether any of the
    RTE panelists are prepared to do the same e.g.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CtA5EAFUl00

• Registered Users Posts: 3,787 ✭✭✭Jayob10

Agreed, Dixon wobbled, and he's an experienced enough broadcaster to acknowledge his mistake. It will be interesting to see whether any of the
    RTE panelists are prepared to do the same e.g.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CtA5EAFUl00

Dunphy does his absolute best to appeal to the lowest common denominator.

He talks about England and he imagines Irish folk at home are glowing with joy whilst listening to his nonsense.

I'm amazed nobody tackles his views, it would be quite easily to cut him to shreds on his football views, I suppose his colleagues see him as a bit of a maverick who could get nasty if he wanted to.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

They don't challenge him because they have a cushy number, Brady used to pull him up once upon a time but now he just stays silent most of the time and listens to Dunphys "insights"

Giles, well Giles is just fcuking annoying at this stage. Used to be quite a good analyst in the day

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,656 ✭✭✭cgpg5

Yeah that's what I got from it too

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,940 ✭✭✭kksaints

No I dont think it was, wasnt it on the 2nd night of the champs.

It was different. The format was the same but the acts were different. The 1st one had the Staunton, the Charlton and the Trapattoni. The acts for the skit today were different.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,677 ✭✭✭Aenaes

Darragh Maloney needs to stop asking Giles yes or no questions aswell.

If I hear "Well I don't know Darragh.." one more time!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,543 ✭✭✭JerryHandbag

Pity its Didis last contribution, thought he was good. In fact all the RTE pundits, I enjoy them all in various ways, the three wise men for their entertainment, and I think Didi, Sadlier & Cunningham are decent.

Where RTE falls down spectactularly (apart from usually having the commentary a few seconds ahead of the video feed) is Peter ****ing Collins and Ger ****ing Canning. OUT OF THEIR DEPTH.

Send them home please!

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

Wasn't watching the euros tonight, disappointed to hear Didi won't be on the panel anymore, really enjoy hearing his views.

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Registered Users Posts: 3,351 ✭✭✭Orando Broom

Dunphy is good at giving contextual, big picture analysis. Broad strokes with little factual content. It is no harm.

Soccer is a funny oul sport. It has been at the heart of especially European society since the turn of the 20th Century. At every level it is intertwined with our history. I'd love to see a guy like Simon Kuper (sp) play the Dunphy role; not analysing the game per se but giving context to he cultural and historical significance of the clash. If only Eamon would stay away from the hyperbole and brush up on the cultural and historical aspects of the game you'd have a fascinating football forum.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,056 ✭✭✭applehunter

What more do you expect from the sham that is RTE.

Ozil goes missing, Khedera poor player...............for ****s sake.

TOTAL ****ING ****E!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:mad:

I felt embarrassed for Hammann to listen to that. Fair play to Brady for pointing out the truths.

Lee Dixon is by the far the best of the BBC regulars (Shearer, Lawro, Hansen). They usually try to gang up on him and highlight any mistakes he makes. The old boys club dont take to him because he actaully analysis rather then give comment and opinion.

Dixon is pretty poor but best of a bad bunch tbh.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

Dunphy does his absolute best to appeal to the lowest common denominator.

He talks about England and he imagines Irish folk at home are glowing with joy whilst listening to his nonsense.

yep, knockin england for the sake of knockin england....its gettin a bit boring now..and we've gone beyond that as a society at this stage haven't we?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,351 ✭✭✭Orando Broom

fryup wrote: »
    yep, knockin england for the sake of knockin england....its gettin a bit boring now..and we've gone beyond that as a society at this stage haven't we?

Do not watch Sky Sports News for the next few weeks! Jaysus!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

Dixon is pretty poor but best of a bad bunch tbh.

i think we are all agreed, the standards of pundits are just appalling across the board.

no wonder people love gary neville, he is just a breath of fresh air compared to the others.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,416 ✭✭✭Jimmy Iovine

Listening to Ronnie last night reminded me of this Apres Match sketch. Ronnie makes an appearance at the very end of the video.

He just loves saying Bastian Schweeeeeeiiiiiinsteiger.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,763 ✭✭✭Jax Teller

I enjoyed this this morning
    47653fbe.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭wonga77

Who's article was that?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,763 ✭✭✭Jax Teller

wonga77 wrote: »
    Who's article was that?

John Reade i think from the English Mirror. Haven't a clue who he is tbh

• Registered Users Posts: 4,630 ✭✭✭steelcityblues

Gilesy has taken a liking to 'rice'.

Oh Ger Canning won't be doing any more commentary I don't think. He was back in Portlaoise today commenting on the Kilkenny match. He had trouble getting used to all the Irish names after 2 weeks saying Greek/German/French names. He called two players totally different names altogether.

Won't miss him. The only half positive thing that I remember of his stint was how he used to call a good cross into the box "a delicious cross". Not a fantastic cross, or even a world class one, but a delicious cross.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,465 ✭✭✭kitakyushu

Gilesy has taken a liking to 'rice'.

He's a big fan of Muller Rice. No doubt he'll get an endorsement deal after the finals.

Dunphy loves Casilias. And why not? Great lad, always tracking back to defend the Spanish penalty area..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Oh Ger Canning won't be doing any more commentary I don't think. He was back in Portlaoise today commenting on the Kilkenny match. He had trouble getting used to all the Irish names after 2 weeks saying Greek/German/French names. He called two players totally different names altogether.

Won't miss him. The only half positive thing that I remember of his stint was how he used to call a good cross into the box "a delicious cross". Not a fantastic cross, or even a world class one, but a delicious cross.

TBF to Ger watching a one sided game like that would put anyone to sleep.

Might as well give Kilkenny the trophy now

• Closed Accounts Posts: 960 ✭✭✭Crackle

Dunphy worried about Spain missing Puyol. I'm pretty sure he's described him as a "headbanger" in the past, whatever the hell that's supposed to mean.

Have RTE got the France formation wrong? They're saying it's 4-2-3-1 with Debuchy at RM, but to me it looks like France are playing 5 at the back?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,256 ✭✭✭closeline

Giles just said Ray-Mos FFS.

Crackle wrote: »
    Dunphy worried about Spain missing Puyol. I'm pretty sure he's described him as a "headbanger" in the past, whatever the hell that's supposed to mean.

According to Urban Dictionary a 'headbanger' is:

"When you take a penis and slap it against your forehead"

Like when your friend walks into class with a COCKS University of South Carolina hat on, and you say, you got cocks on your forehead, know what that means..... You're a HEAD BANGER

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,890 ✭✭✭✭klose

I think people getting annoyed over their pronunciations of players names is a bit ott

TBF to Ger watching a one sided game like that would put anyone to sleep.

Might as well give Kilkenny the trophy now

Well being a Kilkenny man I can't say I was ever going to fall asleep. Dublin were rubbish though as much as Kilkenny were good.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,630 ✭✭✭steelcityblues

I think people getting annoyed over their pronunciations of players names is a bit ott

Ramos is not exactly the most difficult one to master.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭Dempsey

Good analysis to show how you do get to Spain imo

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,256 ✭✭✭closeline

Why cant they just say it right. Brady just pronounced Cabaye as Cab-i-ay instead of Cab-i. They should have it right like.

• Advertisement
Advertisement