Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Protein Shakes for Women

• 08-06-2012 4:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭

I'm thinking of taking protein shakes, I'm not vegetarian although I rarely ever eat meat. If I do it'd be fish or chicken. Also I can't drink/eat much dairy as I don't digest it that well. I know there's no special shakes for different genders but I was just wondering if I should take some.

I'm trying to get fit and healthy, lose 30 pounds and workout 6 days a week. I'd be doing weight training about 4 times a week and I'd take the shakes on those days. Would taking shakes me the best option for me? Are there any brands that you could recommend to me?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,183 ✭✭✭UnknownSpecies

Work out the calories you need to be taking each day from the stickies. Then decide how much of those calories you want to take in from protein. If you can't fulfill that number by including more protein rich fresh food, then you should protein powder. Otherwise, there's no point. It's an aid to your diet, not something that actually causes weight loss by itself.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭H8GHOTI

The "1g of protein per 1lb of bodyweight" that gets posted around here all the time. That's for males trying to build muscle, isn't it?
    What is the recommended intake for females trying to lose weight?
    I know the amount of calories will be more important but is there any min/max values for protein?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭H8GHOTI

Are there any brands that you could recommend to me?

A lot of people round here use MyProtein.com.
    They are good value. The different flavours I've tried were all nice. Fast delivery too.

http://www.myprotein.com/ie/

• Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭FueledByAisling

Which ones should I buy, sorry I'm completely new to this and I don't know if I should be looking under weight control or lean muscle?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,793 ✭✭✭gymfreak

As Dorgasm stated earlier the most important thing for you to do is to read the stickies, work out how many kcals you need to take in and THEN decide whether or not you need a protein shake.

Although I eat plenty of meat I do sometimes find it hard to reach the 1g per lb bw rule, so in this instance I'd have a protein shake..but I still have to add the kcals in it to my daily kcals
    Which ones should I buy, sorry I'm completely new to this and I don't know if I should be looking under weight control or lean muscle?

This is the one that I'd generally go for

http://www.myprotein.com/UK/products/true_whey

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,439 ✭✭✭SunnyDub1

I'm thinking of taking protein shakes, I'm not vegetarian although I rarely ever eat meat. If I do it'd be fish or chicken. Also I can't drink/eat much dairy as I don't digest it that well. I know there's no special shakes for different genders but I was just wondering if I should take some.

I'm trying to get fit and healthy, lose 30 pounds and workout 6 days a week. I'd be doing weight training about 4 times a week and I'd take the shakes on those days. Would taking shakes me the best option for me? Are there any brands that you could recommend to me?

I would highly recommend maxitone. I use the Sculptress one, I usually take on mid day and post workout. I find them great,they fill you and taste good to.

worth having a look - http://www.maxitone.ie/shop

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,919 ✭✭✭✭Gummy Panda

SunnyDub1 wrote: »

I would highly recommend maxitone. I use the Sculptress one, I usually take on mid day and post workout. I find them great,they fill you and taste good to.

worth having a look - http://www.maxitone.ie/shop

Those ladies diet shakes are ridiculous over priced. its generally whey, green tea extract and cla. not worth it

• Registered Users Posts: 750 ✭✭✭Pretty Polly

Those ladies diet shakes are ridiculous over priced. its generally whey, green tea extract and cla. not worth it

I agree. The first protein shake that i ever bought was Slender Pro. Looking back, it was/is so expensive compared to the standard whey. I do love the taste of it though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,551 ✭✭✭panda100

dorgasm wrote: »
    Work out the calories you need to be taking each day from the stickies.

Where are the stickies on this?I can't find them.

I have similar question to op. I exercise every day, and I do a combination of weights,aerobic classes, running etc. I am in training for a 10k at the moment, which means I'm running every evening. I have a good overall diet, and eat little and often throughout the day. I am very tall and would eat a lot more than the average female beacuse of this.

I find that I'm always starving at the end of the day before I go for a run, and if I eat something even light, before my run, I will have a stitch within ten minutes. I was wondering will protein shakes help me to avoid this problem?

I know people have recommended whey protein on here?Can you get that in most health food shops?

I'm so clueless on protein shakes, any help would be appreciated :)

• Registered Users Posts: 26 hellosunshine2

I think this article can help you guys:

http://bootiquefitness.com/how-to-choose-a-protein-powder-for-women/

Also, you can make your own protein shake if you want:

http://fitbie.msn.com/eat-right/10-tasty-protein-shake-recipes

• Advertisement
Advertisement