Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Euro 2012 RTE Panel Watch

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,555 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Ive seen the same ****e for the past few years. Its tiresome and lazy but its what I expect from that panel. Standard for them

Well you can enjoy your Shearer and Hansen then.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,772 ✭✭✭✭Paul Tergat

murpho999 wrote: »
    Well you can enjoy your Shearer and Hansen then.

Im not saying they are any better!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,787 ✭✭✭Jayob10

Seaneh wrote: »
    The best part of the pre-game was Brady saying Abate was an "out and out defender, very strong but not great going forward and has questionable distribution".

He is a winger come fullback who is lightening quick and very good with the ball at feet.

If anything, he is better going forward than defensively.

ya can't beat a bit of spoofing. Ya know when you are in someones company and they have a general interest in football and you can spout boll*x to sound more knowledgable, safe in the knowledge they will take your word for it.

Thats a bit like what Brady has been trying to do all tournament.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,465 ✭✭✭kitakyushu

Silva = offside

Houghton : "He shouldn't have been offside."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,524 ✭✭✭joe123

kitakyushu wrote: »
    Silva = offside

Houghton : "He shouldn't have been offside."

Well he shouldnt of been, he was in a position where he was looking right across the line!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

delete, wrong thread.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

Ha!! Eamo going on about the Spanish players not singing the Spanish anthem as a sign of unity between the Spanish and the Basques!!

The Spanish anthem has no lyrics, baby!!!

I always enjoy RTE but Dunphy's comments about Spanish team agreeing not to sing along to their wordless National Anthem is embarrassing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Did Dunphy query why Spanish players were not singing along to the anthem?

Edit: OK, glad I wasn't the only one that spotted that. :)

• Advertisement

Did Dunphy query why Spanish players were not singing along to the anthem?

No he just said it was a sign of unity between the Spanish and Catalan players as they have agreed not to sing it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 634 ✭✭✭Sean7

monkey9 wrote: »
    The Spanish anthem has no lyrics, baby!!!

Eamon never ceases to surprise me.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,998 ✭✭✭grohlisagod

Maths fail. 8 years, no it's 6 years Bill. 2008-2012 is 4 years guys!

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭rmchmufc

On the anthem slip up by Dunphy, George Hamilton said it on a couple of occassions throughout the tournament before it was played that it has no words so I don't know how Dunphy could not possibly know that. Unless he pays no attention to anything Hamilton says.

rmchmufc wrote: »
    On the anthem slip up by Dunphy, George Hamilton said it on a couple of occassions throughout the tournament before it was played that it has no words so I don't know how Dunphy could not possibly know that. Unless he pays no attention to anything Hamilton says.

He watches the matches on BBC.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

John Giles wants us to play a 4-2-5 formation :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,229 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

Crap closing video package. I suppose RTE will never top the 2002 World Cup one...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,324 ✭✭✭Cork boy 55

They cut away from the fireworks :mad::mad::mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭wonga77

J. Marston wrote: »
    Crap closing video package. I suppose RTE will never top the 2002 World Cup one...

The 2006 one was pretty good too

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,416 ✭✭✭Jimmy Iovine

J. Marston wrote: »

They made up for it with the Apres Match sketch. Definitely one of their best ever imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

has Brady got relatives Spain?
    they guy is in love with them

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,949 ✭✭✭A Primal Nut

Have any of them admitted they were wrong about Spain's defense?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭delw

Dunphy on Torres goal
    "Doesn't need a touch,then just one touch" :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

I seen The dinosaur Giles being asked if Spain were the greatest of all time. He just couldn't hack that evolution has hit him. I hate Spain and the Barcelona players but its clear that they are the finest of all time. Giles just can't hack that today is better than the pub football served in his day.

This thread has 90+ pages of RTE inaccuracies . These people should be sacked

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,191 ✭✭✭BKC

I'd say a decent amount of the posts were people having a laugh at the lads and being entertained.

Keep them.

I seen The dinosaur Giles being asked if Spain were the greatest of all time. He just couldn't hack that evolution has hit him. I hate Spain and the Barcelona players but its clear that they are the finest of all time. Giles just can't hack that today is better than the pub football served in his day.

What a bitter post....you sound like a real nice guy.

You hate Giles, whole Spain team, Barcelona team and football from the 1960's and 1970's.

Also, from what I saw, he said that it's impossible to compare them to past teams, you can only be the best of your era and Spain are certainly that. He wasn't bitter at all.

BKC wrote: »

I'd say a decent amount of the posts were people having a laugh at the lads and being entertained.

Keep them.

Exactly, having a laugh "At the lads". People are laughing at the dinosaurs

Better than the simpletons over on BBC. Alan Shearer needs a calculator to count past 10.

Better than the simpletons over on BBC. Alan Shearer needs a calculator to count past 10.
    That sounds like a comment sanctioned by the RTE propaganda machine

Right

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,909 ✭✭✭Neeson

No, it's a statement by people who love the game, are passionate about the game. The real fans. The people at grassroots level who go out and support their team and I'm not gonna sit here and listen to you spouting that kinda rubbish.

(throws pen)

• Advertisement

The pub football in his day! What, like the Brazil 1970 side??

Evolution has hit Johnny Giles, has it?? So you completely disregard, oh i don't know, say Real Madrid's early European Cup heroics, do you??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

Ive no doubt it was more of the same bollocks from Dunphy. All he does is make things up and lies

Do you know the funniest thing about Dunphy? Now and then, when he actually wants to he sizes a situation up and analyses it perfectly!

Tries to hard to be controversial alright, but when you cut through it all he is well able to articulate a point perfectly well and be 100% right, its a shame that its few and far between.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,342 ✭✭✭Ardent

What a bitter post....you sound like a real nice guy.

You hate Giles, whole Spain team, Barcelona team and football from the 1960's and 1970's.

Also, from what I saw, he said that it's impossible to compare them to past teams, you can only be the best of your era and Spain are certainly that. He wasn't bitter at all.

The stuff Giles comes out with is just cringe-inducing, has been for years. He should have been put out to pasture a long time ago.

After Holland lost their second game and looked to be exiting the tournament, Giles was asked what had happened to the team that only 2 years ago had been world cup finalists. He started to talk about the difference in managerial styles before Darragh interrupted him to say it was the same manager from the world cup. His reply: 'oh really? I'm surprised to hear that.'

I don't know how you guys watch these tired old hacks.

Ardent wrote: »
    The stuff Giles comes out with is just cringe-inducing, has been for years. He should have been put out to pasture a long time ago.

After Holland lost their second game and looked to be exiting the tournament, Giles was asked what had happened to the team that only 2 years ago had been world cup finalists. He started to talk about the difference in managerial styles before Darragh interrupted him to say it was the same manager from the world cup. His reply: 'oh really? I'm surprised to hear that.'

I don't know how you guys watch these tired old hacks.

BECAUSE IT'S FUNNY AND ENTERTAINING!!!!!!!!!! It really really isn't rocket science as to why the RTE panel are so popular!!

kryogen wrote: »
    Do you know the funniest thing about Dunphy? Now and then, when he actually wants to he sizes a situation up and analyses it perfectly!

Tries to hard to be controversial alright, but when you cut through it all he is well able to articulate a point perfectly well and be 100% right, its a shame that its few and far between.

Its so rare though

He doesnt do his research and relies on borderline retarded judgement. It tilts me when they refer to him as their Spanish expert.

My major gripe with them all, and Dunphy in particular, is that they make their mind up and dont budge when they are usually just wrong in the first place.

It really is an Irish thing I think (liking this panel) and I guess if it works for you guys then they have their ratings and so it 'works'.

edit: oh, and the whole well watch BBC thing instead is no argument. Just because that is also **** doesnt mean that the RTE lads shouldn't get their deserved criticism.

I don't watch on Rte if I can help it, I have enjoyed Martinez, Keane and co on ITV actually when available.

kryogen wrote: »
    I don't watch on Rte if I can help it, I have enjoyed Martinez, Keane and co on ITV actually when available.

Across the BBC and ITV its been the non-English pundits who have been very good. Probably RTE too with Didi

Its so rare though

He doesnt do his research and relies on borderline retarded judgement. It tilts me when they refer to him as their Spanish expert.

My major gripe with them all, and Dunphy in particular, is that they make their mind up and dont budge when they are usually just wrong in the first place.

It really is an Irish thing I think (liking this panel) and I guess if it works for you guys then they have their ratings and so it 'works'.

edit: oh, and the whole well watch BBC thing instead is no argument. Just because that is also **** doesnt mean that the RTE lads shouldn't get their deserved criticism.

Of course it's an Irish thing liking them as they are on Irish TV and not seen by any other audience.

Yes, they might get the odd fact right but their heart is in the right place. I don't see any other amazing research on other channels.

Research is not what makes them good analysts.

Across the BBC and ITV its been the non-English pundits who have been very good. Probably RTE too with Didi

Haven't seen anything from the BBC (would not be able to bring myself to listen to them)

Didi has been good any time I have seen him on Rte alright, I would say that Carragher was alright on ITV I thought for the most part, besides the accent naturally. Southgate was quite good but boring in how he made his points I think. He was a little too happy to let Keane and Martinez take most of the conversation, Martinez in particular is some man to talk :)

• Advertisement

Of course it's an Irish thing liking them as they are on Irish TV and not seen by any other audience.

Yes, they might get the odd fact right but their heart is in the right place. I don't see any other amazing research on other channels.

Research is not what makes them good analysts.

True, its very rare though :pac:

Nothing about them makes them good analysts tbh. I dont think its too much to ask to have these 'experts' do some research before they come on so they can have a proper discussion without resorting to cliches and ill judged opinions.

Again, just because other channels are also **** doesnt mean the lads should be exempt from rightful criticism. However, you guys like em and they will be here to stay.

Its so rare though

You're probably not getting the joke so!

When it comes to analysis, i listen to podcasts. TV provides nothing of the sort. Why this seems to be a debate says more about the viewers than the pundits.

I know exactly what i'm getting myself into when i tune into RTE. If anyone sits there thinking Eamon Dunphy is an expert on football,well then they are a fool!

I'll be gutted when this circus eventually leaves town!

monkey9 wrote: »
    You're probably not getting the joke so!

When it comes to analysis, i listen to podcasts. TV provides nothing of the sort. Why this seems to be a debate says more about the viewers than the pundits.

I know exactly what i'm getting myself into when i tune into RTE. If anyone sits there thinking Eamon Dunphy is an expert on football,well then they are a fool!

I'll be gutted when this circus eventually leaves town!

Just because TV doesnt give analysis doesnt mean it shouldnt. There's no reason why they cant get people on who at least put some effort in. Sadlier for example on RTE (havent seen him during the euros but seen him a good lot beforehand) is miles ahead of those 3.

Its just tilting listening to those lads say the same stuff, refuse to adapt to whats going on. They are paid enough to warrant some research imo but like you say people want entertainment and this works for em

Just because TV doesnt give analysis doesnt mean it shouldnt. There's no reason why they cant get people on who at least put some effort in. Sadlier for example on RTE (havent seen him during the euros but seen him a good lot beforehand) is miles ahead of those 3.

Its just tilting listening to those lads say the same stuff, refuse to adapt to whats going on. They are paid enough to warrant some research imo but like you say people want entertainment and this works for em

I love listening to the like of Sadlier, Hamann and especially Cunningham who is an excellent pundit.

But why people give out about the RTE panel is beyond me. They are great craic to listen to and you know what you're getting into when you tune in.

Why people give out about them is ridiculous!

• Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭D1976

Eamo was great last night talking about how united the Spanish team are the Catalans,Basques and Spanish all on the one team and that's why they didn't sing the national anthem out of respect for each together.

Wrong, there are no words to the Spanish national anthem you muppet

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,662 ✭✭✭Luckycharms_74

Maths fail. 8 years, no it's 6 years Bill. 2008-2012 is 4 years guys!

I lol'd when he said that as well. These guys seems to pull random sh1t from the air as part of their so called "Analysis". At one point Brady was on about the lack of physical presence in the spanish team. He mentioned the height of the following players.

"Jordi Alba the left back, he is 5'4" Bill". Actual height 5'7"
    "Fàbregas, Inieasta & Xavi are around 5'6", 5'7" or 5'8 Bill". Fàbregas is 5'10 1/2"

If they are going to talk about something at least have the correct information. If you don't know just say nothing :mad:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

D1976 wrote: »
    Eamo was great last night talking about how united the Spanish team are the Catalans,Basques and Spanish all on the one team and that's why they didn't sing the national anthem out of respect for each together.

Wrong, there are no words to the Spanish national anthem you muppet

well thats the reason there are no words..because of the different cultural/language regions in spain, thats what he meant

• Registered Users Posts: 4,630 ✭✭✭steelcityblues

Overall, I think the comparisons to the British channels, as somehow making RTE's coverage 'great' is not the point.

A lot of people have loved to point fingers at BBC/ITV talking too much about England. So what did RTE end up doing with Ireland this year? That's right, devote most of the pre-match to talking about the 'fascinating' daily news from the Irish camp, and with just over 5 mins to go to kick off, throw in a bit about Sweden and Ukraine, or whoever was about to play. Not exactly any different from the much criticised British channels.

Plus, nearly ever player who had a good tournament was described as a 'headbanger', or 'not a team player'. Great way to pick em, lads. Why do a bit of researched and considered analysis, when 'controversy' and 'straight talking' is so cool with the TV watching crowd?

Also, why bother giving a few younger reporters a try at the mic when you can apparently rely on the 'versatile' Peter Collins and Ger Canning?

Sorry, but I don't think RTE are all that 'great'.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 504 ✭✭✭Vex Willems

A lot of people have loved to point fingers at BBC/ITV talking too much about England. So what did RTE end up doing with Ireland this year? That's right, devote most of the pre-match to talking about the 'fascinating' daily news from the Irish camp, and with just over 5 mins to go to kick off, throw in a bit about Sweden and Ukraine, or whoever was about to play. Not exactly any different from the much criticised British channels.

What do you expect! Of course they are going to focus on Ireland, they are our national broadcaster after all!

Problem with British channels is not that they focus on England all the time but their general blandness

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,836 ✭✭✭Sir Gallagher

Dunphy.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,704 ✭✭✭G.K.

To be fair to Shearer and Hansen, as much as I complain about them, they did their best analysis I've ever seen last night.

• Advertisement
Advertisement