Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Chocolate for cooking

Options
  • 08-06-2012 7:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭

Just wondering which chocolate I should use for cooking. I'm looking to make millionaire's shortbread and biscuit cake. I don't like very dark chocolate and I don't like food that is too rich.
    Which should I use? Can anyone recommend chocolate?
    Thanks.

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,714 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tree

It depends on the recipe really, where chocolate is the main ingredient (like biscuitcake or cheesecake) you need to get the best quality chocolate you can afford. (try your local chocolate shop, or failing that, I quite like lindt).

For recipes where the chocolate plays second fiddle, you can use any chocolate, even cooking chocolate.

For recipes that involve melting the chocolate, watch out for the cocoa content, some have it bulked out by cocoa powder which seems to increase the likelehood of seizing (this chocolate is great for eating or as chips, but not melting).

For white chocolate, if it doesnt need to be melted buy whatever you like, if it does, buy either expensive white chocolate or homecookwonder bar (yes, i know it's cooking chooclate, but it melts really well).

So in essence, buy whatever you like, but if the chocoalte is important, spend as much as you have on it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

Aldi sell bars of extremely high quality chocolate, called Single Source Origin Venezuela, Madagascar and Ecuador.
    55%, 65% and 75% respectively.

Go for broke and use a bar of each if you don't lile very dark chocolate, although, even the ecuador isn't very bitter.

Or Tesco have some lindt and Green % Black bars for 2 for one right now.

Or The Tesco's Finest bars are good too.

Or Tesco have these bars which between then would cost you about €1.70 and are pretty good.

IDShot_225x225.jpgIDShot_225x225.jpg

Advertisement