Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

**HL Irish Paper I Before/After**

• 08-06-2012 4:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,576 ✭✭✭

So, cén aistí an bhfuil sibh ag déanamh staidéar ar? Níor fhoghlaim mé aon rud fós ach beagáinín faoin cúlú eacnamaíochta/an imirce. Tá sé ar intinn orm staidéar a dhéanamh ar an timpeallacht, na cluichí oilimpeacha agus an Ghaeilge.

Déan plé!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,905 ✭✭✭Chavways

My schools website just said that Irish Paper 1 is being replaced with a contingency paper.Was it leaked or something?

• Registered Users Posts: 204 ✭✭polka dot

Apparently the LC aural tape was played to a small group of JC students. They're going to use the contingency paper now for the Leaving Cert HL and OL Irish exams.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 670 ✭✭✭Naomi00

What are the chances of JCs even being able to understand the LC tape..:rolleyes:

Is it the whole paper or just the aural?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 2,503 Mod ✭✭✭✭dambarude

• Registered Users Posts: 19 Monkeyloops

not sure if this is a good thing or not....

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 2,503 Mod ✭✭✭✭dambarude

I wouldn't give it a second thought. There was all sorts of speculation after the same thing happened with English paper II in 2009. The 'back up' paper ended up being no different, or more difficult, than any would have expected.

• Registered Users Posts: 445 ✭✭imelle

how many essays are people learning for irish? i'm learning 6 that cover 8 topics..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,509 ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

Won't make a damn bit of difference tbh.

If they hadn't announced it, most of ye would never have known. The main reason why they did, I suspect, was because it would have eventually leaked out anyway and then the rumours would have started and would have outgrown the truth by a factor of 10!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 104 ✭✭dmca93

I wish I didn't know this because now if I find the tape difficult or don't like the essay topics I will instinctively be thinking about what could have been. On the other hand if I'm happy with the paper it'll be great! Ah sure "Is maith an scéalaí an aimsir".

• Registered Users Posts: 2,888 ✭✭✭Fergus_

What essays is everyone doing?

I'm doing one on Recession, Emigration, Pressure on Teenagers, Olympic Games, Tourism and Environment.

Should that cover me? I'm not great with Irish so I'm fecked if they twist the question from what my essays entails.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29 stapler10

only 2 that cover 5

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 715 ✭✭✭Wesc.

imelle wrote: »
    how many essays are people learning for irish? i'm learning 6 that cover 8 topics..

I'm doing 5. Importance of the language. Youth problems (Drink). The Health System. The Education System. The Enviroment.

What about you? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 445 ✭✭imelle

Wesc. wrote: »
    I'm doing 5. Importance of the language. Youth problems (Drink). The Health System. The Education System. The Enviroment.

What about you? :)

mine are on: the environment, the media, young people alcohol drugs education all in one, sport & health, politicians and the celtic tiger
    praying one will come up :D

• Registered Users Posts: 976 ✭✭✭NinjaDucks

My teacher remains convinced that an essay/debate will come up on the media and possibly include the internet and if that doesn't crop up, she reckons politics...so maybe know a fair amount as back-up?
    As for me, I'm concentrating on daoine óga (fadhbanna etc.), imirce agus an cúlú, an gaeilge, na cluichí oilimpeacha agus ciníochas & sochaí ilchulturtha. oh and maybe something on road safety as a fall-back. (:
    (Am I the only person to have forgotten about An Triail being on the course?)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,572 ✭✭✭Canard

dmca93 wrote: »
    I wish I didn't know this because now if I find the tape difficult or don't like the essay topics I will instinctively be thinking about what could have been. On the other hand if I'm happy with the paper it'll be great! Ah sure "Is maith an scéalaí an aimsir".
    I wouldnt worry. My thinking is the first exam was absolutely impossible like most have been so far, and maybe they didnt go to the same lengths with the other one... its my only hope. :L

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 406 ✭✭AnnaKin

NinjaDucks wrote: »
    My teacher remains convinced that an essay/debate will come up on the media and possibly include the internet and if that doesn't crop up, she reckons politics...so maybe know a fair amount as back-up?
    As for me, I'm concentrating on daoine óga (fadhbanna etc.), imirce agus an cúlú, an gaeilge, na cluichí oilimpeacha agus ciníochas & sochaí ilchulturtha. oh and maybe something on road safety as a fall-back. (:
    (Am I the only person to have forgotten about An Triail being on the course?)

Doing an essay on the language, the president (although i dont think that'll be up tbh) Education, and problems with kids. Originally i was gonna just do the problems essay and pray for that but after the past week with the papers i dont wanna risk it!

But yes, forgot completely about An Triail :o Be grand :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,103 ✭✭✭shefellover93

AnnaKin wrote: »
    Doing an essay on the language, the president (although i dont think that'll be up tbh) Education, and problems with kids. Originally i was gonna just do the problems essay and pray for that but after the past week with the papers i dont wanna risk it!

So screwed for An Triail :o We only did one aiste (Retard honours class:pac: ) about drugs and the recession, if I don't use it I can wave goodbye to good marks. Hope the listening and comps are ok

• Registered Users Posts: 732 ✭✭✭Bubbleope

Gaeilge sa lá atá inniu ann

Tá teanga na Gaeilge ag fáil bháis go mall, ach tá rudaí a táimid in ann a dhéanamh chun é a choiméad.
    Fadó in Éirinn bhí gach duine ag labhairt Gaeilge an t-am ar fad. Ansin, tháinig an teanga Béarla anseo agus thosaigh daoine ag labhairt Béarla go rialta. Is é Béarla an teanga is mó labhraítear sa tír seo anois agus ceapaim nach bhfuil sé ceart. Ach, bionn daoine sna Gaeltachtaí fós ag labhairt Gaeilge, mar shampla: Ceathrú Thaidhg i gContae Mhaigh Eo. Bionn na daoine an-bródúil as an teanga féin agus bionn siad ag labhairt Gaeilge i gcónaí. Labhraítear an Gaeilge mar theanga an phobail i gceantair Ghaeltachta eile in Éirinn freisin agus tá an Ghaeilge ag bailiú nirt lasmuigh den Ghaeltacht chomh maith sa scoil, seachtáin na Gaeilge agus na meáin.

Tá seacht gcinn de Ghaeltachtaí sa tír seo i lathair na huaire: Tír Chonaill(Co. Dhun na nGall), Maigh Eo, Conamara agus Oileáin Árann(Co. Gaillimhe), Corca Dhuibhne(Co. Chiarraí), Cúil Aodha(Co. Chorcaí), An Rinn(Co. Phort Láirge) agus Rath Chairn(Co. na Mí). Cuireann an Rialtas deontais ar fáil do mhuintir na Gaeltachta as ucht a bheith sásta Gaeilge a labhairt. Sin é rud maith. Téann níos mó ná fiche mile duine óg ó na méanscoileanna agus ó na bunscoileanna go dtí an Ghaeltacht gach samhradh chun Gaeilge a fhoghlaim. Tá an Gaeilge ag imeacht as cuid mhaith de na Gaeltachtaí i láthair na huaire mar gheall ar dhaoine a bheith ag teacht “isteach ón taobh amuigh” agus mar gheall are riachtanas an Bhearla le dul chun cinn a dheanamh sa saol. Is mór an chabair do mhuintir na Gaeltachta leithéidí Raidió na Gaeltachta agus TG4. Tugann said fostaíocht mhaith do na daoine agus tugann said deis dóibh níos mó úsáide a bhaint as an nGaeilge mar teanga “bheo”. Bionn na Gaeltachta bhealach iontach go an teanga a coimeadann.

Foghlaimíonn gach duine hÉireannach Gaeilge mar ábhar sa scoil. Déanann a lán daoine ardleibhéal sa Ghaeilge san ardteist inniu. Foghlaimíonn said grammadach, scéil agus a lán rudaí eile ann. Tá sé an-súimiúil. Chomh maith leis an ábhar Gaeilge, tá seachtáin na Gaeilge ar siul gach bliain. Is é seachtáin lán le spraoi. Bionn gach duine ag labhairt Gaeilge agus ag imirt cluichí as Gaeilge. Bionn rinceoirí ag dámhsa le cheol traidisiúnta agus bionn a lán craic le dheanamh. Sa scoil, bionn seachtáin na Gaeilge iontach ar fad. Freisin, bionn an ábhar iontach. Dar liom, ba choir go mbeadh an Ghaeilge ina hábhar éigeantach mar is é an Ghaeilge cuid de ár oidhreact. Ceapaim go bhfuil sé an-tábhachtach.

Is é na meáin chumarsáide an-tábhachtach leis an Ghaeilge. Le tamall anuas tá gearrtha siar ar an méid Gaeilge a bhíonn le feiceáil agus le cloisteáil ar an teilifís, t-idirlíon agus an ráidió. Is é an clár is mó is fiú trácht orthu ná “An Nuacht”. Tá se go han-mhaith ar fad. Bíonn sé ar RTÉ gach lá. Freisin, tá caineál i nGaeilge ar fáil ar an teilifís agus TG4 is ainm dó. Ó seirbhís iontach is é TG4, dar liom. Cuireann sé an Gaeilge faoi lathair ar bhealach an-taitneamh. Tá réimse leathan dár ar fáil ann. Tá cartúin ann do páistí, cláracha ceoil agus spóirt do na deagoirí agus cláracha cúrsaí reatha do na daoine fásta. Deirtear go bhfuil lucht feachanna mór ag an sobaldrama “Ros na Rún”. Nuair a bhí “Paisean Faisean” ar siúl ar TG4, chonaic mé é agus cheap mé go raibh sé an-greannmhar agus suimiúil! Níl aon amhras ach go bhfuil borradh agus fás tagtha ar an teanga mar gheall ar TG4. Chomh maith leis an teilifís, tá Ráidió na Gaeltachta “ar an aer” os cionn tríocha bliain anois agus is iontach an tseirbhís a chuireann sé ar fáil - cláir ar cheol, ar cúrsaí reatha, ar nuacht, ar spóirt agus a lán eile. Faoi dheireadh, is é an nuachtán is mó cáil tá le fáil i dteanga na Gaeilge inniu ná Foinse. Tá se cosúil le aon nuachtáin eile ach tá sé i nGaeilge. Is é rud tábhachtach maidir leis an Ghaeilge inniu.

Mothaím go bhfuil sé an-tabhachtach ár dteanga dúcháis féin a choimeád, chun cur i gcuimhne dúinn cárbh as dúinn. Gaeilge gach lá! Le gníomhartha mar sin beidh an Ghaeilge beo go deo! “Tir gan teanga is tír gan anam,” agus tá sé sin fíor.

My teacher gave me 90% on that essay. :) {might be a few mistakes in it so beware :pac: } not sure if it actually is worth 90 but sure i'm after typing it up for a friend and thought i'd pass it on here too if anyone doesn't have something prepared on "the irish language at present" :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 406 ✭✭AnnaKin

So screwed for An Triail :o We only did one aiste (Retard honours class:pac: ) about drugs and the recession, if I don't use it I can wave goodbye to good marks. Hope the listening and comps are ok

ah well its only worth like 6%... I'm not expecting to do amazing in Irish tbh, it is my weakest honours subject so :o A c1 is my aim, although a b3 might be achieveable if i learn my essays to the last fada :p The Oral went surprisingly better than I expected, so if the papers are all right, you never know!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,905 ✭✭✭Chavways

Are people actually learning off essays for this? I'm just going to write from the soul.The only irish study I'm doing is for paper 2.Paper 1 will take care of itself.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33 sarahmocks

My teacher has never given us anything on education, so i'm completely freaking out here! :( any chance you would like to share notes/essay? :D please, need high points in irish! :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,103 ✭✭✭shefellover93

ah well its only worth like 6%... I'm not expecting to do amazing in Irish tbh, it is my weakest honours subject so :o A c1 is my aim, although a b3 might be achieveable if i learn my essays to the last fada :p The Oral went surprisingly better than I expected, so if the papers are all right, you never know!

Yeah but that's a grade like :p Hope to get half marks. Yeah Oral went well, appreciate the optimism :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,479 ✭✭✭ChemHickey

Chavways wrote: »
    Are people actually learning off essays for this? I'm just going to write from the soul.The only irish study I'm doing is for paper 2.Paper 1 will take care of itself.

Same here! I'm not learning essays off by heart! It defies the whole test of skill in the 'Irish exam'.

Guys, what are you gonna do if the exam ends up telling us to put stuff in our own words for the comprehensions?! The Chief Examiner told my teacher we dont have to but jesus christ, if they write it on the exam I'll freak out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,813 ✭✭✭Togepi

Patchy~ wrote: »
    Guys, what are you gonna do if the exam ends up telling us to put stuff in our own words for the comprehensions?! The Chief Examiner told my teacher we dont have to but jesus christ, if they write it on the exam I'll freak out.

I'll probably just... Put them in my own words.

:P

Yeah but what if you mess it up and lose marks? My point is apparently we wont lose marks for taking it straight out, but if you change it and make a grammar error you will lose marks - and theres no need to risk it if you apparently dont need to. :/

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭waiting4

no matter what happens the culu eacnamaiochta is going in there!

• Registered Users Posts: 976 ✭✭✭NinjaDucks

Dear lord, can you imagine if they had a queston on the benefits of imirce? My teacher told us to be prepared for very specific questions ):

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭waiting4

but usually theres always one question vague enough to twist around to suit you

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,778 ✭✭✭leaveiton

I'm only learning the following essays. Do you think I'll be safe?

Córas Oideachais
    Teanga na Gaeilge
    Fadhbanna an Duine Óg
    Cúlú Eacnamaíochta

I was going to learn Spórt but I don't think I'll have time. I might look over it though. I was also going to learn Mean Chumarsáide but I can't find the essay I wrote on that :o

Advertisement