Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

question on btea and plc

Options
  • 08-06-2012 7:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭

hi all a question on finances
    i am currently looking to go back to college as i am currently unemployed.
    i have the cao in etc... but am not guaranteed a place anywhere.
    i got a letter from dit telling me i was unsucessfull for my 1st choice lv8, computing , and i also did an interview for my second choice lvl8 in dcu, which did not go well and did not get a place on this either.

my backup plan is to do a plc(2yrs - fetac level 5/6), which i have allready secured my place on (phew!)

does anybody know if i will be able to get the btea for both the plc and then on into college.
    if i end up going this route i might be able to get into an ordinary level degree course after doing only one year of the plc and getting a fetac lvl5

might this route be viewed as doing 1st year twice and lose me a years grant support etc or would it be viewed as a constant progression?
    any advice here would be greatly accepted
    thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭paperclip2

Hi dubdad.

From the info you provided you should be able to go on after the FETAC courses to do the level 7 / 8 at third level. FETAC is considered to be at a lower academic level to HETAC or NUI courses and so moving from a level 5/6 FETAC course to a level 6/7/8 HETAC course is considered progression.

Since 2010 there is a provision in the BTEA guidelines that allows you to get the payment even if you are not starting in year one of the course. So provided you fulfill the other criteria this should be ok.

Advertisement