Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Euro 2012 RTE Panel Watch

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

Roy Keane has been a breath of fresh air on ITV in my opinion (although he has split a lot of opinion with his comments on Ireland). Pity Chiles spoils their coverage by being an absolute idiot.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,591 ✭✭✭ambid

closeline wrote: »
    Giles just said Ray-Mos FFS.

In fairness, Giles did live and work in the US where Ray-Mos would be a common pronunciation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,465 ✭✭✭kitakyushu

Haha they're using clips from a Bordeaux/Lyon CL QF from over two years ago for Lloris.

RTE can't ever be accused of getting good value for their money out of their archive.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,998 ✭✭✭grohlisagod

I love how far back they had to go for a clip of Lloris struggling. Chamakh was playing for Bordeaux for goodness' sake.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,906 ✭✭✭SarahBM

Hamilton just spent like 5 mins saying names there,as spain were passing the ball about and pronouncing them all correctly.
    Its funny to hear Canning and Kerr doing it. I miss Brian :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,126 ✭✭✭Psychedelic

"Time after time" or "time and time again"

They all love using that phrase. Kenny Cunningham is ridiculous for it, says the latter every time he's on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,431 ✭✭✭Felexicon

Ray Houghton can fcuk right off. You'd swear he never played football with some of the comments he makes.

He's as bad as Ronnie "Negatron" Whelan

• Registered Users Posts: 4,906 ✭✭✭SarahBM

Felexicon wrote: »
    Ray Houghton can fcuk right off. You'd swear he never played football with some of the comments he makes.

ya, but at least Ronnie actually knows what he is talking about. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭Dempsey

Houghton & Whelan are interchangeable for the negativity and captain hindsight approach to analysing football.

• Advertisement

The vibe in the studio is a bit sedate after that game.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 684 ✭✭✭CL7

Always room for a Ronaldo dig even when he's not playing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

It wasn't a dig. It was a stated fact that he covers less ground than Xavi and therefore is fresher with the same amount of games played.

Jaysus you cr7 lads are priceless. Seeing imaginary slights now. We don't even need real ones. :p

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭desaparecidos

Spunk

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

I was thinking the same about Houghton especially for the Fabrigas peno incident. The defender slightly clipped his leg, knocked him off his stride and he clipped his legs together because of it. Houghton said he made a meal if it. Its absolutely baffling that somebody that has played so many games couldn't see that. Anybody who's played any sort of football could tell you of things like that happening when playing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 684 ✭✭✭CL7

Kirby wrote: »
    It wasn't a dig. It was a stated fact that he covers less ground than Xavi and therefore is fresher with the same amount of games played.

Jaysus you cr7 lads are priceless. Seeing imaginary slights now. We don't even need real ones. :p

No I was talking about Dunphy's reaction. I didn't get my username from Ronaldo. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,416 ✭✭✭Jimmy Iovine

"Well I don't really understand those things, Darragh"

- Liam mustn't have been paying any attention in school when humidity and temperature were explained.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭tdv123

"People might remember Pele going around that keeper in the 1970 World Cup"

Hmmm, didn't know Lloris played in the 1970 World cup. Thanks Eamon.

Ha Roy Keane just said on ITV that "Germany v Spain is the final we're all hoping for." He may be a bit of a dope but he's some man for going against the grain. Big contrast to the usual nonsense that some of the pundits come out with about England.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Liam really hate those social media polls.

tdv123 wrote: »

RTE have already showed a Lloris mistake from from over 2 years ago tonight. They're really digging deep to criticise his performance for Uruguay in 1970.

==

BTW, someone should ask Eamon for his definition of metaphysics.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

I wouldn't take it as a sleight really, but it is a silly comparison, they require different levels of fitness and different types of fitness, Ronaldos game is based around short sharp explisive bursts of pace, Xavi will jog around the pitch for the majority of the game, he will not have to sprint that often really.

Pointless comparison rather then a sleight in my eyes anyway.

Ronnie is also fitter in general then Xavi ( I would wager) and they are not even in the same age group making the comparison even more redundant. You could compare Xavi to Schwein, to Modric, to Cabaye even, but in terms of work rate/ ground covered and all that Ronaldo is in no way a comparable player.

Ah now thats just really being a pedant!

Im sure everybody knew what Dunphy meant there, it was pretty clear in fairness :)

Do you remember the day Cantona chipped that keeper and turned around with his boss celebration?

kryogen wrote: »
    Do you remember the day Cantona chipped that keeper and turned around with his boss celebration?

Lloris let that one in too? FFS! I thought he was a good keeper up til now. :)

He isn't doing bad for his age though :)

Was only a youngfella in 1970 and has matured well

• Registered Users Posts: 4,630 ✭✭✭steelcityblues

Ha Roy Keane just said on ITV that "Germany v Spain is the final we're all hoping for." He may be a bit of a dope but he's some man for going against the grain. Big contrast to the usual nonsense that some of the pundits come out with about England.

He's a bit of dope for having Spain ahead of Portugal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,890 ✭✭✭✭klose

Ramos is not exactly the most difficult one to master.
    closeline wrote: »
    Why cant they just say it right. Brady just pronounced Cabaye as Cab-i-ay instead of Cab-i. They should have it right like.

Dosent bother me atall but thats just me, I doubt they give a ****e really how they pronounce it!

Missed pretty much all analysis tonight, looking forward to dunphy tomorow he has such beef with england it seems.

Explain?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,762 ✭✭✭jive

Xavi covers 11.3km average, Ronaldo 10.5km. Is that extra 0.8 km going to make any noticeable difference? Nope. It's just the RTE pundits talking out their arse as usual. Not to mention the fact that Ronaldo would be covering many of those meters at a much higher intensity than Xavi. If anything I'd say Ronaldo expends more energy than Xavi over 90 minutes, either way the point they were making is invalid as the difference would be negligible.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,630 ✭✭✭steelcityblues

Dempsey wrote: »
    Explain?

Portugal are the only ones to rival Germany for best football of the tournament, Probably the best performance of the Euros against Holland. Finally, they have the biggest star name too.

Meanwhile, reading here and several other forums, so many people seemed to have had enough of Spain. I think Roy has got this one wrong.

Portugal are the only ones to rival Germany for best football of the tournament, Probably the best performance of the Euros against Holland. Finally, they have the biggest star name too.

Meanwhile, reading here and several other forums, so many people seemed to have had enough of Spain. I think Roy has got this one wrong.

If Spain fail to beat Portugal, it will be down to fatigue imo, Portugal have shown that they can be very good but also bad too, they have only played one team of note and failed to beat them.

I fear for them because Bento is a negative coach as it is, you cannot allow Spain to just come at you wave after wave and hope to hit them on a counter, Croatia showed that this Spanish team can be got at, Italy showed that defensive discipline can be effective against them, but Italy have a great defence, and even then Spain scored :)

Honestly, the biggest problem Spain have at the moment is going to be faitgue from little rotation and being in the tougher side of the draw, Portugal will be the under dogs against Spain and rightly so.

They could pull it off, but they will need to be very good in defence, Bruno is an accident waiting to happen against quick footed players, likewise Pedro tbh, I don't rate Contrao defensively particularly and Perreira seems like a nutter :) Doesnt fill me with hope for them from a defensive point of view, Veloso though performing ok, is not performing any better then that, Moutinho is not great defensively and is is not Raul M's strong point either.

They have no forward to trouble the Spanish backline and will be relying on something magic from Ronaldo or Nani to win the game.

Spain are deserved favourites whatever way you look at it, I think the Germans could beat them, but wouldn't be so sure about Portugal doing it.

• Advertisement

Spain will play without a striker and Portugal will play with a striker not worth talking about.

Portugal can get at Spain like Italy and Croatia did. He has a solid back like, workhorse midfield and 2 very tricky wingers. Bento just needs to be brave and bold with his centre forward choice. I dont think he will and thats why i'll back Spain at this moment in time.

Spain will play without a striker and Portugal will play with a striker not worth talking about.

Portugal can get at Spain like Italy and Croatia did. He has a solid back like, workhorse midfield and 2 very tricky wingers. Bento just needs to be brave and bold with his centre forward choice. I dont think he will and thats why i'll back Spain at this moment in time.

Who would you play there?

Portugal are being over-hyped IMO. Good team no doubt but don't think they'll go all the way. They're not good enough up front, Nani isn't on form and Postiga isn't good enough. Ronaldo has been carrying them in terms of scoring and Boateng managed to do a job on him IMO. I think against better teams Ronaldo will struggle to make as big an impact as he has done in the last few games, they can't keep relying on him to provide the goals. They struggled past Denmark and beat a disgruntled Holland. Can't see them beating Spain at all and don't believe in the fatigue malarky. Look at the squad Spain have, anyone tired could be replaced. Mata had as long a season as any Spanish player and he can't get a game. They didn't exactly over exert themselves in the groups either. Spanish full-backs will be able for Ronaldo in a way that the lesser teams weren't. He won't be kept quiet, he's too good, but he'll be quieter :P I think Torres should start and who am I to question Del Bosque but I think he has it wrong. Suppose if things aren't going well they can change the system by making one sub which isn't a bad option but everyone plays a striker for a reason

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,889 ✭✭✭tolosenc

Honestly, the biggest problem Spain have at the moment is going to be faitgue from little rotation and being in the tougher side of the draw, Portugal will be the under dogs against Spain and rightly so.

Spain's main issue is that they aren't really arsed scoring goals. Can when they want to, but are more concerned with how many passes they can put together.

Against Italy they "dominated" yet once Italy took the lead, they started playing with purpose and had runners in behind the Italian defence, scoring a goal within a few minutes. They then went back to trying to walk it in, and Italy happily took the draw.

Knock outs have to be different though, a draw and a lottery of penalties (after ET) is not something a team as good as Spain would want, as you said, they can raise the level when they need to.

They do seem to be happy to just get 1 goal wins, it will probably bite them in the ass at some stage alright

Who would you play there?

My choice would be Raul Mereiles, easily could link midfield to the wingers better and get more involved in attacks generally giving Nani & Ronaldo more options than they have been getting. Unreal shot too!

Valera through the middle to keep the same midfield?

Quaresma on the left, Ronaldo through the middle? I'm not sure of this because I havent seen much from Quaresma in a while. I know nothing of his form in recent times.

You may or may not agree with what I say but you will have a hard time arguing that Almeida or Oliveira wont get isolated for long spells.

My choice would be Raul Mereiles, easily could link midfield to the wingers better and get more involved in attacks generally giving Nani & Ronaldo more options than they have been getting. Unreal shot too!

Valera through the middle to keep the same midfield?

Quaresma on the left, Ronaldo through the middle? I'm not sure of this because I havent seen much from Quaresma in a while. I know nothing of his form in recent times.

You may or may not agree with what I say but you will have a hard time arguing that Almeida or Oliveira wont get isolated for long spells.

I think Portugal are fcuked when it comes to strikers!

Almeida/Postiga/Oliveira are varying degrees of ****e but I think if he plays Ronnie up front he isolates him and loses his ability to influence the game more.

Cant see Meireles as a centre forward as realistic, besides its Bento :)

It is more then likely going to be a defensive approach, like it normally is, hoping to catch goals on the break by a bit of magic from Ronnie

Last I heard of him he was suspended from playing by Besiktas. That was a few months ago though not sure if the suspension has been lifted or if he's moving club. Fell out with the coach or the president of the club or something along those lines.

I think Portugal are fcuked when it comes to strikers!

Almeida/Postiga/Oliveira are varying degrees of ****e but I think if he plays Ronnie up front he isolates him and loses his ability to influence the game more.

Cant see Meireles as a centre forward as realistic, besides its Bento :)

It is more then likely going to be a defensive approach, like it normally is, hoping to catch goals on the break by a bit of magic from Ronnie

Before the tournament, would you have considered Fabregas as the "CF" for Spain? I know it wont happen but I do believe that he could offer more than their current 1st choice options. That said, you cant really take him out of that midfield. The 3 of them have been very good together up until now and now is not the time for that sort of experiment!

I agree, Ronaldo upfront would be a waste. Keep him on the left, very dangerous there.
    jive wrote: »
    Last I heard of him he was suspended from playing by Besiktas. That was a few months ago though not sure if the suspension has been lifted or if he's moving club. Fell out with the coach or the president of the club or something along those lines.

I heard that but he must have some sort of fitness and form to be in the squad, no? He's hardly there on rep alone.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,881 ✭✭✭TimeToShine

They (Spain) are still the reigning world and european champions, and neither Italy nor Croatia actually managed to beat Spain so that "Croatia and Italy got at them" argument is quite invalid. The fact that a big deal is made of teams who just "get at" Spain shows how good a team they are. They may be boring but they are efficient and thus far have not failed to overcome any obstacles that are ahead of them.

Spain have the worlds best midfield, which will nine times out of ten outclass a hard working midfield. Ronaldo is up against Ramos, a quick RB whos been playing with him for the last few years.

Spain will brush them aside and then Germany will be the real test for them.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭tdv123

Yeah he's a real idiot like that picking the current World & European champions over an other team.

They (Spain) are still the reigning world and european champions, and neither Italy nor Croatia actually managed to beat Spain so that "Croatia and Italy got at them" argument is quite invalid. The fact that a big deal is made of teams who just "get at" Spain shows how good a team they are. They may be boring but they are efficient and thus far have not failed to overcome any obstacles that are ahead of them.

Spain have the worlds best midfield, which will nine times out of ten outclass a hard working midfield. Ronaldo is up against Ramos, a quick RB whos been playing with him for the last few years.

Spain will brush them aside and then Germany will be the real test for them.

To quote myself in the match thread at HT.
    As a spectacle it is boring, not doubt. Largely because France cannot get near the ball and the result looks inevitable. But as a technical exercise, it is near flawless in the way Spain are able to breakdown teams by tiring teams to the point of them making mistakes.

When I say "get at" Spain, I meant they would show alot more than France did, and they will!

Arbeloa played RB all tournament, not Ramos. ;)

I heard that but he must have some sort of fitness and form to be in the squad, no? He's hardly there on rep alone.

Well he was involved in the qualifiers so that would have helped him secure a spot. It's not like that Portugal team is blessed with strength and depth to be fair.

• Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭goodolegill

Yeah he's a real idiot like that picking the current World & European champions over an other team.

i dont exactly think thats the point he was making, people watch football to be entertained and i know its not spain's obligation to entertain as and all they want to do is win football matches. But as a spectacle, they are a deeply frustrating side to enjoy - u know they have the ability to go at teams and have the some of the worlds most creative players but choose instead to choke the life out of games. I have to say that i enjoyed the Greek's 2004 run to victory more than this potential charge as it was firstly an underdog story and although their games were turgid 1-0's at least u knew they were giving everything. This spain side just seem to leave so much in reserve - the best comparsion of this side was best put - its like when Mexico played Portugal in the simpsons which caused a riot. No adventure, get the ball to the edge of the box and pass it backwards - possesion is all well and good but i think the general consensus would be that we would all like the Germany side to win the tournament. And i too will be hoping portugal do a number on Spain because if i team literally kills a game because they think 1-0 is enough, they are no better than the drab side of Greece 2004.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 184 ✭✭windsurfer99ie

If I understand you correctly, you are criticising the English pundits on ITV for making pro-English or vacuous statements about England. I understand that point of view, and even as an English supporter, it's one that I sometimes share. However, please understand that the programme that you are criticising is targeted at an essentially English audience, and English people are entitled to support their team (ask the 75% of people in the RTE poll that thought Ireland would beat Spain).

If you are receiving that broadcast via an aerial on your roof or Freesat then you are paying nothing for it (BBC licence payers are paying to send it to you). If you are receiving that broadcast via Sky or UPC then, although you may be charged by Sky or UPC, very little of that money actually gets paid to ITV or BBC. Sky / UPC charge you because they can, not because it costs them (much).

On the other hand, I am an RTE licence payer living in Ireland. As well as paying for my licence, some of my taxes are used to help pay the €300K + salaries of Dunphy et al. For this, I am then expected to endure tribal abuse like this which is clearly in breach of broadcasting regulations.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CtA5EAFUl00

Win or lose, I will enjoy tonights match, but I will enjoy it more and complain less if Dunphy, Maloney et al take the trouble to read the Public Service Broadcast Charter before they go on stage.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭blinding

Neil3030 wrote: »
    Anyone old enough to remember the exact same conversations these lads would have about Cantona?
    I am old enough to remember Dunphy running down Michel Platini. He was going on about Platini in one game and then the game went to extra time and I think Platini scored two goals and France won. Dunphy still had little good to say about Platini.

These guys attack a Big Target to make themselves look important.
    Its a pantomine that can admittedly be funny.

They are old and at deaths door but they are still generally better than the BBC/ITV/SKY ! ! !

"Time to move on. Here's your chance to win a car"

- Bill is brilliant at building up the excitement for a competition :D.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭desaparecidos

He's a headbanger, there Bill

• Registered Users Posts: 731 ✭✭✭peterswellman

"You have no theory"- Giles to Dunphy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

metaphysics?

I don't even know what that means, I'm just here for the football

• Advertisement
Advertisement