Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What do like most in your garden??

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 407 ✭✭muckyhands

paddy147 wrote: »
    Thanks........Yeah,not bad for 2 euro a pack for the medium sized allium bulbs (8 per pack) and then 1 euro per pack of giant allium bulbs (1 per pack).

Bought from both Euro2 Shop,Aldi and Plantegen Garden Centre.

We planted them very late too,and I somehow managed to plant some of them "upside down" too.:o:

My girlfriend laughed and had to show me which was the top and which was the bottom of the bulb,so I had to dig back up around 10-12 of and replant them "propperly".

Sure as the saying goes...."God loves a tryer"..;):D

Sure even planted upside down they would have found their way up. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 407 ✭✭muckyhands

looksee wrote: »
    Oh, I has a jealous! Your alliums are better than my alliums Paddy. I think mine were not very good stock, I think I will treat myself to some better quality bulbs this year.

Dont let them go to seed this year so the bulbs can build up extra reserves, they might perform better next year.

Sometimes if Alliums go to seed year after year the bulbs can run out of steam. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,658 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Yes that's a good point, to not let them seed. I put them in a large pot to get them going as I seem to lose them if I put them directly in the garden. This is their first year, they were those 4 different varieties in a pack for whatever, except they were half price because a bit late in the season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,730 ✭✭✭redser7

Just the grass. Turned it from truly horrible/mossy/weedy/patchy to a lush carpet.

There used to be a photo thread but it got de-stickied for some reason I think.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭Daisy M

I love my garden but I am afraid the two bad winters we had really knocked a lot out of it. I was so disheartened last year when my escallonia and grisellinea hedges got "kilt stone dead" there was a lot of other casualties but I was gutted by the loss of these two. I did the bare minimum in the garden last year. Anyway towards the end of the year I started looking on the bright side, the trees that give much needed privacey between my parents and my house survived, they are the most important trees ever. The Escallonia started to grow back and I kid you not they are really bushy and almost 3 feet tall. The grisellinea were separating two lawns but now we have made one big lawn and the decidious trees I planted and barely noticed have came into their own and are beautiful to look at.

I have 4 large shrub beds and lots of pots and I love them all.:)

I would love to see pics of other gardens.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 5,221 Mod ✭✭✭✭slowburner

Birds.
    (Although mine is more of a patch cut into the wilderness than a garden :o)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 790 ✭✭✭LaChatteGitane

Some garden delights.;)

Verbascum (spontaneous appearance)
    5m0h7n.jpg
    rbmdtk.jpg

Raspberries
    16h3n0k.jpg

Gaillardia
    14aa6b8.jpg

Calendula
    qyiqm8.jpg

Strawberries
    wl8uc0.jpg

Lupins
    9pp8vk.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 159 ✭✭Northumbria

It depends on the season:
    • In spring I love the purple crocuses, snowdrops and daffs which peep out from the melting snow
    • In summer I like the common poppies, Cornflowers and the red hawthorn around my area
    • In autumn I love seeing all the fruit on the trees ready for harvest - apples, pears, plums and the leaves turning red on the grape vine.
    • In winter there is nothing quite like seeing holly or rowan with bright red berries on sustaining the birds.

Those are my seasonal favourites. At the moment my favourite plants in the garden are the strawberries, rhubarb and grape vine. Not much chance of grapes this year, but the plant is nice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,066 ✭✭✭✭Happyman42

Some garden delights.;)

14aa6b8.jpg

What a show off! :D
    It depends on the season:
    • In spring I love the purple crocuses, snowdrops and daffs which peep out from the melting snow
    • In summer I like the common poppies, Cornflowers and the red hawthorn around my area
    • In autumn I love seeing all the fruit on the trees ready for harvest - apples, pears, plums and the leaves turning red on the grape vine.
    • In winter there is nothing quite like seeing holly or rowan with bright red berries on sustaining the birds.

Pics! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 159 ✭✭Northumbria

Happyman42 wrote: »
    What a show off! :D

Pics! :D

I don't have any pictures at the moment, I should really buy a new camera. For now you'll just have to imagine it. ;)
    Most of these plants are very common anyway, I'm sure everyone can appreciate the first crocuses at the end of winter. I have some bulbs waiting in jar too add to those already in the garden ready for next year.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,189 ✭✭✭Ophiopogon

Beautiful Lupins, LaChatte, and what looks like a beautiful garden.

The background shots really remind me of the garden I grew up in, it being one I really hope to recreate at some point in my life.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,441 ✭✭✭planetX

My meadow - I've only myself to blame for the hayfever its causing
    IMG_1338.jpg
    IMG_1373.jpg
    IMG_1383.jpg
    IMG_1325.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,230 ✭✭✭Merkin

What is the name of the 3rd flower down planetX? I used to pick bunches of them when I was a little 'un but have never known what they are called! Beautiful pics by the way!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,441 ✭✭✭planetX

spotted orchid - Dactylorhiza maculata
    I have a few paler ones too
    IMG_1384.jpg
    In the second pic down are Pyramidal orchids, Anacampis pyramidalis, here's a more pyramidal shaped one
    IMG_1380.jpg

not for picking anymore;)

Tonight's garden.
    v4mlub.jpg

wan4ew.jpg

2uzxu7n.jpg

2uhn9n6.jpg

30vmyau.jpg

iget09.jpg

24wvqe8.jpg

nmj91j.jpg

287ktbo.jpg

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

As of 4pm yesterday.

Not much sun,but a hell of alot or rain though.:(:D

DSCF0025.jpg

DSCF0037.jpg

And as of 10pm tonight.

Plenty of bees still buzzing around.:D

DSCF0041.jpg
    DSCF0044.jpg
    DSCF0045.jpg
    DSCF0048.jpg

Nice sunny morning this morning.

Just got to find some space in the garden to plant some of these.:)

DSCF0057.jpg

Tesco are selling various "Irish Grown" flowers and plants for 5 euro each.

We went a bit mad in Tesco tonight.:D

Now to figure out where in the garden to plant them.:)

DSCF0071.jpg
    DSCF0073.jpg
    DSCF0072.jpg
    DSCF0076.jpg
    DSCF0077.jpg
    DSCF0075.jpg
    DSCF0078.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,189 ✭✭✭Ophiopogon

God Paddy I wish I could tell you where I work as you would have a field day, our stock is bigger and much cheaper than that.

I really like your ferns btw, like the design as a whole really (bar the alliums, can't feckin stand the yokes) fair play Mucky.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,066 ✭✭✭✭Happyman42

Ophiopogon wrote: »
    God Paddy I wish I could tell you where I work as you would have a field day, our stock is bigger and much cheaper than that.

Feel free to pm me your location if near Cavan Monaghan Ophiopogon! :D

Ophiopogon wrote: »

I really like your ferns btw, like the design as a whole really (bar the alliums, can't feckin stand the yokes) fair play Mucky.

We just happened to see them in the corner beside customer service in Tesco Clarehall,so we went to only buy 3,but ended up going a tad nutts buying them up.

Fair play indeded,she designed,built and planted it all from scratch.:D

Serious amount of crap had to be dug out of the ground,after the builder left most of his materials on and in the garden.:(

PS-I absolutely love alliums,so mucky and myself went and planted them everywhere.I dont know why I love them,but I just do.:D

PM me where you work,as we are allways on the lookout for new places and companies to buy from.

Thanks.:)

Tesco,Artane Castle also have the plants.

Bought a few more this morning.:)

Around Easter time we dug a pond for frogs, toads and other water life.

These pics show you how it has evolved in a short space of time.

2vhyj5c.jpg

mvpv80.jpg
    My nephew helping out :) ...
    And my brother, and one of the dogs

14czlft.jpg

im5tf9.jpg

3537go9.jpg

Creeping jenny gradually covering the liner
    2rcq5jp.jpg

etv67c.jpg

35len0n.jpg

biwfth.jpg

i4lhl4.jpg

2h88tqp.jpg

350455w.jpg

Some Koi carp,frogs and tadpoles in the pond.

We rounded up about 30 tadpoles this evening and moved them down to the smaller pond.:)

We planted some more stuff in the front garden today,while the weather was dry (for a change).:D

Tomorrow (Sunday) is chill out day and "watch British F1 race" day for me.:D

We were too late for the tadpoles, but we have plenty of tiny and larger frogs in the undergrowth.
    We won't be doing fish in the pond as it's first and foremost a wildlife pond. Herons would probably savage the lot.
    I don't have a filter or pump either, but lots of oxygenating plants. The first couple of weeks the water was murky, but after that it cleared up completely and this up till now. It is for a large part in the shade too.

I just love sitting there and looking at everything that moves under and on the surface. Aaah. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,658 ✭✭✭✭looksee

My favourite thing in the garden - my dieramas, angels fishing rods. They have been spectacular this year, I tried to take a pic but they didn't look like much in a photograph (probably more to do with my photography skills than anything). They have been moved a couple of times and don't really like being moved around, but seem to have forgiven me and really showed off their elegance.

Not too bad for 1 euro 50 cents a pack in Aldi.:)

Just started to flower in the last few days.The bees seem to love them too:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭ronan45

I put out one of these outside. Nice water feature nearby.

Even with out really crappy summers a cold evening is nice with the fire burning and a wee glass of beer!
    I plan to put a gazebo overhead with maybe some perspex sheeting on top so even on rainy eves you can sit out at the fire :)

http://www.diy.com/nav/garden/outdoor-living/barbecues-outdoor-heating/chimeneas/La-Hacienda-Araza-Black-Steel-Patio-Heater-12087516

Advertisement