Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Why has Poland such a problem with racists?

• 08-06-2012 6:39pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 702 ✭✭✭

I ask this question as I'm baffled as to why a country which suffered so much at the hands of both the Nazis and the Russians appears to harbour so much racist feelings.

Is it a Catholic thing or simply feeling of inferiority?
    Can we Irish learn anything from it?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭Organic Cavity

Thread open, worms everywhere.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,640 ✭✭✭Pushtrak

Is this in reference to the racist groups there? If so, then you could make the same argument about a lot of countries.

• Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭Chips Ahoy

Thread open, worms everywhere.

Replace thread with colon

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,171 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Maybe because they have such a complex history of various groups laying claim to their land over the centuries that this manifests itself in a fear of the outsider among some?

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,635 ✭✭✭eth0

Ireland has a problem with racists, all other European countries are perfect and we should strive to be like them

Just Ireland has problems and nobody else

-Self loathing paddy

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,366 ✭✭✭micropig

Maybe it's because my friend told me they eat swans?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,389 ✭✭✭mattjack

I ask this question as I'm baffled as to why a country which suffered so much at the hands of both the Nazis and the Russians appears to harbour so much racist feelings.

Learn to be more racist ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 574 ✭✭✭bdoo

sure we all know what those foreigners are like!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

You seem to be more atune to that mentality than the rest of us. Perhaps you've some insight on the matter...?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 586 ✭✭✭Mickey Dazzler

All Eastern Europeans are vicious racists.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,459 ✭✭✭Chucken

All Eastern Europeans are vicious racists.

All Irish people are raging alcholics :rolleyes:

Edit: Sorry,I thought the thread was about generalisations

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

You've been reading too many reports from the English media, delighted for once that attention is being deflected away from their rogue fans

• Registered Users Posts: 424 ✭✭FinnLizzy

mattjack wrote: »
    Learn to be more racist ?

Where does the church stand on this issue?
    Should we all be more racist?

• Site Banned Posts: 105 ✭✭telly_lover

why would you think it was a catholic thing ?

think of the different regions of the world where racism has been an issue this past seventy years , south africa , the southern states of the usa , none of theese places have a high catholic population

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,389 ✭✭✭mattjack

FinnLizzy wrote: »
    Where does the church stand on this issue?
    Should we all be more racist?

That would be an ecumenical matter Lizzy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,138 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

why would you think it was a catholic thing ?

think of the different regions of the world where racism has been an issue this past seventy years , south africa , the southern states of the usa , none of theese places have a high catholic population

They ran the Catholics out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,919 ✭✭✭✭Gummy Panda

What I don't understand is countries who suffered so much at the hands of Nazis, having Neo Nazi groups

I can understand racism as that happens everywhere but groups actually worshiping a party who classed them as sub-human and ravaged their country just seems so ignorant of the past.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

Because the authorities have not clamped down hard enough or educated its populace about such tendencies. Funnily enough, both countries in the spotlight(Poland and Ukraine) were communist. Other eastern European countries seem to racist problems themselves, Russia for example.

What I don't understand is countries who suffered so much at the hands of Nazis, having Neo Nazi groups

I can understand racism as that happens everywhere but groups actually worshiping a party who classed them as sub-human and ravaged their country just seems so ignorant of the past.

It does beggar belief but theres no accounting for gobs*ites in any country :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 276 ✭✭AndyTheDude

Why has Ireland such a problem with racists? :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,763 ✭✭✭✭Crann na Beatha

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,969 ✭✭✭hardCopy

Yeah, stop picking on the racists

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,763 ✭✭✭✭Crann na Beatha

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,538 ✭✭✭flutterflye

It's because your face.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,453 ✭✭✭Shenshen

Meh, I've met racist Israelis. Nothing surprises me on that count any more.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,924 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

There were plenty of groups in Poland that supported the Nazis during the Second World War.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,453 ✭✭✭Shenshen

gurramok wrote: »
    Because the authorities have not clamped down hard enough or educated its populace about such tendencies. Funnily enough, both countries in the spotlight(Poland and Ukraine) were communist. Other eastern European countries seem to racist problems themselves, Russia for example.

Not least of all Eastern Germany.
    I do tend to think of it like a pendulum, having been pulled in one direction and when released swinging in the other.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 672 ✭✭✭Battered Mars Bar

Aquila wrote: »
    idiots are everywhere no matter what nationality..
    reading some of this stuff here you would assume Poland is full of nazi zombies suffering an outbreak similar to 28 days later for the duration of the euros

Didn't get that impression from this thread. I've gotten a far worse impression of some cities in Poland straight from the Poles themselves. Their Eastern side is ravaged with alcohol abuse apparently on a scale that would make us all look very sober here.
    Why has Ireland such a problem with racists? [/IMG]

Thread's about Poland as far as I can tell.

Chucken wrote: »
    It does beggar belief but theres no accounting for gobs*ites in any country :(

Indeed.

Its interesting that the OP themselves, on the thread entitled "All These Eastern Europeans - Why No Czechs?" replied - "who cares, just be thankful".
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=79028479&postcount=27

As regards the safety of the Euros in Poland
    if the ones we got coming over here are anything to go by, i 'ld stay well clear of it and leave 'em to it.eek.gif
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=78974700&postcount=131

• Advertisement

ejmaztec wrote: »
    They ran the Catholics out.

never were many there in the first place

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

I should hope they have a problem with racists. . .if not, they would be racist :confused:

it doesnt

Same could be said about any western European country....

not really , the media and cultural elite in western europe never stop talking about the evils of racism

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 702 ✭✭✭goodie2shoes

i agree every country has its' racists, in every town & city.
    racism as it exists in Ireland is little more than the ramblings of a few (usually drunken) idiots.

however it appears to be so much more organised in Poland.
    how a country that was raped & pillaged by Nazis little more than half a century ago can embrace/tolerate such a philosophy is mind-boggling.

any ideas?:confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 276 ✭✭AndyTheDude

Thread's about Poland as far as I can tell.

tis indeed. Let's leave the good, old Irish racists alone and focus on those Polish bastards exclusively.
    The pot calling the kettle black... ;)

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 30 polskafanka

What makes you think Poland has such a problem???
    I was born there, I have spend over 25 years there and I never met anyone who was racist. My brother when he was little was dreaming about beeing black (because he loved basketball) and all my friends were open minded idealist.
    There are certain groups of usually young male -often pseudo football fans - there usually come from poor pathological families -they are lost, there are frustrated and they feel stronger and better together hating somebody...
    Were is poverty and no bright future it is easy to find frustration and aggression.
    There is another group of old catholic fanatics, but there are just scared of things they are not familiar with...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

Same could be said about any western European country....

Yes, Spain comes to mind as a recent case. Spain has also a large Catholic population just like Poland and Ukraine. Perhaps both religion and communism has had a bad negative influence on the uneducated in those countries?

I spoke to a few of the polish lads I work with and they agreed that racism is definitely present at a high level in Poland. They went so far as to say "if you are black and live near or in the city there would be a lot of trouble for you".

The first time I noticed that there may be a high amount of racists in Poland (I don't think we're short of them here mind...) was when Microsoft photoshopped a white guys head on to a black guys body in an advertisement picture for Microsoft office made specifically for Poland. You could see the hands were still black...

They would have a similar issue with gay people too, even if it was their friend that was gay, it would be something that would REALLY bother them... I'm at a loss to explain these prejudices though

racism as it exists in Ireland is little more than the ramblings of a few (usually drunken) idiots.

how a country that was raped & pillaged by Nazis little more than half a century ago can embrace/tolerate such a philosophy is mind-boggling.

Go and read post 30 then get back to us ;)

anyones guess , could be down to the fact that eastern europe has always been mono ethnic with the exception of a jewish minority which is now minescule , poland , russia etc have no history of black citizens , hence the reaction when poles and russian football fans encounter non whites

• Advertisement

....or people who post on message boards - like yourself for instance.

....you know trying to justify your dubious attitude to Poles by highlighting some of your fellow travellers is a bit much.

Humans should not be concerned about each other. We need to be more concerned with the aliens living amongst us!

gurramok wrote: »
    Yes, Spain comes to mind as a recent case. Spain has also a large Catholic population just like Poland and Ukraine. Perhaps both religion and communism has had a bad negative influence on the uneducated in those countries?

catholicism has its issues but compared to many other religons , intollerance by way of racism has rarely been one of them

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 647 ✭✭✭DingChavez

Stop getting your information about other countries from the British media.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭true

usually its foreigners who ask why has Ireland such a problem with racists, not the other way round.

We've exported our racists to kill people in pubs and shopping centres overseas, after all

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,299 ✭✭✭djPSB

I don't think they have problems with racists, THEY ARE RACIST!!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 30 polskafanka

djPSB wrote: »
    I don't think they have problems with racists, THEY ARE RACIST!!

You know what, every time I see in American movies Irish character who is a drunk and a looser I don't belive it, because I know it is not true
    -and you should not be calling me a racist because I am FAR from that.

true wrote: »
    usually its foreigners who ask why has Ireland such a problem with racists, not the other way round.

We've exported our racists to kill people in pubs and shopping centres overseas, after all

What racists would these be?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 672 ✭✭✭Battered Mars Bar

tis indeed. Let's leave the good, old Irish racists alone and focus on those Polish bastards exclusively.
    The pot calling the kettle black...

I don't understand. First we don't have much of a problem with racism in this country imo. Second are you saying so that we can't have a thread to discuss racism in Poland because there's a small number of racists in our country? :confused: or are you saying that Ireland can't speak critically of another country because after all who are we to be crtical of anyone, simple Paddies that we are :rolleyes:

Your point on Irish racists could be a good comparison, but of that you've made none.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭true

Nodin wrote: »
    What racists would these be?

to you they are patriots:D

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement