Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Euro 2012 Group B (Group of death?)

• 08-06-2012 4:33pm
    Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,866 Mod ✭✭✭✭

gun__1336653138_euro2012_group_b.jpg?ic=1cfccbT

Groub B
    Team|Played|W|D|L|GF|GA|Pts

Netherlands||||||||

Denmark||||||||

Germany||||||||

Portugal||||||||

9 June 2012

Netherlands Match 3 Denmark
    Germany Match 4 Portugal

13 June 2012

Denmark Match 11 Portugal
    Netherlands Match 12 Germany

17 June 2012

Portugal Match 19 Netherlands
    Denmark Match 20 Germany

dubbed 2012's group of death, group B will no doubt draw a lot of attension. Im sure many of the games here (Hol vs Ger for sure) will spawn massive threads hopefully commenting on some awesome football but this thread can be the general GrB discussion thread.

So Group B what do you think?

Hard luck Denmark & Ronaldo, Germany & Holland to take the top spots or is that too obvious / simplistic a prediction. A win for Denmark in the first rd of games could really make this group come alive but do the Danes have a real chance here?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

Very hard to predict this group, Denmark are the weakest on paper and their still a good team by all accounts.

1. Germany
    2. Holland
    3. Portugal
    4. Denmark

• Registered Users Posts: 361 ✭✭irishmanmick

I think Denmark are being underestimated. I fancy them to do a number against the Dutch, who are seriously at threat on set pieces, they are all tiny. Germany to win all their games and Denmark to get second. Portugal are the weakest team in the group even tho they have the tournaments best player.

1 Germany
    2 Denmark
    3 Netherlands
    4 Portugal

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,332 ✭✭✭Mr Simpson

For me Germany and Netherlands have to take top two

1. Netherlands
    2. Germany
    3. Portugal
    4. Denmark

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,191 ✭✭✭BKC

I really hope Denmark can get a result against Holland tomorrow.

People are underestimating Denmark -- they did manage to finish ahead of Portugal in their qualifying group.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

BKC wrote: »

People are underestimating Denmark -- they did manage to finish ahead of Portugal in their qualifying group.

Portugal are nothing special!!! I'm taking nothing away from Denmark, but Portugal are ordinary* If anyone breaks up this Dutch German axis of qualification, it'll be the Danes rather than the Portugese!!!!!

*They'll probably win the bleedin' thing now!!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

Very hard to see past a Germany Holland 1,2

Horrible group to get drawn in for everyone involved! Especially when you consider Englands group.

Portugal are playing better stuff these days, and they do have Ronaldo and Nani so can't be written off.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,316 ✭✭✭kevohmsford

This is a tough group alright. Germany and Holland favourites but it is going to be close.
    A few big suprise results in store for sure.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,465 ✭✭✭kitakyushu

I fancy Portugal for last place but I do think Denmark will give a good account of themselves and keep in there with Holland and Germany.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,584 ✭✭✭Rekop dog

I don't think a lot of people realise how big a rivalry there is between Germany and Holland, they hate each other. That match will be seriously intense with neither side leaving much on the pitch. Think this may count against them though and I'd fancy Portugal to bag one of the 2 top spots. They've an incredible pedigree at making it out of group stages in the Euros, topped their group on the last 4 occasions,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,299 ✭✭✭spiralism

Germany have a slight tendency to struggle in group play at times, especially in the second match (serbia and croatia the last two tournaments ran out winners in the Germans second match), -which is in this case Holland. They'll win the other two. Holland will beat Germany for the reason above as well as Denmark and probably Portugal too. Dutch group winners, Germans runners up. Portugal have Ronaldo and Nani but aren't amazing these days, Denmark havent the same array of talent but are a decent side nonetheless, 3 and 4 could go either way.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

2010 - Group of Death - No one died.
    2008 - Group of Death - No one died.
    2006 - Group of Death - No one died.
    2004 - Gro..

2010 - Group of Death - No one died.
    2008 - Group of Death - No one died.
    2006 - Group of Death - No one died.
    2004 - Gro..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ob1rYlCpOnM&t=1m32s

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,694 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

I think they will snatch second from probably the Dutch..and that they are the best chance for the upset in the group qualifiers

• Registered Users Posts: 1,885 ✭✭✭Optimalprimerib

Denmark are the type of team that are always seen as dark horses in the groups that they are in but 9 times out of 10 they don't show up in the major tournament. 1992 excluded. I put them down to beat the Dutch, but then remembered being disappointed in them in the last few competitions I have seen them in.

Portugal can be hard to predict, this could be an interesting group in terms of who finishes on top.

I wonder will de Jong and van bommel be given the licence to break as many legs as possible this time around.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,570 ✭✭✭✭Frisbee

I reckon Netherlands and Germany to qualify from the group. Can't decide who I reckon will come 1st/2nd. Denmark 3rd and Portugal to prop up the group.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭Father Damo

The best giant scalp chance is Germany, they have had an erratic build up to this tbh.

Portugal havent a hope. For all his talent Ronaldo hasnt seemed to enjoy playing an international since 2006.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,886 ✭✭✭MoscowFlyer

FHBgy.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,925 ✭✭✭aidan24326

Portugal are not that great though!

I don't think this is quite the 'group of death' it's made out to be. Denmark will battle and be competitive but are a limited team, and Portugal aren't what they were.

For me it will be a major surprise if Germany and Holland don't both qualify, it just depends in what order.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,704 ✭✭✭G.K.

I think Portugal could beat the Dutch - Portugal's strength is on the flanks, while the Dutch's weakness is the fullback positions.

On the right, van der Weil motors up the flank a lot and could leave space in behind him.
    On the left, the Dutch will either play Schaars, a DM, or Willems, an 18 year old. That could be another weakness.

Ronaldo and Nani are easily the strength of Portugal's side.

Portugal have at times really turned it on over the past few years, against Bosnia in the playoff and despite only a friendly they looked excellent against Spain last year. But they've all too often been surprising leaky at the back considering the decent defenders they have if not a little too partial to an insane moment of aggression. But I think there's questions about the Dutch and German defence also. Shame Danny isn't there for Portugal even if he was going to play a bit part role, his creativity could have given them another dynamic that they're lacking a little in midfield.

Absolutely fascinating group all in all, have been looking forward to it this in particular for months.

• Advertisement

Yeah, Danny's one of the biggest injury losses of the whole tournament imo (Even if he was only a bit part player).

Talking about DM's at fullback against Portugal, it sounds like Bender could play at RB for the Germans...

Interesting, he hasn't played there all season. Talk about lack of faith in the likes of Howedes. Even could have played Lahm RB and Schmelzer LB.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,116 ✭✭✭Professional Griefer

3-2 Holland. Come on!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,778 ✭✭✭Big Pussy Bonpensiero

Who's expected to start at CB for Germany? Zonal Marking seem to think Mertesacker will partner Badstuber.

The media's consensus seems to be that it'll be those two.

• Site Banned Posts: 26,456 ✭✭✭✭Nuri Sahin

Latest reports from German media are saying this will be the Germany XI tonight : Neuer- Boateng, Hummels, Badstuber, Lahm - Schweinsteiger, Khedira - Müller, Özil, Podolski - Gomez

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,190 ✭✭✭✭IvySlayer

G.K. wrote: »
    Talking about DM's at fullback against Portugal, it sounds like Bender could play at RB for the Germans...

Must...not...giggle...

Rekop dog wrote: »
    Interesting, he hasn't played there all season. Talk about lack of faith in the likes of Howedes. Even could should have played Lahm RB and Schmelzer LB.

FYP

• Advertisement

Boateng/Hummels strikes me as a better right side of defense than Bender/Mertesacker.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 941 ✭✭✭yomtea98

I agree.I think Mertesacker is a poor defender.Too slow.Hummels is up with the best centre backs in the world.

G.K. wrote: »
    Boateng/Hummels strikes me as a better right side of defense than Bender/Mertesacker.

Not a doubt about it.

Netherlands: Stekelenberg, Van der Wiel, Heitinga, Vlaar, Willems; Van Bommel, De Jong; Robben ,Sneijder, Afellay; RVP

Willems becomes the youngest ever player at a Euros now.

And the Denmark side: #DEN XI v #NED Andersen; S Poulsen, Kjaer, Agger, Jacobsen; Zimling, Kvist; Rommedahl, Eriksen, Krohn-Dehli; Bendtner

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,846 ✭✭✭Moneymaker

No Mertersacker makes that German side about 1000x better.

Looking forward to both of these games.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,455 ✭✭✭Where To

Dutch to be out of sight at half time. De Jong come on for a rested RVP and score five second half goals.

I'd be happy with that. :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

Redknapp and Dixon wearing the same shirt. Oops.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,796 ✭✭✭✭Pudsy33

Looking forward to seeing Eriksen

How long till VB gets his yellow?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,733 ✭✭✭SlipperyPeople

dutch jersey is class

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,190 ✭✭✭✭IvySlayer

How long till VB gets his yellow?

9 mins my bet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,949 ✭✭✭Samich

Looking forward to this game. Haven't seen many people tip Van Persie as top goalscorer.

I'll go with 18 mins for Van Bommel to be booked.

Hes 10/1 to get first card on PP. I'll have some of that.

Van Bommel will introduce himself to Eriksen within the first 2 minutes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,255 ✭✭✭Renn

Ha, that music reminds me of some old Lansdowne Road games.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,191 ✭✭✭BKC

Come on Denmark!

Renn wrote: »
    Ha, that music reminds me of some old Lansdowne Road games.

It's Ricky the Dragon Steamboat's music.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,890 ✭✭✭✭klose

Size of the dutch flag v.bommel gave to Agger!

• Advertisement
Advertisement