Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Insurance cancelled

Options
  • 08-06-2012 8:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭

Hi everybody

I would love some help on this issue. I was away for 3 and a half weeks and when i returned i had a letter from my insurance company to say that i had missed my payment on my months insurance and could i ring them immediatatly to pay this, i had another letter 4 days later again saying that my insurance would be cancelled if i didnt pay. My 3rd letter was a regestered one that was left in the post office because there was nobody in my house to sign for it so it was not picked up.

I then had another letter which i opened and there was a check for 54 euro for the previous month and the letter said my insurance was cancelled because of my missed payment. I only had 2 months left to pay for the remainder and have never missed a payment in all the years i have been with the company.

When i rang them up to discuss this they said i would have to renew my whole policy and start from the start again. The younglad on the phone i have to say was very rude and just kept telling me "there is nothing i can do now "

I know the missed payment was not exceptable but do you think there is anything they could have done for me because i hadnt genuinly been around for them weeks.

Thanks in advance.

ps they also said they tried ringing my phone plenty of times but they called out a number they had for me from 2 years ago. He said to me on the phone when i said i have not had that number for years that it was up to me to tell them that i have changed number ( i told him i had on 2 previous forms that i signed and filled out )

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,987 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

00benski wrote: »
    Hi everybody

I would love some help on this issue. I was away for 3 and a half weeks and when i returned i had a letter from my insurance company to say that i had missed my payment on my months insurance and could i ring them immediatatly to pay this, i had another letter 4 days later again saying that my insurance would be cancelled if i didnt pay. My 3rd letter was a regestered one that was left in the post office because there was nobody in my house to sign for it so it was not picked up.

I then had another letter which i opened and there was a check for 54 euro for the previous month and the letter said my insurance was cancelled because of my missed payment. I only had 2 months left to pay for the remainder and have never missed a payment in all the years i have been with the company.

When i rang them up to discuss this they said i would have to renew my whole policy and start from the start again. The younglad on the phone i have to say was very rude and just kept telling me "there is nothing i can do now "

I know the missed payment was not exceptable but do you think there is anything they could have done for me because i hadnt genuinly been around for them weeks.

Thanks in advance.

ps they also said they tried ringing my phone plenty of times but they called out a number they had for me from 2 years ago. He said to me on the phone when i said i have not had that number for years that it was up to me to tell them that i have changed number ( i told him i had on 2 previous forms that i signed and filled out )

You need to read your policy docs and the T&Cs of the loan agreement, paying by the month is getting a loan off the insurance company, for you policy.

But the fact that you missed the payment means they where in the right to cancel your policy. The fact you where out of the country and missed several letters isn't their fault. The phone number is but they've a record of trying to contact you by mail, which is the correct procedure to follow when trying to contact people as there's an easy to follow trail.

Edit,
    How did you miss the payment? I thought they all had to be done by DD

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Incisor

Hi

I know this is not what you want to hear but under contract law technically you canclled the policy not them. To explain.........Legally consideration (payment) was your responsibility and was not provided by you (the law does not care why you didn't pay.....away on holidays etc.). All the phone calls and letters are a courtesy from your insurer and they are in most case not obliged to send them, so if you do not receive them-no big deal on their part. Hate to be blunt but the insurer is not going to do anything for you, afraid its just a matter of getting a new quote

• Registered Users Posts: 4,502 ✭✭✭chris85

Incisor wrote: »
    Hi

I know this is not what you want to hear but under contract law technically you canclled the policy not them. To explain.........Legally consideration (payment) was your responsibility and was not provided by you (the law does not care why you didn't pay.....away on holidays etc.). All the phone calls and letters are a courtesy from your insurer and they are in most case not obliged to send them, so if you do not receive them-no big deal on their part. Hate to be blunt but the insurer is not going to do anything for you, afraid its just a matter of getting a new quote

Agree here. OP you going away doesnt mean anything. Your responsibility to ensure your bills are met while away. This is something everyone has to sort while away.

• Registered Users Posts: 536 ✭✭✭mrjoneill

Would appear on the face of it to rest on the term and conditions thus contract law but if you still feel aggrieved there is an Insurance Ombudsman that might give another opinion on protocols applicable to this service.
    http://www.financialombudsman.ie/

Advertisement