Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

**HL Irish Paper I Before/After**

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭waiting4

leaveiton wrote: »
    I'm only learning the following essays. Do you think I'll be safe?

Córas Oideachais
    Teanga na Gaeilge
    Fadhbanna an Duine Óg
    Cúlú Eacnamaíochta

I was going to learn Spórt but I don't think I'll have time. I might look over it though. I was also going to learn Mean Chumarsáide but I can't find the essay I wrote on that :o

yep you'll be grand im only learn 3

• Registered Users Posts: 33 sarahmocks

leaveiton wrote: »
    I'm only learning the following essays. Do you think I'll be safe?

Córas Oideachais
    Teanga na Gaeilge
    Fadhbanna an Duine Óg
    Cúlú Eacnamaíochta

I was going to learn Spórt but I don't think I'll have time. I might look over it though. I was also going to learn Mean Chumarsáide but I can't find the essay I wrote on that :o

any chance you would like to share your coras oideachais essay? i can send you some stuff on mean chumaraide? :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 104 ✭✭dmca93

Even if the comprehensions don't say:
    "Bíodh na freagraí i d'fhocail féin, oiread agus is féidir leat"

I'm still going to be paranoid and I'll probably end up changing the answers as best I can. Anyone else feel like this?

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭annettesayz

For the mocks I didnt change the answers and lost a lot of marks, but my teacher kept on telling us that for the leaving they'll all know that you dont need to change it around.. I think I'll trust her judgement lol

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,572 ✭✭✭Canard

No. I mean, I dont expect it - my teacher asked the Chief Examiner who said for Q1-5 we wont be penalised for not rewording. And if they do penalise us there will be war...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11 rockswell

waiting4 wrote: »
    no matter what happens the culu eacnamaiochta is going in there!

This!
    If we all do till be grand:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 358 ✭✭mcpaddington

I don't understand why you guys are learning essays off. I'm not saying it will but the way things are going with every exam this year, they have been highly unpredictable. Chances are none of the essay you'll learn off will come up. Paper 1 is supposed to be about your Irish writing ability, not learning ability.

• Registered Users Posts: 732 ✭✭✭Bubbleope

I don't understand why you guys are learning essays off. I'm not saying it will but the way things are going with every exam this year, they have been highly unpredictable. Chances are none of the essay you'll learn off will come up. Paper 1 is supposed to be about your Irish writing ability, not learning ability.

But everybody should have a few essays written out with good points. Like you're not gonna do well if you're not prepared. :P
    I'm not learning off any essay. I just have essays done from over the past 2 years and I'm gonna read them tomorrow night and hopefully I'll be set! :pac:

btw, I'm just after going through all the sample papers to see what essay topics are most applicable to each heading and they are in this order:

Éire agus an culú eacnamaíochta(came up 14 times)
    Polaitíochta(10)
    Gaeilge mar Teanga(10)
    Oideachas(9)
    Nuatheicneolaíocht(9)
    Daoine óga agus fadhbanna(8)
    Daoine óga agus buntaistí(7)
    Na Meain Cumarsáide(6)
    Timpeallacht(6)
    Drugaí agus Ól(6)
    Sláinte(6)
    Sport +/Cluichí Oilimpeacha(5)
    Teilifís(5)
    Idirlíon(4)
    Coiriúlachta(4)
    Reiligiún in Éirinn(3)
    Seandaoine agus fadhbanna(3)
    Ráidió(3)
    Caitheamh Aimsire(3)
    Clann(3)
    Cairde(3)
    An tUachtarán(2)
    Daoine gan dídean(2)
    Cursaí Idirnáisiúnta(2)
    Ábharchas/Siopadóireacht(came up once really)

Some of them topics can be intertwined too. :) so all's good!
    but guess what.. the recession is like the only topic i'm not prepared for at all! fml. :L gonna start writing points out tonight :pac:

edit: just cause the recession is tops in the sample papers doesn't mean the title on paper one will have anything to do with it!! just making sure i'm not sending out the wrong message here. :L
    :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,778 ✭✭✭leaveiton

sarahmocks wrote: »
    any chance you would like to share your coras oideachais essay? i can send you some stuff on mean chumaraide? :)

I honestly would, but I just don't have the time! I'm sorry! I appreciate the offer of some stuff on mean chumarsaide but again, I just wouldn't have the time to learn it :(

• Registered Users Posts: 8 legend44

Our Irish teacher has never told us that our answers for comprehensions don't have to be in our words. She is an examiner and the best teacher in the school by a country mile. It is nothing short of a disgrace that the SEC haven't clarified whether they do or not for students and teachers alike. They are an absolute farce. How sure are people that we can take it straight from the passage and stick it into our answer books for full marks???

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭RedTexan

Bubbleope wrote: »
    But everybody should have a few essays written out with good points. Like you're not gonna do well if you're not prepared. :P
    I'm not learning off any essay. I just have essays done from over the past 2 years and I'm gonna read them tomorrow night and hopefully I'll be set! :pac:

btw, I'm just after going through all the sample papers to see what essay topics are most applicable to each heading and they are in this order:

Éire agus an culú eacnamaíochta(came up 14 times)
    Polaitíochta(10)
    Gaeilge mar Teanga(10)
    Oideachas(9)
    Nuatheicneolaíocht(9)
    Daoine óga agus fadhbanna(8)
    Daoine óga agus buntaistí(7)
    Na Meain Cumarsáide(6)
    Timpeallacht(6)
    Drugaí agus Ól(6)
    Sláinte(6)
    Sport +/Cluichí Oilimpeacha(5)
    Teilifís(5)
    Idirlíon(4)
    Coiriúlachta(4)
    Reiligiún in Éirinn(3)
    Seandaoine agus fadhbanna(3)
    Ráidió(3)
    Caitheamh Aimsire(3)
    Clann(3)
    Cairde(3)
    An tUachtarán(2)
    Daoine gan dídean(2)
    Cursaí Idirnáisiúnta(2)
    Ábharchas/Siopadóireacht(came up once really)

Some of them topics can be intertwined too. :) so all's good!
    but guess what.. the recession is like the only topic i'm not prepared for at all! fml. :L gonna start writing points out tonight :pac:

edit: just cause the recession is tops in the sample papers doesn't mean the title on paper one will have anything to do with it!! just making sure i'm not sending out the wrong message here. :L
    :)
    You are aware that all those sample papers are the questions from all the previous years Leaving Cert right?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,298 ✭✭✭Namlub

I'm not going to go in there and start spontaneously reeling off obscure vocabulary and figures about drugs or alcohol, you need to prepare. And it's an exam, writing ability goes hand-in-hand with learning ability.

• Registered Users Posts: 732 ✭✭✭Bubbleope

RedTexan wrote: »
    You are aware that all those sample papers are the questions from all the previous years Leaving Cert right?

yeaaah man. :)
    sure what does it matter anyways? :pac: yeesh :L

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28 Enda93

legend44 wrote: »
    Our Irish teacher has never told us that our answers for comprehensions don't have to be in our words. She is an examiner and the best teacher in the school by a country mile. It is nothing short of a disgrace that the SEC haven't clarified whether they do or not for students and teachers alike. They are an absolute farce. How sure are people that we can take it straight from the passage and stick it into our answer books for full marks???

well said, but I'm not sure if I'll have enough time to reword the answers, I've done 2 pre papers and failed to finish both since I've taken too much time on the comprehensions because I was re-wording them. I think they've taken away the "in your own words" part because there's already so much on paper 2..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 406 ✭✭AnnaKin

Only confident of fadhbanna na daoine oige right now tbh :o

Just gonna have to do some fierce amount of reading and hope for the best! Kinda getting worried cause if i do bad in paper one idk what will happen :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,073 ✭✭✭David1994

AnnaKin wrote: »
    Only confident of fadhbanna na daoine oige right now tbh :o

Just gonna have to do some fierce amount of reading and hope for the best! Kinda getting worried cause if i do bad in paper one idk what will happen :o

I am pretty sure you can fit that into a title that comes up..My teacher really only has us prepared for problems in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 oldcrescent

could some explain the marks to me?

i know the oral and listening is 50%,whats the rest?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 923 ✭✭✭biohaiid

could some explain the marks to me?

i know the oral and listening is 50%,whats the rest?

Essay is 100 marks.
    2 comprehensions 50 marks each.
    Pros - 30
    Filiocht - 30.
    Litriocht breise - 40.

The best things to focus on are the tape, essay and comprehensions.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 923 ✭✭✭biohaiid

Just read over a few essays and have an idea of interchangable points on:
    Daoine oga (mainly drugs)
    Seirbhisi slainte (mainly mental helath)
    Gaelige
    Difhostaiocht and Imirce
    Eire Trina Cheile

Not essays, thats a complete waste of time, but points.
    I really cant see a title where I cant manage them into.
    I read over timpeallacht and sport just in case. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 131 ✭✭grantyrs10

biohaiid wrote: »
    Just read over a few essays and have an idea of interchangable points on:
    Daoine oga (mainly drugs)
    Seirbhisi slainte (mainly mental helath)
    Gaelige
    Difhostaiocht and Imirce
    Eire Trina Cheile

Not essays, thats a complete waste of time, but points.
    I really cant see a title where I cant manage them into.
    I read over timpeallacht and sport just in case. :)

Ye, i definately agree, learning off essays is a waste of time if you have been practising writing and listening to irish during the yaer you should be cvapable of making up watever comes up on the paper . If anyone is stuck you sud have an opening and an ending réamh-ullmhaithe.

m.sh: Níl aon amhras ach gurb í an fadhb seo an fadhb is measa in éirinn faoi láthair. Bíonn an scéal seo á phlé sa mheán beagnach gach aon lá.Is annamh a dhéantar cíoradh ar an nuachtán y nach bhfeictear tuairisc éigin den scéal seo. Ní mór dom a adhmháil go gcaitfimid dul i ngleic leis an bhfadhb chasta chigilteach í seo .......

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 326 ✭✭K_1

No vocab learned, have time to learn enough for one essay . .my standard of irish is good but I haven't made any effort for it :P

Any recommendations on which topic?! The one on countdown to 606 said córas oideachais . . .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 131 ✭✭grantyrs10

K_1 wrote: »
    No vocab learned, have time to learn enough for one essay . .my standard of irish is good but I haven't made any effort for it :P

Any recommendations on which topic?! The one on countdown to 606 said córas oideachais . . .

you wud be able to use fadhbanna sóisialta in alot of the essays that come up so go with that ie: drugs alcohol

Definate know dífhostaíocht and siarú eacnamaíochta srl

• Closed Accounts Posts: 326 ✭✭K_1

grantyrs10 wrote: »
    you wud be able to use fadhbanna sóisialta in alot of the essays that come up so go with that ie: drugs alcohol

Definate know dífhostaíocht and siarú eacnamaíochta srl

I'd better start now so and get off the internet :P

• Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭RedTexan

Just thought I should throw it out there, this year if a place name is one of the answers on the tape and your spelling is incorrect you will be marked wrong

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭siobhan93

If they ask about Education is there anyway you can talk about emmigration?

Like could you say because of the education system people dont have good skills and have to go abroad or something? Cause i dont have much on education but i do on imrice!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,298 ✭✭✭Namlub

RedTexan wrote: »
    Just thought I should throw it out there, this year if a place name is one of the answers on the tape and your spelling is incorrect you will be marked wrong

The Irish aural is such a joke, why are we getting tested on place names anyway?

• Registered Users Posts: 445 ✭✭imelle

i only know the EU and sport & health. still have young people, education, the media, drugs to go and have to watch soccer. it's gonna be a long night!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 358 ✭✭mcpaddington

I hope they follow the rest of the papers and put the subjects as random as possible. Something like "How do the clothes you wear reflect your personality".

• Registered Users Posts: 445 ✭✭imelle

I hope they follow the rest of the papers and put the subjects as random as possible. Something like "How do the clothes you wear reflect your personality".

is maith liom eadaí. is cuma liom cad a ceapann tú faoi mo t-léine ait mar is aoibhinn liom é. téim ag siopadóireacht go minic, ach le deanaí de bharr an cúlú eacnamaíochta nílim in ann eadaí a cheannach.... (see what i did there ;)) essay on recession ftw.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,778 ✭✭✭leaveiton

imelle wrote: »
    is maith liom eadaí. is cuma liom cad a ceapann tú faoi mo t-léine ait mar is aoibhinn liom é. téim ag siopadóireacht go minic, ach le deanaí de bharr an cúlú eacnamaíochta nílim in ann eadaí a cheannach.... (see what i did there ;)) essay on recession ftw.

Ní bhíonn éadaí faiseanta ag daoine gan dídean, mar tá siad bocht. B'fhéidir go bhfuil siad ag tógáil drugaí freisin...

Advertisement