Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

salmon and flood water

Options
  • 08-06-2012 5:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 335 ✭✭

anybody got any views on fishing brown flood water.
    Ive been waiting for ages for the rain to fill up the river, but now that its here, its a mucky brown.
    some of the lads i fish with, reckon theres no point fishing until the silt settles down. there probably right, but i cant wait that long. icon11.gif
    I'm back in work Monday, and id like to get some fishing in before then.
    am i wasting my time or is it worth a go?
    also what would be the best method? i usually fly fish, but I'm not superstitious when it comes to spinning.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24 pollagh prince

i imagine the salmon wont be able to see your lure if it is murky water??:D

• Registered Users Posts: 277 ✭✭realrebel

When I was fishing a river in Wales a few years back we had a huge flood and it was very brown, we thought that it would be a waste of time but our gillie said we would get fish no problem in it
    I know salmon anglers don't like it when it's brown but we got plenty of seatrout in it so you never know unless u try

• Registered Users Posts: 374 ✭✭fisherking

Try a large fly round the edges....
    Like a templedog......
    realrebel wrote: »

When I was fishing a river in Wales a few years back we had a huge flood and it was very brown, we thought that it would be a waste of time but our gillie said we would get fish no problem in it
    I know salmon anglers don't like it when it's brown but we got plenty of seatrout in it so you never know unless u try

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭wwwboof

big yellow flying c with a silver/copper blade

• Registered Users Posts: 335 ✭✭dvae

went down today, river was huge. at least 6' higher than normal, and a bit like willy wonka's chocolate river in color.
    i stead for about an hour since i was already there, and left.
    caught nothing except plenty of broken branches and a silage bag. icon9.gif

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 1,335 Mod ✭✭✭✭croo

I believe fish see in diffent wavelength to us... in infrared the mud is probably not all that much an issue. But the strong current would probably keep them in their lie where it's safer.

• Registered Users Posts: 380 ✭✭jkchambers

I hear guys are catching a lot of salmon on worm in the current floods. I know worms are banned on catch and release and some other waters but 2 rivers were mentioned. I am a pike angler and dont fish for salmon. I wont mention the 2 rivers that I was told about but was told that huge numbers of salmon were being caught in the last couple of days

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭Bizzum

jkchambers wrote: »
    I hear guys are catching a lot of salmon on worm in the current floods. I know worms are banned on catch and release and some other waters but 2 rivers were mentioned. I am a pike angler and dont fish for salmon. I wont mention the 2 rivers that I was told about but was told that huge numbers of salmon were being caught in the last couple of days

Have you reported this to IFI?

• Registered Users Posts: 380 ✭✭jkchambers

worms are allowed on these waters. checked the list

• Registered Users Posts: 2,705 ✭✭✭deerhunter1

dvae wrote: »
    anybody got any views on fishing brown flood water.
    Ive been waiting for ages for the rain to fill up the river, but now that its here, its a mucky brown.
    some of the lads i fish with, reckon theres no point fishing until the silt settles down. there probably right, but i cant wait that long. icon11.gif
    I'm back in work Monday, and id like to get some fishing in before then.
    am i wasting my time or is it worth a go?
    also what would be the best method? i usually fly fish, but I'm not superstitious when it comes to spinning.

Salmon dont generally travel when a river is coming into flood, nor do they take bait/fly etc, it is when a flood is dropping that it fishes best, that is when they start moving, in colour worm or yellow belly devon or flying C works best or bright tube flies. When a river is rising due to flood fish tend to lie low due to all the debris that drifts down.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 362 ✭✭EastTyrone

a boy told me that he found the best time to catch a salmo was as soon as the river was black from the rain, in the haf an hour after the flood starts and then itl go back to brown, thats when he catches all his fish

• Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭thekevin4540

Salmon dont generally travel when a river is coming into flood, nor do they take bait/fly etc, it is when a flood is dropping that it fishes best, that is when they start moving, in colour worm or yellow belly devon or flying C works best or bright tube flies. When a river is rising due to flood fish tend to lie low due to all the debris that drifts down.

salmon do take when the water is rising i got plenty of salmon when the flood was coming on i was out on sunday and i was fishing below a bridge and thare was 4 peaple shrimping off it thare was nothing cought all day but when the water started to rise one lost a fish and i tailed a fish for another man i think the fish are more likely to take when the water is rising becouse the fish are on the move and more likely to take something that passes them

• Registered Users Posts: 297 ✭✭J. Ramone

I have had good fishing in rising water but the window is very short. I would think fish get very uncomfortable when the water gets dirty. Fishing should be good once the flood starts to receed and the water takes on a sherry or ale colour. At the moment rivers are rising and falling on a daily basis and you would need to keep a close eye on the water to find good conditions.

• Registered Users Posts: 329 ✭✭Ned_led16

jkchambers wrote: »

Are these worms from the garden you mean? can they be used in the sea for salmon and does it need to be next to a river entrance?

• Registered Users Posts: 900 ✭✭✭danbrosnan

Ned_led16 wrote: »
    Are these worms from the garden you mean? can they be used in the sea for salmon and does it need to be next to a river entrance?

Big blue heads dug in any garden great for salmon!!

• Registered Users Posts: 335 ✭✭dvae

Advertisement