Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Euro 2012 RTE Panel Watch

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,630 ✭✭✭steelcityblues

Dunphy with the 'England are screwed' schtick. Hope he will be feeling 'humble' in a few hours time.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,906 ✭✭✭SarahBM

again with the headbangers :)
    and apparently Italy are playing in Blue - thanks for pointing that out George, being the "average small guy at home" I would never have got that my self, so thanks for explaining!

sidebar : Canning was relegated to Radio 1 for the Hurling today and Darragh did the Telly commentary :) perhaps RTE are finally seeing the light!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭tdv123

Dunphy with the 'England are screwed' schtick. Hope he will be feeling 'humble' in a few hours time.

Yeah, hit him, hit him till he says he loves England & he thinks they'll win.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

If I understand you correctly, you are criticising the English pundits on ITV for making pro-English or vacuous statements about England. I understand that point of view, and even as an English supporter, it's one that I sometimes share. However, please understand that the programme that you are criticising is targeted at an essentially English audience, and English people are entitled to support their team (ask the 75% of people in the RTE poll that thought Ireland would beat Spain).

If you are receiving that broadcast via an aerial on your roof or Freesat then you are paying nothing for it (BBC licence payers are paying to send it to you). If you are receiving that broadcast via Sky or UPC then, although you may be charged by Sky or UPC, very little of that money actually gets paid to ITV or BBC. Sky / UPC charge you because they can, not because it costs them (much).

On the other hand, I am an RTE licence payer living in Ireland. As well as paying for my licence, some of my taxes are used to help pay the €300K + salaries of Dunphy et al. For this, I am then expected to endure tribal abuse like this which is clearly in breach of broadcasting regulations.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CtA5EAFUl00

Win or lose, I will enjoy tonights match, but I will enjoy it more and complain less if Dunphy, Maloney et al take the trouble to read the Public Service Broadcast Charter before they go on stage.

No you're not. Feel free to change over. This 'RTE anti England agenda' agenda of yours is quite tiresome.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭tdv123

i dont exactly think thats the point he was making, people watch football to be entertained and i know its not spain's obligation to entertain as and all they want to do is win football matches. But as a spectacle, they are a deeply frustrating side to enjoy - u know they have the ability to go at teams and have the some of the worlds most creative players but choose instead to choke the life out of games. I have to say that i enjoyed the Greek's 2004 run to victory more than this potential charge as it was firstly an underdog story and although their games were turgid 1-0's at least u knew they were giving everything. This spain side just seem to leave so much in reserve - the best comparsion of this side was best put - its like when Mexico played Portugal in the simpsons which caused a riot. No adventure, get the ball to the edge of the box and pass it backwards - possesion is all well and good but i think the general consensus would be that we would all like the Germany side to win the tournament. And i too will be hoping portugal do a number on Spain because if i team literally kills a game because they think 1-0 is enough, they are no better than the drab side of Greece 2004.

Yeah I'm sure Spain will change there style to suit you all the other Match of The Day fanboys.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,116 ✭✭✭Professional Griefer

Lads taking ****e again. :P

Bit shocked that they aren't talking about Roy tbh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭wonga77

Brady giving out about Hart trying to put Pirlo off, really the stuff they come out with sometimes...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭desaparecidos

wonga77 wrote: »
    Brady giving out about Hart trying to put Pirlo off, really the stuff they come out with sometimes...

He was making stupid faces.

Glad to see he was made a fool of in the end.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,881 ✭✭✭TimeToShine

He wasn't really giving out to be fair, just pointing out that childish antics can bite you in the ass, especially with a player of Pirlo's calibre.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

In fairness Hart has a history of doing it. He got booked in the under 21 Euro's semi final during the penalty shoot out for it, and missed the final because of it.

• Advertisement

every goalkeeper tries to put the penalty taker off, Dudek and the bendy knees, Neuer smacking the crossbar before every penalty come to mind. I would be surprised if a few stupid faces would put any player off tbh

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

Did Dunphy blow his load after the match tonight?

Did he have a smugger face then Joe Hart does? (or did)

• Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭goodolegill

tdv123 wrote: »
    Yeah I'm sure Spain will change there style to suit you all the other Match of The Day fanboys.

Im sorry old boy, i use old boy because clearly your my intellectual superior - so because i like to have a game full of incident rather than a sanitised passing competition it makes me a fanboy. The original question was asked who they would prefer out of Spain and Portugal in the final & the correspondant said portugal for excitement and i ellaborated on the reasons why Spain arent universally adored. As you being an irish fan, i dont recall you being morally outraged by the style of play that was played but have the right to mock others who deem the worst game in the tournament for not as a work of art. And as i said in my orginal post, its not spains obligation to entertain but football is an entertainment business and i think for that reason, Spains opponents will be the neutrals team

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,925 ✭✭✭aidan24326

Was a bit surprised Brady gave out about that. I think it's perfectly acceptable for the keeper to do that. Jerzy Dudek arguably won the CL Final for Liverpool by putting the Milan players off. And fair play to Pirlo for coming up with the perfect riposte.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,909 ✭✭✭Neeson

I must upload a montage of all the best panel bits soon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,416 ✭✭✭Jimmy Iovine

"I seen him when he came on Germany"

- Ray's butchering of the English language led to a rather embarrassing admission about Varela.

John - I thought Ronaldo was terrible

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭desaparecidos

What is a head banger?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭Dempsey

Cooool Baby!

• Advertisement

Cooool Baby!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,473 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

Dunphy's reaction to Ramos' penalty:
    "It was coooool baby!"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

Do RTE/Barcelona Tv have inside info about Portugals peno taking choices. Trash TV.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,202 ✭✭✭el dude

Oh wow, look at how Spain celebrate, no other country celebrates like them.

Do RTE/Barcelona Tv have inside info about Portugals peno taking choices. Trash TV.

It would be fierce bad on Portugal's and Ronaldo's part for him not to be taking a penalty. For one of your strongest peno takers to go 5th when you dont have a strong 5, is schoolboy stuff tbh

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,508 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Crinklewood

They'll be blaming Ronaldo for someone ****ing up in the final.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭Kerrydude1981

The balls up before Nani's pen was probably Ronaldos fault as well :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,416 ✭✭✭Jimmy Iovine

What are you on about?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,465 ✭✭✭kitakyushu

RTE's bias goes 1) ManU 2) the Prem in general 3) Barca.

• Registered Users Posts: 284 ✭✭Joyce Country

Everything Dunphy said tonight was spot on, particulary re ronaldo being a bottler

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,507 ✭✭✭✭castletownman

Ray Houghton should stick to living off his goal against England in Stuttgart and recording ads for Harvey Norman because his commentary is brutal. He's so negative about players that it's becoming painful at this stage.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,465 ✭✭✭kitakyushu

Ray Houghton should stick to living off his goal against England in Stuttgart and recording ads for Harvey Norman because his commentary is brutal. He's so negative about players that it's becoming painful at this stage.

I don't listen to the guy anymore. I imagine he probably pointed out that Alves should have scored his peno? That's right Ray, he should have.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

What are you on about?

The seemed to know who decides pick which number the penos where taking. They were of the firm belief that Ronaldo picked the peno takers and the order.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,507 ✭✭✭✭castletownman

kitakyushu wrote: »
    I don't listen to the guy anymore. I imagine he probably pointed out that Alves should have scored his peno? That's right Ray, he should have.

Himself and George hadn't a clue why Busquets was booked. They thought it was because he might have said something to the referee, even though a blind man could see it was for waving an imaginary card.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

Are people actually bringing RTE up on criticising Ronaldo for not taking a penalty? Absolutely ridiculous he wasn't one of the first up there taking one. Only he or Bento knows why he didn't but he should have.

• Registered Users Posts: 579 ✭✭✭Kilkenny14

Neeson wrote: »
    I must upload a montage of all the best panel bits soon.

Please do!

As for Dunphy and Portugal - it will never change. Ever.

Giles - "Ross, Reece, Royce, Rice"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,255 ✭✭✭Renn

Betting to win money, Liam? Well I never!

Eamon slapping Liam before they crossover to commentary!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

Theres a bit of a Chelsea feel to Italy so far . . Blessed with a few hairy moments ! !

Its either going to be a long night for Italy or tragedy for Germany . . Dont want to see pics of Merkel celebrating again, hope the Italians put them back in their place . .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,827 ✭✭✭fred funk }{

I heard Johnny Giles one night on newstalk. He was talking about Balotelli, He said "his suspect is temperamental". Gave me a good laugh.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,555 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Drumpot wrote: »
    Theres a bit of a Chelsea feel to Italy so far . . Blessed with a few hairy moments ! !

Its either going to be a long night for Italy or tragedy for Germany . . Dont want to see pics of Merkel celebrating again, hope the Italians put them back in their place . .

If Italy win this tournament there'll be a betting/matchfixing scandal there every 2 years.

Jeez i just cannot stand the sound of Houghtons voice, everything he says annoys me

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,904 ✭✭✭Polar101

I wish they'd decide on one way of pronouncing German, Spanish and Italian names and then stick with it.. now each of those teams seems to have 50-60 different players.

Even if it was Ray Moss (of Spain).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,256 ✭✭✭closeline

Why does Houghton get the big games always? He is a joke. Very bad for talking in hindsight.

Does Hamilton actually think Neuer was clapping at Balotellis goal? What a clown

Polar101 wrote: »
    I wish they'd decide on one way of pronouncing German, Spanish and Italian names and then stick with it.. now each of those teams seems to have 50-60 different players.

Even if it was Ray Moss (of Spain).

At least we don't have to listen to Kerr anymore

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

This is killing them , having to awknowledge Balotelli . . You'd swear he was Ronaldo . .

Vialli said somthing on BBC that I thought was easy to forget. he said they are very tough on Balotelli in Italy but they have to remember hes just a kid at 21! Mad stuff .

Drumpot wrote: »
    This is killing them , having to awknowledge Balotelli . . You'd swear he was Ronaldo . .

Vialli said somthing on BBC that I thought was easy to forget. he said they are very tough on Balotelli in Italy but they have to remember hes just a kid at 21! Mad stuff .

21? He's a grown man. No excuses.

Liam Brady its.montilivo, not montilivio. They are such clowns. Is Pirlo playing that good? If he was playing poor they would still say he is running the show.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

closeline wrote: »
    Does Hamilton actually think Neuer was clapping at Balotellis goal? What a clown

That's because he was. Keepers do it all the time. It's an acknowledgementsthat the strike was unsavable. It wasn't a sarcastic clap at his defenders. Do you not watch football?

Advertisement