Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

SOLUTIONS Maths HL Paper 1

• 08-06-2012 8:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 927 ✭✭✭

Solutions to 1,2,6,7,8. The rest coming tomorrow.

**Disclaimer: I'm not a maths teacher or in any way involved in the marking. I'm simply going into 3rd year maths at Trinity College, in my LC got A2 in maths and physics and A1 in Applied maths. There may possibly be mistakes in my solutions. I'm not a machine. If you spot something, please say so.
    They will not appear on your screen and you will have to click a link to view/download them, so no one is forcing to to view them. You do so at your own discretion.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 927 ✭✭✭Maybe_Memories

And the rest.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 404 ✭✭DepoProvera

**Disclaimer: I'm not a maths teacher or in any way involved in the marking. I'm simply going into 3rd year maths at Trinity College, in my LC got A2 in maths and physics and A1 in Applied maths. There may possibly be mistakes in my solutions. I'm not a machine. If you spot something, please say so.
    They will not appear on your screen and you will have to click a link to view/download them, so no one is forcing to to view them. You do so at your own discretion.

EDIT: DERP I'm stupid.

Forgot to check answers in 2a) 1/2 isn't a possible solution :)

From what I can see it is. LHS is root 4 and RHS is -2 which is correct.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 715 ✭✭✭Wesc.

For 8 (a) the integral of cosx is +sinx I think :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 153 ✭✭Raeone

Any chance ya want to do the same for the ordinary level??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13 lemonz

From what I can see it is. LHS is root 4 and RHS is -2 which is correct.

Thanks for these, really reassuring. Would you lose marks for getting the two solutions and then rejecting the 1/2 afterwards or would they penalize it? :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭Mista

Hmm... for 1c(i), can you prove x = t/k is a root, therefore kx - t is a factor?

And in 2c(ii), can you sustitute in -x?

Wesc. wrote: »
    For 8 (a) the integral of cosx is +sinx I think :)

Yes it is indeed. :o

This also means in b the answer should be (pi-4)/16

Apologies!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 404 ✭✭DepoProvera

ahhahaha I'm a ****ing retard...! So sorry! Well I guess that question is out the window so :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29 Dazaq

Could u do 2c(iii)by squaring both sides

• Advertisement

Raeone wrote: »
    Any chance ya want to do the same for the ordinary level??

Yeah I'll do it over the weekend!
    lemonz wrote: »
    Thanks for these, really reassuring. Would you lose marks for getting the two solutions and then rejecting the 1/2 afterwards or would they penalize it? :rolleyes:

No idea, like I said, not a teacher/involved with marking. :p
    Mista wrote: »
    Hmm... for 1c(i), can you prove x = t/k is a root, therefore kx - t is a factor?

And in 2c(ii), can you sustitute in -x?

I'm afraid not, since in part i you don't know that the thing is equal to zero.

I'm not really sure about your second question tbh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 715 ✭✭✭Wesc.

Awh man I feel bad now :P Y'know for your integration (c) (ii)? I think you might of made a tiny error in that in calculating the area under the curve, you accidentily omitted the "2" where: 2ka = 2kroot(k)... you just said krootk.

Thanks for these though much appreciated!

• Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭cocopopsxx

For 1 c (i) I said x=t/k then sub it in the equation and got 0=0. Would that be correct as well?

• Registered Users Posts: 33 sarahmocks

For question 2b part two, i didnt multiply across by 5 at the very end, will i lose many marks? :/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,778 ✭✭✭leaveiton

Thank you, this is really appreciated! You're very kind to do this :)

Dazaq wrote: »
    Could u do 2c(iii)by squaring both sides

Yup!

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭emmamurphy233

There are definitely two mistakes there. One in the alpha/beta question and in 8b)ii you didn't multiply properly! I made the same mistake in the exam, good thing I noticed it! Thanks! I reckon I got 245 marks. Kind of disappointed but what can ya do! :)

Mista wrote: »

Actually scratch what I last said if you show that x=t/k makes the whole thing 0 then yes you can say its a root and hence kx-t is a factor! :D
    cocopopsxx wrote: »
    For 1 c (i) I said x=t/k then sub it in the equation and got 0=0. Would that be correct as well?

See above!
    sarahmocks wrote: »
    For question 2b part two, i didnt multiply across by 5 at the very end, will i lose many marks? :/

You wont lose any, there both equally valid ways of writing it. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,763 ✭✭✭finality

I'm afraid not, since in part i you don't know that the thing is equal to zero.

But if it's a root it will equal zero when subbed in. I'd say that's a valid method, I did it in the exam and it gave 0, though I also did long division just in case.

edit: you beat me to it :P

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭Mista

Actually scratch what I last said if you show that x=t/k makes the whole thing 0 then yes you can say its a root and hence kx-t is a factor! :D

Yaay! :D Cheers :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭RedTexan

Where did the two come from in the last integration question after integrating?

See above!

You wont lose any, there both equally valid ways of writing it. :)

Okay, yay, I was worried about it. Thank you.

And sorry bothering you again and but you know in 1 (b) (ii) where we had to find the cubic equation? I did it exactly the same way as you did and got the same answer but a few people in the other thread got a different answer so I was a bit worried but this will be an acceptable way ya? :o

Thanks a million for the solutions, appreciate your effort! :)

RedTexan wrote: »
    Where did the two come from in the last integration question after integrating?

The two tangents are symmetric so the area under both of them is equal to the 2(area under one of them). :smile:
    cocopopsxx wrote: »
    Okay, yay, I was worried about it. Thank you.

And sorry bothering you again and but you know in 1 (b) (ii) where we had to find the cubic equation? I did it exactly the same way as you did and got the same answer but a few people in the other thread got a different answer so I was a bit worried but this will be an acceptable way ya? :o

Thanks a million for the solutions, appreciate your effort! :)

I honestly can't think of any other possible way of doing it, but this way is definitely right. :)

I honestly can't think of any other possible way of doing it, but this way is definitely right. :)

Okay, thank you. (: Feeling much better after the solutions, waiting for Q5 now. Thanks a ton! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29 Dazaq

in the alpha and beta question,i do believe u made mistake wen getting the product of the 2 new roots ,the answer should be 4 not 6

The two tangents are symmetric so the area under both of them is equal to the 2(area under one of them). :smile:

In such a case should your limits not be a and zero and not a and minus a? I think that might be a mistake? You subtracted the 3k root k instead of 2k root k. I think the correct answer is 2k root k over 3

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 414 ✭✭Dicksboro_man

in 1bii what i did for my new roots was:

(x+2)-1= x+1

(x-1) -1= x-2

(x-3)-1= x-4

Am i wrong yeah? :-/

Dazaq wrote: »
    in the alpha and beta question,i do believe u made mistake wen getting the product of the 2 new roots ,the answer should be 4 not 6

Yeah I know it's been mentioned already. :o
    RedTexan wrote: »
    In such a case should your limits not be a and zero and not a and minus a? I think that might be a mistake?

No, because the area under f(x) is still to be taken between -a and a, then you subtract the area under the tangents which is 2(area under one of them).

You had me scared for a minute. :p

No actually you dropped the 2 from infront of 2ka once you substituted for root k

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭emmamurphy233

I have a question about 8c)ii. I got the area by getting the curves area between a and -a, then subtracted the areas of the two equal right angled triangles that can be made if you draw a line down from the points of intersection to the x-axis. Is this a valid method?

Advertisement