Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

golden lab hair

• 08-06-2012 6:20pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,029 ✭✭✭✭

Our lab seems to have alot of loose hair lately. I know he has his summer coat but it seems to be bad this this year. I can brush him a few times a day but he still has loose hairs.

Is there anything I can do.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭Cherry Blossom

cena wrote: »

I'm afraid not, ours was the same, it came out by the handful! The older they get the more they shed. I used my grooming kit for the horses on mine and used a shedding blade but would advise caution if you don't know how to use one properly. At it worst it I'd have lab hair blowing all over the back garden, you couldn't even walk to the car without ending up with it in your mouth and up your nose :D

Have you tried using a furminator?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,029 ✭✭✭✭cena

I'm afraid not, ours was the same, it came out by the handful! The older they get the more they shed. I used my grooming kit for the horses on mine and used a shedding blade but would advise caution if you don't know how to use one properly. At it worst it I'd have lab hair blowing all over the back garden, you couldn't even walk to the car without ending up with it in your mouth and up your nose :D

Have you tried using a furminator?

No not use one of them. would you get one in petworld.

No not use one of them. would you get one in petworld.

Amazon/E-bay would tend to be cheapest, just make sure it's the 'real' deal if your looking on ebay.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭RubyGirl

Def furminator here all the way aswell. Mine would'nt shed much now though, would it be the food he's on maybe, did you change recently?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,045 ✭✭✭✭tk123

I use a furminator (got it off ebay also zooplus do a copy that's meant to be good), undercoat rake and slicker on my retriever once a week and it takes care of shedding.
    Does your lab swim at all? If their coat gets wet it'll loosen loads of the dead hair so either swim him or give him a wash and then once he's dry attack with the brush(es) :) Furminator also do shampoos that help loosen the hair btw

• Advertisement

RubyGirl wrote: »
    Def furminator here all the way aswell. Mine would'nt shed much now though, would it be the food he's on maybe, did you change recently?

He is eating pedigree food.

Do you have a monthly dog food budget? Would you consider a fish based diet? Fish would contain a lot of nutrients that are necessary for keeping a dogs skin and coat in the best condition. Or as a compromise add some fish oil to the dogs food. A good quality diet is a necessity though tbh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,729 ✭✭✭Millem

Our lab seems to have alot of loose hair lately. I know he has his summer coat but it seems to be bad this this year. I can brush him a few times a day but he still has loose hairs.

We have 3 labs and when it's shedding season it's madness ! I regularly fill the bucket of the Dyson Hoover with lab hair ! Between the three there would be more than enough hair for a lab puppy!

To mitigate against it there's not a lot you can do other than furminate every day. I cannot stress how good furminators are !!! Also, Dyson do an furminator-esque attachment which is put on the end of the Hoover so you can brush the dog and hoover it away straight away. If the dog isn't scared of hoovers this might be an option!

If you do get the furminator use it v gently - if you are too rough you'll hurt the dog and they'll run a mile whenever you get it out. I use it fairly gently, and our 3 seem to really enjoy it.

Furminator = best invention ever.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,729 ✭✭✭Millem

RubyGirl wrote: »

We have started to feed our guys burns (we get 15kg bag online), lasts about 20 days for 3 labs. Coats have really improved. They also get a tin of sardines each 3 times weekly. Difference in their coats was pretty obvious after about 1 month.

Wouldn't be a fan of the pedigree stuff myself

Millem wrote: »
    Also, Dyson do an furminator-esque attachment which is put on the end of the Hoover so you can brush the dog and hoover it away straight away. If the dog isn't scared of hoovers this might be an option!

O M G!!!!!!!!!!!:eek::eek::eek::eek: I just this week trained my guy let me stroke him with the hoover!!!

EDIT - ah wait it's just a slicker! :( won't do the job for us... The birds in the park will be lining their nests with our premium fur a little longer.. until I manage to attach the furmintor to the hoover lol ;)

• Advertisement

tk123 wrote: »
    O M G!!!!!!!!!!!:eek::eek::eek::eek: I just this week trained my guy let me stroke him with the hoover!!!

EDIT - ah wait it's just a slicker! :( won't do the job for us... The birds in the park will be lining their nests with our premium fur a little longer.. until I manage to attach the furmintor to the hoover lol ;)

Ours loves the hover. Loves getting hovered up.

Well going by this OP you just need a furminator and an elastic band and you're sorted lol! :pac: Long term maybe look at switching to a better diet?

pedigree isn;t the only food he eats. Vet has said what he eats Is a good diet.

• Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭Taceom

Oh wow that furminator looks fantastic. Our golden retriever is going through his change of coat right now, it seems to happen twice a year and we could really do with something like this. Does anyone know how noisy the furminator is? Our dog doesn't like the sound of our hoover, so I wouldn't consider using anything as noisy or noisier near him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

Its not only Retrievers that are moulting bad, my rotties had been moulting really bad for weeks, seemed never ending. Havent noticed it that bad for so long before, so must be the weather. Thankfully it looks like they have stopped now.

Have you tried washing the dog? This will wash out and loosen and remove a lot of the hair.

Taceom wrote: »
    Oh wow that furminator looks fantastic. Our golden retriever is going through his change of coat right now, it seems to happen twice a year and we could really do with something like this. Does anyone know how noisy the furminator is? Our dog doesn't like the sound of our hoover, so I wouldn't consider using anything as noisy or noisier near him.

It's a brush - the video is just an attachment to use it with a hoover.:)

Taceom wrote: »
    Does anyone know how noisy the furminator is? Our dog doesn't like the sound of our hoover, so I wouldn't consider using anything as noisy or noisier near him.

:D

It's the hoover that makes the noise, the furminator isn't an appliance its just a specially designed brush/blade combo thing, no batteries required.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 86 ✭✭kimberworth

I bought a Furminator but I prefer to use a 'rubber' horse curry comb on my terriers. Circular movements all over their coats and it loosens the hair, the dogs love it - must be like a massage for them! You'll pick one up in a tack shop for less than 5euro.

Twice a week I give them cans of sardines (from Aldi 49 cent). A drizzle of olive oil on their dry food also helps.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 384 ✭✭suziwalsh

Haven't read through the thread so apologies. But don't get a furminator they pull out the undercoat as well as the dead hair which is uncomfortable and damaging. Much safer with a mars coat king which you'll get online easier and kinder on the dog. However furminator makes a wonderful deshedding shampoo which works like a dream. Or just get your dog professionally groomed and they will get rid of all dead hair using a blaster.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,963 ✭✭✭IrishHomer

Can blastrs be sourced?

I'd prefer to pay for a blaster and do it myself for the rest of my days rather than shelling out €50 to €80 every time to a groom?

• Advertisement

IrishHomer wrote: »
    Can blastrs be sourced?

I'd prefer to pay for a blaster and do it myself for the rest of my days rather than shelling out €50 to €80 every time to a groom?

I have an Aeolus TD-901 and it's brilliant for drying him and also just blasting off muck and dirt say when he's been walking on wet ground and he's dirty on his legs and tummy. It was around €130-150 - I wrote a review of it last year when I got it. He's in the river almost every day so it gets LOADS of use - sometimes twice a day lol!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,963 ✭✭✭IrishHomer

tk123 wrote: »
    I have an Aeolus TD-901 and it's brilliant for drying him and also just blasting off muck and dirt say when he's been walking on wet ground and he's dirty on his legs and tummy. It was around €130-150 - I wrote a review of it last year when I got it. He's in the river almost every day so it gets LOADS of use - sometimes twice a day lol!

Thanks love your dog by the way :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,524 ✭✭✭Zapperzy

I remember a long time ago reading a tip about using a rubber glove to get hair off things, well I tried it yesterday and it's amazing, completely lifts the hair off clothes and furnishings, does an amazing job on the cat too who is moulting something awful at the moment, doesn't work as well on my dog but still does a good job so I suppose it depends on the type of coat.

Advertisement