Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

**HL Irish Paper I Before/After**

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Mslollyg

RedTexan wrote: »
    So you think they are going to punish, well lets face it, the higher ability students for being too good. As long as you were being relevant and using good Irish then there is no need to panic.

Ok thank you! I was happy with mine until i came on here and then i started freaking out! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 670 ✭✭✭123 LC

there was a great choice! did the respose to the alt. really glad they had to change the papers now, god only knows what would have been on the 1st one :L

• Registered Users Posts: 1,545 ✭✭✭Geo10

Tape was grand but what was with all the ulster Irish? Usually theres way less of that awful awful dialect!! I could understand most of it though!
    Essay titles at first glance were AWFUL! but I ended up doing the debate on drinking in Ireland cos I knew the opening and close for a debate and I tried to bring in what I learned off e.g. Drink driving/ death on the roads, young people drinking and joyriding, and I tried to squeeze in the recession by talking about how unemployment may exacerbate the drinking problem etc.
    I wrote about 4 pages... Had a few saorbriathairs, one modh coiniollach, 2 seanfhocails (although 2 very easy basic ones!) and I tried to add in some rebuttles

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,298 ✭✭✭Namlub

I thought some of the essay titles were a bit awkward tbh, I just did the Ireland is a welcoming country and twisted my recession essay. I'd say there was mo-one left by the end of the exam, so much time.

Thought the listening was looovely, I probably got the place name wrong as usual but compared to all that World War I stuff in the pre it was grand, phone numbers like?

• Registered Users Posts: 33 sarahmocks

anyone know if there's a paper two thread yet? :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭NoHarm1994

Chavways wrote: »
    Did 6 pages around 1500 words I think.

You fool they only want 600 :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 181 ✭✭liverpool lad

You can get penalised for writing too much, a lad in my school last year wrote 7 and a half pages, he was penalised 30 marks.

There isnt a general rule that you get penalised for writing way over and beyond, it is just the idea that the more you write, the more chances of grammer mistakes that are made, and over repetition will start making the points go down.. but don't worry about the length and points penalisation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,905 ✭✭✭Chavways

NoHarm1994 wrote: »
    Did 6 pages around 1500 words I think.

You fool they only want 600 :P

I know but I had so much time and so much to write about I just kept going.It was simple

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 131 ✭✭grantyrs10

I know but I had so much time and so much to write about I just kept going.It was simple

I guarantee you that the person who wrote 1500 words will do much better than the person who said fool !!!

• Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭An0n

grantyrs10 wrote: »
    I guarantee you that the person who wrote 1500 words will do much better than the person who said fool !!!

Actually no.

The vast majority of the marks are going for the grammar and quality of Irish.
    Only a small portion is going for content. In fact; A person who writes 1500 instead of 500-600 is three times more likely to lose grammar marks.

The grammar marks is what's going to get you 70%+

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28 Enda93

Around 3 and a half to 4 pages is A1 essay length, more or less than that is not likely to get as high a grade

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,905 ✭✭✭Chavways

An0n wrote: »
    grantyrs10 wrote: »

Actually no.

The vast majority of the marks are going for the grammar and quality of Irish.
    Only a small portion is going for content. In fact; A person who writes 1500 instead of 500-600 is three times more likely to lose grammar marks.

The grammar marks is what's going to get you 70%+

Well it was 1500 words of simple but well written irish.I used all tenses and I had all the correct prepositions with verbs.I made sure that I used all kinds of fancy words and I got the tuiseal guinideach and so on correct as far as I know.I read over it twice just to be sure.And I mades sure I wasnt apoofing about nothing.All of my paragraphs had a well developed point.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,109 ✭✭✭QueenOfLeon

Fergus_ wrote: »
    I was really happy
    M&S* wrote: »
    I was happy with that
    frantic190 wrote: »
    Have to say I was delighted with that
    Tippgal93 wrote: »
    I was really happy with that

What's this? Ye survived the evil back up paper? :P

Glad it went well for you all ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 104 ✭✭dmca93

Happy with that, hope everyone else was as well. The tape was difficult in parts but overall I didn't find it too bad. The essay titles were very fair I thought, I wouldn't mind seeing the other paper to know how it could have turned out!:P Did the first aiste on the Córas Slainte and wrote about four pages but my writing is pretty big so I'd say I just hit about 500 words. Out of curiosity did many other people do the first aiste?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51 ✭✭Looking Glass

I did the essay about how welcoming and open Ireland is, saying how tense our relationships were with various countries a century ago and how we've come a long way with even the queen coming to visit us with a smile on her face. Spoke about the international influence evidenced in the English market as well as some of the restaurants around. Went fine, I'd like to think.

Aural was fine as well. Some bits were perhaps a bit too easy though. Like the final section, the one about that athlete. The questions the woman were asking were literally the questions on the sheet.

• Registered Users Posts: 976 ✭✭✭NinjaDucks

It was alright, I suppose. No-one in my room could hear the tape right no matter what, so botched up a fair bit there, I reckon. The essay titles didn't suit me at all for some reason, but even so, I'm fairly happy with it. Could have gone a whole lot worse. (I want to see what the first paper was like!) B1/A2, please?

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭Duffman K

I did the first essay on the Córas sláinte, I took the word Ghéarchéim to mean recession though, kind of, as in: The recession in the health system: my solution to it, so i tried to propose a solution to get more money into the health system, went a bit weird :L
    What was the exact title of the first aiste does anyone know ?

• Registered Users Posts: 328 ✭✭Random_Person

Duffman K wrote: »
    I did the first essay on the Córas sláinte, I took the word Ghéarchéim to mean recession though, kind of, as in: The recession in the health system: my solution to it, so i tried to propose a solution to get more money into the health system, went a bit weird :L

Crisis in the Health Service: My solution

Duffman k wrote:
    What was the exact title of the first aiste does anyone know?

An Ghéarchéim sa chóras sláinte: Mo réiteach uirthi

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,438 ✭✭✭frantic190

Duffman K wrote: »

It was about your solution to the crisis in the health system so you were still relevant. :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,763 ✭✭✭finality

dmca93 wrote: »
    Happy with that, hope everyone else was as well. The tape was difficult in parts but overall I didn't find it too bad. The essay titles were very fair I thought, I wouldn't mind seeing the other paper to know how it could have turned out!:P Did the first aiste on the Córas Slainte and wrote about four pages but my writing is pretty big so I'd say I just hit about 500 words. Out of curiosity did many other people do the first aiste?

That works out at roughly 4 words per line. That's pretty big writing :L

• Registered Users Posts: 29 biddy boop

did anyone at all write about the GAA???

any predictions for tomorrow?

• Registered Users Posts: 3 caraclaire

does anyone know how long our answers need to be for everything tomorrow??:confused: as in how many pages of average sized writing??

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭That Handsome Devil

I actually had a decent enough time with the aural. And I'm normally not great with the aural, averaging around 65%. Idk what happened though, it seemed to come together so quite happy :D

I did Aiste b, Ireland's an open country. Did a lot of talk about how racism has stopped for the most part in Ireland, all the different cultures here, ethnic food shops, cultural markets where we all learn about each others cultures etc.

All in all, pretty happy. 650 words on the Aiste

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭Dearbhaile

Damn our teacher told us not to go over 500-600 words!:( so I did 585,could have done a lot more!dam!

finality wrote:
    That works out at roughly 4 words per line. That's pretty big writing :L

Yeah, I do it to overcompensate! :p I usually write six to seven words a line though, so perhaps I got closer to 550, not bad! :) What aiste did you do finality? Just to satisfy my curiosity.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 923 ✭✭✭biohaiid

frantic190 wrote: »
    It was about your solution to the crisis in the health system so you were still relevant. :D

I thoguht it was about recent cuts?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,576 ✭✭✭Coeurdepirate

Am I actually the only person in the country who was unhappy with the aiste titles? :/

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭opticalillusion

Am I actually the only person in the country who was unhappy with the aiste titles? :/

They were dire, bar the second one, which is the one I did. It looks like most did, so we probably all feel the same.

I don't even know how to solve the health crisis in english let alone irish! :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭Tankosaur

They were dire, bar the second one, which is the one I did. It looks like most did, so we probably all feel the same.

I don't even know how to solve the health crisis in english let alone irish! :rolleyes:

Bar the health one I thought they were fine.

Advertisement