Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Xbox 360 or Gaming Laptop?

Options
  • 08-06-2012 5:51pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 792 ✭✭✭

This post has been deleted.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

How can you downsize to a high end laptop? They're way more expensive than a high end desktop.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 792 ✭✭✭Topbike77

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 10,518 Mod ✭✭✭✭5uspect

The thoughts of hauling an xbox around to hook up to a TV every time doesn't sound appealing. Granted it's only a couple of cables but it's a pain, especially if you're sharing a living room.

The type of games you play will also make a difference. Are you prepared to pay for a Gold sub to play online? How do you feel about a controller instead of a mouse?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,870 ✭✭✭Grumpypants

An Xbox is about 190 euro now, you wouldn't get a cheap netbook for that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,144 ✭✭✭CORaven

It depends. Do you have a large library of PC games? How many of them could you play on the laptop?
    I personally prefer the xbox, but you have to look at your situation as a whole.
    Do you have net browsing access elsewhere?

Buy two xboxes so! Or a PS3 and a 360, one is each place.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

5uspect wrote: »
    Buy two xboxes so! Or a PS3 and a 360, one is each place.

That's how I do it, one in my one place and one at my parents place when I'm up there :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,414 ✭✭✭Fluffy88

An Xbox is about 190 euro now, you wouldn't get a cheap netbook for that.

Yeah in terms of price the Xbox will be a lot cheaper.
    I paid €880 for a laptop with a GT 555M graphics card which isn't even considered a gaming GPU. Although games on the GT 555M look far better than on Xbox. Personally I would prefer a laptop and you would be able to find one for around €600-700 if you shop around.

You can also add in the argument that you can use a laptop for lots of other stuff like internet surfing, work, emails, blah, blah...

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

whats your budget OP.

high end laptop ofc will be better then xbox+shiet laptop, but high end laptops are not very good in price/performance department.

then again if you already have a huge library of games on pc, then buying xbox and buying games from the scratch sounds like a bad idea.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,540 ✭✭✭✭Varik

Have done the whole gaming laptop thing, you'll regret it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,776 ✭✭✭Mark Hamill

Varik wrote: »
    Have done the whole gaming laptop thing, you'll regret it.

Why? I've a gaming laptop, its great. Besides nicer graphics and the usual convenience of using a mouse and keyboard, the main reason I would suggest a laptop over a console is mods. Mods can fix bugs that developers miss, add or tweak features and provide dozen or hundreds of extra hours of gameplay with new levels.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,940 ✭✭✭Corkfeen

I'm not sure if it's possible to get a half decent gaming laptop for 1000. Around the point when I bought mine I think it cost around 1500.

The main issue with gaming laptops is you're paying through the roof for something which would be alot cheaper to do with a standard pc build. The general performance in terms of playing new games also tends to drop alot faster and you don't have any option to upgrade graphics cards.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,207 ✭✭✭hightower1

Anyone else slightly bothered by the "I'll claim taxback from uncles business for my new gaming laptop" ? Cheers :rolleyes:, guess me adding to the coffers with my USC and paye each month really helps spoiled kids with their "needs"

Hope ya get caught.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

hightower1 wrote: »
    Anyone else slightly bothered by the "I'll claim taxback from uncles business for my new gaming laptop" ? Cheers :rolleyes:, guess me adding to the coffers with my USC and paye each month really helps spoiled kids with their "needs"

Hope ya get caught.

oh get over yourself...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,414 ✭✭✭Fluffy88

http://www.saveonlaptops.co.uk/ASUS_N55SL-S2012V_1195322.html

It's not the cheapest laptop on the site but it's probably the lowest I would go in terms of performance if I was buying. Dual Core Sandy and entry level GPU which would run most games at highest settings above 30 fps. Games like Battlefield 3 or Metro 2033 might not be playable at full but most games would.

More power for more money,
    http://www.saveonlaptops.co.uk/Acer_Aspire_V3-5710G_1170401.html

Neither of them are technically "Gaming" laptops but they would both be well capable!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 6,332 Mod ✭✭✭✭PerrinV2

I didn't get my laptop for gaming but its specs are
    Intel® Core™ i7-2670QM processor (2.20 GHz with Turbo Boost up to 3.10 GHz)
    6GB ram
    3GB NVIDIA® GeForce® GT 555M Graphics
    700HDD

I think it was 900-930 I paid

• Registered Users Posts: 14,077 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

I'll have to agree with Varik, gaming laptops are grand for a few (1 or 2) years, and then one of two things will happen:

A: You won't be able to play new games as the laptop can't take it and you won't be able to upgrade it, or:

B: The GPU will overheat and die.

Or if you're very unlucky, like me, both will happen.

Plus, a decent gaming laptop is usually heavy, bulky and noisy. If I was you I would travel back in time and keep your cpu.

If you don't mind carting an xbox around build a mATX gaming rig and cart that around between monitors. There's also the small Alienware Area 51.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,207 ✭✭✭hightower1

Topbike77 wrote:
    This post has been deleted

lol, complain about Ireland being depressing (due to a recession) while in the same paragraph explaining how you will then add to the problem with tax fraud is somewhat hypocritical but hey, you feel your well within your rights to break the law seeing as YOU think its small potatoes then I guess that ok then. Never mind the law, you think its ok so thats all that matters. :rolleyes:

Shocked the mods havent closed a thread which blatantly and openly discusses illegal activity by the OP which is completely against boards user policy.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,540 ✭✭✭✭Varik

I'll have to agree with Varik, gaming laptops are grand for a few (1 or 2) years, and then one of two things will happen:

A: You won't be able to play new games as the laptop can't take it and you won't be able to upgrade it, or:

B: The GPU will overheat and die.

Or if you're very unlucky, like me, both will happen.

Plus, a decent gaming laptop is usually heavy, bulky and noisy. If I was you I would travel back in time and keep your cpu.

B may happen before A, but A will happen and when it does that Laptop will be just as loud, Hot, and Heavy as it was when it could run those games.

Topbike77 wrote:

That would be a good reason not to spend 2k on a toy.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

The internet. You will never find a more wretched hive of know-it-all's and moralists.

Leave the guy alone. He came for some advice, not a lecture.

My advice would be to get an xbox and a small budget laptop. Best value. You get to play games and have a portable machine.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,776 ✭✭✭Mark Hamill

Topbike77 wrote:

I have a MSI GX660R (Core i5 460, ATI HD5870, 6GB Ram). Got January before last. Great machine, plays everything I've thrown at it very well (Crisis on highest settings, Deus Ex HR, Stalker etc.). Has a spectacularly **** mousepad, but I stick to mouse for everything anyway, so that doesn't bother me. I'd imagine there should be a slightly newer version out now, with a more up to date processor, that might agree with your budget (mine was just over a grand at the time).

Advertisement