Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Foundation Course in Science NUIG

Options
  • 08-06-2012 6:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 32

Hi all
    I am applying for Occupational Therapy in Ireland and the UK in 2013.
    Just wondering about part time courses to do this year, starting in Sept/Oct 2012?
    Anyone have any ideas?

I have been looking at the foundation course for science in NUIG.
    Any views on this course, would it be suitable for prospective OT students?
    Any info at all would be much appreciated :)

beirne

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34 bayareayogi

Hi there

Sorry to hear you weren't successful this year (join the club).
    I've spent the last 2 months trying to figure out the same thing - have you considered the following:

UCD - Access Course
    http://www.ucd.ie/adulted/prospectivestudents/accesscourses/

Or the Open University- www.open.ac.uk
    It's modular and so you can work at your own speed and even if you are unsuccessful next year, the Open Uni courses count towards a qualification with them. I'm starting my 2nd year of studies with them in Oct and the courses are brilliant - by next year May I will have a level 6 Hetac qualification - cert in health sciences. Highly recommend it. I managed to get onto the waiting list for Physio in TCD - and I think this had a lot to do with it. Going to keep working at it and try again next year.

Best of luck with whatever you decide to do.
    If you want to PM me for details on the OU and how it works etc - pls do

:-)

• Registered Users Posts: 35,954 ✭✭✭✭Larianne

Most universities and some ITs (DIT for example) have access courses attached to them. Some offer direct entry to courses if a certain grade is achieved.

They seem to be highly rated by the institutions. I completed the UCD access to science course before being accepted to TCD as well as offers from two other unis. I would aim for high marks in the various subjects (i.e. 80%+).

I had looked at OU courses but you don't receive your results until late so that is what put me off them. At least with the access course, you'll have two subjects completed and examined by Christmas so you can show some of your results when applying next February.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 663 ✭✭✭FairytaleGirl

Would these enable you to skip the pre med year if you were going for medicine?

• Registered Users Posts: 32 beirne83

Larianne wrote: »
    Most universities and some ITs (DIT for example) have access courses attached to them. Some offer direct entry to courses if a certain grade is achieved.

They seem to be highly rated by the institutions. I completed the UCD access to science course before being accepted to TCD as well as offers from two other unis. I would aim for high marks in the various subjects (i.e. 80%+).

I had looked at OU courses but you don't receive your results until late so that is what put me off them. At least with the access course, you'll have two subjects completed and examined by Christmas so you can show some of your results when applying next February.

Hi Larianne
    How did you find the science access course in UCD? Were you fairly good at science anyway? Had it been a while since you studied?
    I am a little apprehensive about the maths module, it was my worst subject in school C1 ordinary level!. Is it doable?
    I am applying to NUIG but I am sure they are fairly similar in content :)

• Registered Users Posts: 248 ✭✭borrch

Hi Beirne, I intend to do the same course in September in NUIG. When do you have to register? I think it's late August early September, or is it earlier? I was at their open evening in April, they said all subjects were taught to higher leaving cert level. I'd imagine it couldn't be too difficult as alot of people would a long time out of education, maybe that's just me and my positive thinking :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

beirne83 wrote: »
    Hi Larianne
    How did you find the science access course in UCD? Were you fairly good at science anyway? Had it been a while since you studied?
    I am a little apprehensive about the maths module, it was my worst subject in school C1 ordinary level!. Is it doable?
    I am applying to NUIG but I am sure they are fairly similar in content :)

I found the access course very good. I reccomend it here all the time. They cover leaving Maths, Physics, Chemistry and Biology at leaving cert level. They also do study skills and computers. I found the Maths and Chemistry tutors particulary good. I ended up with very good scores in them and I wasn't very good at Maths and Chemistry confused me so must in school I switched to Art.

UCD have a Maths Support Centre as well where you can drop in if you're stuck on a question, although the Maths tutor would be happy to help just as much. I think I got the exact same as you in Maths! I ended up getting 83% in my Maths exam. :)

The course is doable. You need a score of 60% in all your subjects to get a place on the Science omnibus at UCD. I aimed for 80% + in all the subjects as I wanted to prove I was capable academically of doing well. If you put your mind to it, anything is possible!

Oh, I was out of school 8 years.

borrch wrote: »
    Hi Beirne, I intend to do the same course in September in NUIG. When do you have to register? I think it's late August early September, or is it earlier? I was at their open evening in April, they said all subjects were taught to higher leaving cert level. I'd imagine it couldn't be too difficult as alot of people would a long time out of education, maybe that's just me and my positive thinking :rolleyes:

Hey Borrch
    Cool glad I'm chatting someone that is hoping to the course in NUIG. I was onto the mature student officer a few weeks ago and she said she will e mail when we can apply.
    She said it will be June/July by the time this years info will be up on the website, as the course is under review, I think they are talking about changing the times or days, she was a little vague.
    What do you hope to do after this course?

I found the access course very good. I reccomend it here all the time. They cover leaving Maths, Physics, Chemistry and Biology at leaving cert level. They also do study skills and computers. I found the Maths and Chemistry tutors particulary good. I ended up with very good scores in them and I wasn't very good at Maths and Chemistry confused me so must in school I switched to Art.

UCD have a Maths Support Centre as well where you can drop in if you're stuck on a question, although the Maths tutor would be happy to help just as much. I think I got the exact same as you in Maths! I ended up getting 83% in my Maths exam. :)

The course is doable. You need a score of 60% in all your subjects to get a place on the Science omnibus at UCD. I aimed for 80% + in all the subjects as I wanted to prove I was capable academically of doing well. If you put your mind to it, anything is possible!

Oh, I was out of school 8 years.

That's cool Larianne, gives me some hope :) Yeah I will be aiming for high results too as I hope to gain a place to study Occupational Therapy in 2013. I was unsuccessful this year in Ireland so I'm gonna apply to UK also next year. Thanks a million for your reply :)

Are you going to apply for the OT course in TCD also?

Are you going to apply for the OT course in TCD also?
    Yes I'm applying to TCD as well as NUIGalway and the UK.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 248 ✭✭borrch

beirne83 wrote: »
    Hey Borrch
    Cool glad I'm chatting someone that is hoping to the course in NUIG. I was onto the mature student officer a few weeks ago and she said she will e mail when we can apply.
    She said it will be June/July by the time this years info will be up on the website, as the course is under review, I think they are talking about changing the times or days, she was a little vague.
    What do you hope to do after this course?

I live very near Galway so it's handy for me. Ya it's great to hear from some one intending on doing the course, would hate to be 'billy no mates' hahaha:o. I'd say your the same age as me as well (1983), have a fear of being quiet old compared to everyone there.

I'm hoping to do medicine in Sept 2013 there, will be resiting the leaving cert next year. But will pick a science course for plan B if all goes horribly wrong, probably be medical physics or something :confused:

borrch wrote: »
    I live very near Galway so it's handy for me. Ya it's great to hear from some one intending on doing the course, would hate to be 'billy no mates' hahaha:o. I'd say your the same age as me as well (1983), have a fear of being quiet old compared to everyone there.

I'm hoping to do medicine in Sept 2013 there, will be resiting the leaving cert next year. But will pick a science course for plan B if all goes horribly wrong, probably be medical physics or something :confused:

That's great fair play to you resitting the leaving cert.
    I will let you know when Trish the mature student officer e mails me about applying for the course
    Talk soon :)

Advertisement