Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

billy no mates for fleas

• 08-06-2012 8:29pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,079 ✭✭✭

Anyone tried billy no mates which is a herbal powder meant to deter fleas and ticks? Been thinking of stopping the chemical spot ons. Living in city and dogs don't come into contact with other dogs or cats so hoping someone can reassure me. I'm going to continue with wormer from vets

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭Cherry Blossom

Why not just use the treatments only if & when the dogs get fleas/ticks, I walk my terrier in woods all the time and have only used it twice. If it's not broke don't fix it, just make sure to check thoroughly every few day for any signs of 'passengers'.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,079 ✭✭✭seefin

Why not just use the treatments only if & when the dogs get fleas/ticks, I walk my terrier in woods all the time and have only used it twice. If it's not broke don't fix it, just make sure to check thoroughly every few day for any signs of 'passengers'.
    Hmmm id thought of that but bit paranoid of getting house infested within 24 hours or something! When got rescue dog last summer he was riddled with them,passed onto my other dog -I hate Hoovering with a passion but that Hoover was out every few for a month. Id be afraid to fleas hatching by time I spotted them and it being a bit late to treat chemically. Billy no mates seemed like a good compromise.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,596 ✭✭✭anniehoo

Why not just use the treatments only if & when the dogs get fleas/ticks.
    I'm the same, i dont treat for fleas or ticks either unless i see them...which has been never so far on my cat. I regularly worm though as they're clearly not obvious to see and id prefer prevention rather than the cure (and the associated medical issues) in their case.

anniehoo wrote: »
    I'm the same, i dont treat for fleas or ticks either unless i see them...which has been never so far on my cat.

I've had no fleas either, just ticks - fugly little mofos :(, I did remove them but used the spot on to be sure and did find one with its legs in the air in my bed a week or so later.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭ISDW

I haven't used Billy No Mates, but have friend who have, and are very pleased with it.

Regarding worming, I saw yesterday about using butternut squash or pumpkin seeds as a natural wormer! I'm going to look into it a bit more, but from what I've seen so far, worth giving it a try.

• Advertisement

I might try this as I'll only need it if I'm bring the dogs to certain places, although it might encourage rolling in icky things,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,596 ✭✭✭anniehoo

ISDW wrote: »
    Regarding worming, I saw yesterday about using butternut squash or pumpkin seeds as a natural wormer! I'm going to look into it a bit more, but from what I've seen so far, worth giving it a try.
    With regards to endoparasites (internal) and ectoparasites (external) i would have zero confidence in many "natural" remedies for endoparasites.Whatever about repelling parasites from attempting to feed or lay eggs externally, internal parasites are a whole different ballgame.

Where the pumpkin seeds come into it, they are probably from an intestinal cleansing and roughage point of view.As the seeds pass through, the theory is they also carry the parasites with them.This wont solve the larvae that lie dormant in the animals mucosa (below surface basically) or the ones that are already midcycle about to cause problems (Angiostrongylus vasorum aka lungworm, is heart and lung related)and wont reach the stomach or intestine until the end of their host lifecycle.Not much a vegetable can do when that lad gets going.

Toxocara canis' larvae (the most common dog roundworm) can lay dormant and only activate when hormonal influences come into play i.e pregnancy. Vegetables will have no effect whatsoever (imho). Parasites have not lasted this long to be "killed off" by this remedie. They are natures machines.

Some drugs are there for a reason and the active ingredient e.g fenbendazole,milbemycin,praziquantel,ivermectin etc etc.They are a proven cure for many parasites problems, so for me they are my first port of call for treatment.Note i say treatment and not prevention.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,620 ✭✭✭_AVALANCHE_

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,441 ✭✭✭planetX

mint, garlic and cinnamon - you may as well get your dog to roll on the herb garden.

also, because something is a herbal treatment doesn't mean no chemicals - herbs contain chemicals, sometimes weaker than conventional treatments, sometimes stronger. I'd prefer something measured and proven to work, especially when it comes to worms.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,620 ✭✭✭_AVALANCHE_

How did people manage b4 Frontline came along?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,441 ✭✭✭planetX

I'll let you know soon cos the fleas here have become immune to frontline. We haven't had a problem this year though, I haven't used anything and only the very odd one turning up, must be the cold weather. I've probably jinxed myself by saying that and about to be infested:(
    Personally I wouldn't use neem on pets - which is one ingredient in billy no mates.

planetX wrote: »

I'll let you know soon cos the fleas here have become immune to frontline. We haven't had a problem this year though, I haven't used anything and only the very odd one turning up, must be the cold weather. I've probably jinxed myself by saying that and about to be infested:(
    Personally I wouldn't use neem on pets - which is one ingredient in billy no mates.
    why wouldn't you use neem ?

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭spacecookie555

You should try dipping him in water with rocksalt in it, it dehydrates the fleas and kills them, it then acts like a repellant, sprinkle it all over your furniture and carpet too, the most natural remedy for fleas there is :)

You should try dipping him in water with rocksalt in it, it dehydrates the fleas and kills them, it then acts like a repellant, esprinkle it all over your furniture and carpet too, the most natural remedy for fleas there is :)
    Am hoping to prevent the little buggers in the first place. If the billy no mates doesn't work,ill keep your tip in mind though. Ordered billy no mates today so fingers crossed it works

Advertisement