Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

**HL Irish Paper I Before/After**

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 131 ✭✭grantyrs10

It says you don't have to, you can if you want, although you get penalised for writing too much.

Really easy paper. Went very well.

You wont get penalised for writing too much unless your irish is ****e !

• Registered Users Posts: 2,888 ✭✭✭Fergus_

Oh...
    Ah well, whats done is done :)

I write really small though!

• Registered Users Posts: 14 water_piano

It says you don't have to, you can if you want, although you get penalised for writing too much.

Would 4 pages be over the limit?:confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 358 ✭✭mcpaddington

grantyrs10 wrote: »

You wont get penalised for writing too much unless your irish is ****e !

You can get penalised for writing too much, a lad in my school last year wrote 7 and a half pages, he was penalised 30 marks.

Would 4 pages be over the limit?:confused:

No that's fine.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 445 ✭✭imelle

did the one on Ireland being welcoming and open today and said it is welcoming and open because of the EU. then i went on to talk about advantages and disadvantages of the EU for Ireland because it's so open.. like travel and all. do you think that's relevant. it was in my mind..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 923 ✭✭✭biohaiid

My abosulte perfect paper! :D
    Tape was lovely. One or too difficult parts only. :)

And coras slainte. HELL YES!

Thats my highest mark essay from my teacher, an A2.
    And Iv'e definately improved since then. :)
    And the way it was asked meant I could bring in the essay my teacher gave us in Ireland in a mess etc .. Prefect. :)

Had loads of time, don't think I made many mistakes at all.
    SO HAPPY! :)

EDIT: I wrote just about 5. I have big writing, but still I don't think it makes a difference. If it's quality irish then quantity doesn't matter. :)
    The only trouble with long essays is grammar mistakes, but I went over and over it. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 264 ✭✭earwax_man

I wrote 8 pages hahaha Páipéar epiciúil <3

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,818 ✭✭✭donvito99

I wrote an essay on the Economy and Education except replaced those words with Corás Sláinte!

• Registered Users Posts: 14 water_piano

No that's fine.

Phew:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4 Johannes 14

That's mint :) That makes my endng make perfect sense :cool:

I thought it was the same as you but it turns out "Measartha" means moderate not respect. I wonder how that'll be marked?

Does anyone know what the third essay title meant?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,479 ✭✭✭ChemHickey

I thought it was the same as you but it turns out "Measartha" means moderate not respect. I wonder how that'll be marked?

Ya? Well, my essay still makes sense (more sense) with the new title, so i'm happy! I made it all up, I said I wouldn't learn an essay off for today and I'm happy I didn't. Wrote like 7 pages (which includes my plan which I used to mindmap etc)

• Registered Users Posts: 732 ✭✭✭Bubbleope

i did the one on crime cause it was the only one of the titles that i felt i could write most with. :)
    went off on a tangent in the middle off it and gave out about homeless people. :L :L :pac: probably gonna lose marks for that. :eek: :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭jmclee

Here is 5 and a bit pages too much? They wouldn't be put off would they?

Alsooo, am I right in saying relevance and coherence and stuff of the essay is only worth 20 whereas the gaeilge itself is 80?

I did the Ireland being welcoming one and disagreed and said with it's bad education system the recession the drink problem and stuff it isn't welcoming..? Is that relevant? Like people wouldn't be encouraged to educate themselves in Ireland because of it's system, like id link it back to the title always just hope I wasn't too vague in my argument..

biohaiid wrote: »
    Does anyone know what the third essay title meant?

Criminality in Ireland.

jmclee wrote: »
    Here is 5 and a bit pages too much? They wouldn't be put off would they?

Alsooo, am I right in saying relevance and coherence and stuff of the essay is only worth 20 whereas the gaeilge itself is 80?

I did the Ireland being welcoming one and disagreed and said with it's bad education system the recession the drink problem and stuff it isn't welcoming..? Is that relevant? Like people wouldn't be encouraged to educate themselves in Ireland because of it's system, like id link it back to the title always just hope I wasn't too vague in my argument..

Yep, it's all about your standard of Irish.
    I dunno, I considered using that title and disagreeing too but I wasn't sure if you could do that ..
    But anyways, if your Irish is of good standard there's not much they can do.
    Unless they think you completely misunderstood the title, then you get marked out of 60. But I think you should be okay :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Mslollyg

Ok i wrote at least 6 pages for the first alt, on daoine oga, and now im panicking in case it was too much.. It was at least 700 words, but my irish was good n i dont think there were many mistakes.. Will i lose marks for writing too much?? :/

Criminality in Ireland.

Oh, phew! Almost went for that one, thank God I didn't. :L

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 131 ✭✭grantyrs10

You can get penalised for writing too much, a lad in my school last year wrote 7 and a half pages, he was penalised 30 marks.

there is no way you wud get penalised if your irish is perfect !

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11 aisling.pw

What did people think of the HL Paper today?....

I thought the listening was very difficult, got barely any answers...

I swung the essay "Ireland Today: Nice Welcome Place" one into an essay about immigration and the recession....so hope that is okay??

Dreading tomorrows paper....

Wish I had more time, or had a good idea of what was coming up :-(

• Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭_pure_mule_

Dearbhaile wrote: »
    at the top of the essay titles does it not say 'you must not go over 500-600 words in any case' ??

You don't get penalised for writing too much...?!

Anyone else do the one on how welcoming and open Ireland is? I talked about how Ireland is the land of a thousand welcomes, culture, Irish pubs in foreign countries and the craic Irish people have. :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,813 ✭✭✭Togepi

Grand paper, did the alt on daoine óga.

Happy enough except I missed out on one answer for the tape on the second listen. Gutted, would have gotten it if I'd listened properly to it both times instead of concentrating on the other questions!

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Johannes 14

ChemHickey wrote: »
    Ya? Well, my essay still makes sense (more sense) with the new title, so i'm happy! I made it all up, I said I wouldn't learn an essay off for today and I'm happy I didn't. Wrote like 7 pages (which includes my plan which I used to mindmap etc)

Would it be interpreted as a misunderstanding of the title that I did respect instead of moderation? They sort of mean the same thing? I'v never learnt an essay, didn't think this many people did.

• Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭RedTexan

Mslollyg wrote: »
    Ok i wrote at least 6 pages for the first alt, on daoine oga, and now im panicking in case it was too much.. It was at least 700 words, but my irish was good n i dont think there were many mistakes.. Will i lose marks for writing too much?? :/
    So you think they are going to punish, well lets face it, the higher ability students for being too good. As long as you were being relevant and using good Irish then there is no need to panic.

• Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭RedTexan

That tape goes lightning

• Registered Users Posts: 29 ismiseaoife

Haha I love hearing people go on about not being able to understand the Donegal accent on tape.. one of the joys about being from Donegal :P

Haha I love hearing people go on about not being able to understand the Donegal accent on tape.. one of the joys about being from Donegal :P

On the tape it mentioned Baile na Lorgan. Which is Castleblaney in English, my hometown :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,905 ✭✭✭Chavways

The aural was pretty hard.I had to move seats to try to listen to it better.

I did the Ireland is a Welcoming Open Country.Did 6 pages around 1500 words I think.Threw in mo cionniolach everywhere and used all sorts of vocabulary. The title was so vague.I included crime, tourism, unemployment, emigration, drink, drugs and the recession.

Hopefully paper 2 will be just as easy.Spailpin fanach and Oisin i dTir na nOg all the way.

Advertisement