Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Chemistry: How to decide how many significant figures to use?

• 08-06-2012 5:56pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 486 ✭✭

Looking through past papers, they seem to arbitrarily decide how many significant figures they want.. and often say nothing then take marks away for not having the "correct" number.

When they don't mention how many significant figures they want an answer in, how are we supposed to know how many to give? Do we just give the same significant figures as the data given in the question?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 243 ✭✭Stalin and rugby

Dude wtf? Don't mean to sound like a bellend here but wtf sort of a question is that?

You're a med hopeful cmon. Just give 10,15, 100 significant figures nobody cares.. Give excess you'll never be penalized.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 486 ✭✭hollingr

They take away marks if you give too many decimal places a lot of the time.

It just annoys me that they are so ambiguous about it and I don't have a teacher to moan to buddy! It's not the most important thing but I don't like the ambiguity over something which should be extremely simple and obvious.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 243 ✭✭Stalin and rugby

Yea I understand what you're saying. They never give the densities of the liquids too.

Good luck bro

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭Spattersonox

our teacher always said to go to two points. This is obviously not concrete. Doubt you'd be docked though :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,992 ✭✭✭✭partyatmygaff

Generally speaking 2 decimal points (For your final answer) is good enough. If it's good enough for pharmaceutical analysis, it ought to be good enough for LC Chemistry.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,763 ✭✭✭finality

Do they deduct marks if you leave things to extra decimal places?

If they specifically ask for nearest whole number or to one decimal place and you don't give what they ask for or round off incorrectly they definitely dock marks, I've seen it a good few times in past papers to try catch people out!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,248 ✭✭✭Slow Show

hollingr wrote: »
    They take away marks if you give too many decimal places a lot of the time.

What?

EDIT: Well obviously if they're telling you to round it off, but do they deduct marks if there's no mention of rounding off in the question, which there rarely is from what I've seen.

Guess it doesn't make any difference, I'll stick to the two decimal places unless q says otherwise.

I just got a bit unsure since sometimes they give the answers to one, two or 3 decimal places and don't give any method to the madness.

storm in a teacup this.. pay no mind. back to the important stuff like learning off the course, as if loosing 1 mark to significant figures is going to change much anyways, bigger fish to fry for me ! :p

Advertisement