Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Euro 2012 RTE Panel Watch

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,593 ✭✭✭✭CSF

Downlinz wrote: »
    Houghton made some fool of himself with his comments about Ibra last night. Inconsistent apparently, despite winning a league every year bar the last for what 8 seasons?

The man should stick to taking a hot diarrhoea turd all over his own legacy with those ads for The Star and Harvey Norman.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

I really wish Didi was a regular pundit on RTE. At least get him back for our matches against the Germans in the World Cup qualifiers! He's a great pundit!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,351 ✭✭✭Orando Broom

CSF wrote: »
    The man should stick to taking a hot diarrhoea turd all over his own legacy with those ads for The Star and Harvey Norman.

According to Houghton every conceivable thing that happens in a game is always the result of an error or bad play. If Messi skinned ten defenders it would not be about Messi's brilliance but meek defenders. If the ninth defender crunched Messi, Houghton would say there was no need for him to go in on him. He's a bollix.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 941 ✭✭✭yomtea98

According to Houghton every conceivable thing that happens in a game is always the result of an error or bad play. If Messi skinned ten defenders it would not be about Messi's brilliance but meek defenders. If the ninth defender crunched Messi, Houghton would say there was no need for him to go in on him. He's a bollix.
    Totally agree if a shot is wide he should have passed,a bad pass he should have shot.Useless anylist

• Registered Users Posts: 1,998 ✭✭✭grohlisagod

According to Houghton every conceivable thing that happens in a game is always the result of an error or bad play.

I've noticed this as well. It is quite irritating at times although I prefer it to the opposite.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,250 ✭✭✭✭briany

Mikeyt086 wrote: »
    When asked about Trap's comments ("The players need to find redemption in the next game") Dunphy replied: "I think that's bull****. I think that's self serving bull****."

A far cry from BBC/ITV pundits who are terrified of making someone upset.

Could be some good fodder for Apres Match if they're running low on ideas.

I've noticed this as well. It is quite irritating at times although I prefer it to the opposite.

But it shouldn't be 'top,top' either. there needs to be objectivity. Not everyting is genius but conversely not everything is a mistake. I think he seeks the most simplistic explanation and dispences with the nuances. for an ex-pro it's woeful stuff. He should no better as to how (especially) the greats make their moves.

It's like the Zlatan thing. Just because Zlatan isn't hareing around the place like Kevin Doyle working the channels he is no good. They also cite his removal from Barca as further evidence of his lack of quality. I think at the time of his removal he had scored 20 odd goals. In fact Villa (who is world class according to the panel) scored the same amount in the same time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,465 ✭✭✭kitakyushu

Think he pretty much showed his colours (pun not intended) when he did this.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FP2HR3PZX-M&t=1m00s

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,065 ✭✭✭leonidas83

Don't know how people consider Dunphy even remotely entertaining. There are hundreds of these drunk idiots spouting nonsensical ****e in pubs throughout Ireland if one is that way inclined.

Dunphy was bang on with his comments about Trap there, blaming your own players in a tournament like this after one game when their expected to play an archaic style of football is out of order irrespective of someone's reputation

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,416 ✭✭✭Jimmy Iovine

Brian Kerr is having a stormer here today.

"He has great pace, a good bit of dash about him"

"He gave the keeper the eyes. Looked at one corner and stuck her in the other"

"The lad with the orangey boots"

I think he is good,well better than Ray Houghton anyway

LMFAO, there's only one Brian Kerr:)

Can we have Stephen Alkin removed from commentating on LOI games now please?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,416 ✭✭✭Jimmy Iovine

yomtea98 wrote: »
    I think he is good,well better than Ray Houghton anyway

He is good alright. It's a laugh when he starts off a sentence and then has to rush the end of it because he's running out of breath.

Katsarooooonis!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,255 ✭✭✭Renn

Karaganis :/

That was a bad comment,especially with St.Pats man Kerr beside

He is an irritating little *insert many a word I can't say without getting infracted*

• Subscribers Posts: 16,592 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

Heh, for pointing out that the crowds are small:confused:, is it a big secret?

What did he say?

• Advertisement

copacetic wrote: »
    Heh, for pointing out that the crowds are small:confused:, is it a big secret?

He was having a dig, not making an observation. If the camera zoomed in on an ugly person, would it be grand to point that out as its true?

The man should have a bit of class, especially as he commentates on LOI games for some unknown reason.

What did he say?
    He said the Greek support was as bad as a league of ireland game

Not cool.

What did he say?

He said there weren't many Greek fans there, and you could nearly count them, a bit like an LOI game.

Clearly he should be taken out and shot immediately after the game for daring to launch such a crazy attack on the LOI and all it stands for.

He said there weren't many Greek fans there, and you could nearly count them, a bit like an LOI game.

Clearly he should be taken out and shot immediately after the game for daring to launch such a crazy attack on the LOI and all it stands for.

We get it, you don't like our national league. Good man.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 9,024 Mod ✭✭✭✭mewso

The way I heard it he was referring to something Kerr had said earlier and Kerr corrected him saying he had said "attendance of a bad league of ireland game" but sure if you dislike a commentator it's easier to ignore the reality.

We get it, you don't like our national league. Good man.

Ah grow up, he made a throw away factual comment and you threw the toys out of the pram ffs.

Ah grow up, he made a throw away factual comment and you threw the toys out of the pram ffs.

Its you with the agenda and you seem to be alone in that stance, suggesting you may be the unreasonable one.

mewso wrote: »
    The way I heard it he was referring to something Kerr had said earlier and Kerr corrected him saying he had said "attendance of a bad league of ireland game" but sure if you dislike a commentator it's easier to ignore the reality.
    I don't like Alkin.I just thought for a man who commentates on LOI games it was not the best choice of words to describe the Greek support

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,688 ✭✭✭kerash

Stephen: "You can count the number of Greeks here,its like a League of ireland game" Brian: "A BAD League of Ireland game,Stephen"

Think that's what he said. Anyhow, I've never seen that many Greeks at a LoI game :p

• Advertisement

Epic Alkin quote

'Theres a young man, possibly from Prague or......somewhere else in the Czech Republic'

Epic Alkin quote

'Theres a young man, possibly from Prague or......somewhere else in the Czech Republic'

He's a great one for the geography "Greece have a mountain to climb ... bigger than the Acropolis outside Athens".

(tho by my reckoning the Acropolis isn't a mountain)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,190 ✭✭✭✭IvySlayer

Does Dunphy have a life?

Seems he's at the studio 24/7 :pac:

IvySlayer wrote: »
    Does Dunphy have a life?

Seems he's at the studio 24/7b:pac:

If I was on the money he's on for doing this you wouldnt be able to get me out of the place

IvySlayer wrote: »
    Does Dunphy have a life?

Seems he's at the studio 24/7 :pac:

He has a mini-bar under the desk so he's grand for the long haul.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,154 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

Hero.

His hand :D

Honestly don't know what Dunphy sees on replays. Really struggles with reviewing footage.

"Possibly, you could say, his shoulder" :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,499 ✭✭✭BoardsMember

Kerr is truly awful. He's supposed to see things that regular punters might not notice, pick things out at some sort of technical level to add to the commentary, and add to your enjoyment of the game by maybe helping you see things from a different perspective, or maybe understand at a deeper level. Some of the co-commentators are really good at this.

Admittedly it is a little more challenging to do this during the game, as opposed to at half time/after the game like the analysts do. All Kerr does is state the bleedin' obvious, he comes across to me as pretty thick, and has never said anything interesting or informative that I have heard. Maybe I am being overly harsh, but he just irritates the hell out of me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 288 ✭✭Thefirestarter

Now, I love Bill for all his sayings and winding up the rest of the panel with his quotes,

But,

I do find it very annoying when people spout this "Team X has not beaten Team Y in 40 years, and now Team x look like they are going to break that record today if they continue."

Its not like a league competition, where say Celtic and Rangers meet each other 4 times a season in the league. Greece might not meet the Czechs in another 20 years which means there has been no other game to settle that score.

Rant over:)

How did Didi Hamann end up working for RTE? Not complaining but it's an odd one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 288 ✭✭Thefirestarter

Kerr is truly awful. He's supposed to see things that regular punters might not notice, pick things out at some sort of technical level to add to the commentary, and add to your enjoyment of the game by maybe helping you see things from a different perspective, or maybe understand at a deeper level. Some of the co-commentators are really good at this.

Admittedly it is a little more challenging to do this during the game, as opposed to at half time/after the game like the analysts do. All Kerr does is state the bleedin' obvious, he comes across to me as pretty thick, and has never said anything interesting or informative that I have heard. Maybe I am being overly harsh, but he just irritates the hell out of me.

You would prefer to listen to Roy Houghton? Trevor Stevens?

I dread hearing their names as the co-commentators.

Kerr is light hearted and I think a fine addition, you can watch the smug fest on BBC or ITV aswell.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,992 ✭✭✭Shane732

kitakyushu wrote: »
    How did Didi Hamann end up working for RTE? Not complaining but it's an odd one.

That's why he gave up professional football - to take up a part time contract with RTE!

kitakyushu wrote: »

What about Ossie Ardiles (who couldnt speak or understand English properly) or Graeme Souness (Rangers Legend), there's been far stranger ones tbh. I think he's good, gives a bit of balance to what seems to be very black or white views on this panel

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,191 ✭✭✭BKC

"If you concede a goal when you're one up, you're drawing"

Fantastic insight from Brian Kerr. :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 731 ✭✭✭inmyday

All Kerr does is state the bleedin' obvious, he comes across to me as pretty thick

Yeah, you are a bit harsh there, he doesnt come across thick to me. His accent is quite strong, but I like listening to him. I enjoy reading his column in the irish times too. He does have knowledge of the game.

Also, look at post #387, he is entertaining too, bit of a laugh!

You would prefer to listen to Roy Houghton? Trevor Stevens?

I dread hearing their names as the co-commentators.

Kerr is light hearted and I think a fine addition, you can watch the smug fest on BBC or ITV aswell.

Nice insight from him earlier when some took a mild tap on the unmentionables.
    'get up, count them, play on'

"A right boomer there" from Cech. Classic Kerr.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,787 ✭✭✭Benimar

'Cech got a couple of ball and just milled them up towards Baros..'

Milled is a very technical term you know :D

Benimar wrote: »
    'Cech got a couple of ball and just milled them up towards Baros..'

Milled is a very technical term you know :D

So that's why Kerr gave him his debut!

0004a351-642.jpg

• Advertisement
Advertisement