Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What do like most in your garden??

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭prospect

LaChatte, that pond is beautiful, looks so natural.

Well done.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,834 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

paddy147 wrote: »
    Not too bad for 1 euro 50 cents a pac plansk in Aldi.:)
    you always have to be careful with packs like that in aldi - i've seen bulbs and corms which are basically just bags of dry papery material.
    the staff don't take care of the plants once they're out on the shop floor - they either sell or dry out.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

you always have to be careful with packs like that in aldi - i've seen bulbs and corms which are basically just bags of dry papery material.
    the staff don't take care of the plants once they're out on the shop floor - they either sell or dry out.

Ah I know that,sure its the same with Tesco and not watering plants when they are put out on the shop floor,but as they say........

"the early bird gets the worm"....;):D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,104 ✭✭✭Oldtree

forgot to mention a large pot of camomile next to a seat is a must have, you will know why when you brush your hand through the plant and smell it!

• Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭Black Dog

I have read through this entire thread; wonderful to see so many great gardeners; fabulous photographs; great ideas. I enjoyed them all.

I have posted loads of photograph on Facebook where there are several very active garden-based groups or maybe most of my friends there are interested in gardening so we posts lots of flower/garden photographs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

My bottle brush has started flowering. I wasn't expecting it to this year and I'm absolutely chuffed.

Yep..its a good thread allright.:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 959 ✭✭✭maringo

Enjoyed reading the thread, fabulous flowers and a super pond - just proves you don't have to spend a fortune to have lovely garden :D

Time to bring this thread back to life.....

Spent a few hours today in and around the garden planting some bulbs,black and green grasses and some general gardening.

Neighbour thinks we are mad for being out in the cold and mist..but sure isnt that the joy of gardening.:D

I love this time of year,as you can see everything bursting back into life.:)

Planted a load more bulbs today and did a bit of cleaning up around the garden.
    Birds chirping away and swooping down for a quick feed from the bird feeders ever now and again.

Made for a nice sight and sound on a dismal day like today.:)

• Advertisement

Any chance that the moderators could turn this into a "sticky thread".

Thanks.:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,956 ✭✭✭Citizenpain

What do I like most ? It's a blank canvas (New House)- I can do whatever I want :) !!

Bought a few nice large pots today and did some more planting up.

Good way to unwind and relax..even if it was a damp misty day.:)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,834 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

shredding the accursed leylandii is what is bringing me joy these days.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 159 ✭✭Northumbria

I bought 3 Portuguese Lavenders for the price that one would have cost in the summer. They're in good condition and should flower in the summer. Lavender costs a fortune to buy in summer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 407 ✭✭muckyhands

One of my favourite things at the moment is frogs! :D:)

Birds having a field day this morning in the garden,tried to get a close up of 2 blackbirds,but they flew off before I had a chance to get a pic of them.

I'm loving my hellebores at the moment. I'm really glad I splashed out on a few different varieties.

Now I have to get my act together and get some summer colour in there.

Another 120 bulbs planted this afternoon.

Cold but a nice day for it none the less.:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,066 ✭✭✭✭Happyman42

Would cut you in two out there today, panicing about getting some colour planted for the summer. :eek:

• Advertisement

Happyman42 wrote: »
    Would cut you in two out there today, panicing about getting some colour planted for the summer. :eek:

Cold enough out there allright...(wee bit of snow forecast for the east coast and hills) might have to stick the stove on tonight so.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 629 ✭✭✭cotton

Another 120 bulbs planted this afternoon.

Cold but a nice day for it none the less.:)

Are you not afraid the frost will get them? Am waiting very impatiently for the minus figures forecast for the weekend to go before I get planting.

cotton wrote: »
    Are you not afraid the frost will get them? Am waiting very impatiently for the minus figures forecast for the weekend to go before I get planting.

Nope...not worried at all.

Never had a problem last year either or even back in 2010 either.:D

IMG_1495.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭Teeley

kylith wrote: »
    I'm loving my hellebores at the moment. I'm really glad I splashed out on a few different varieties.

Now I have to get my act together and get some summer colour in there.

I'm a curious novice gardener..what are you, or others on this thread, thinking of for summer colour?! Thanks.

I'm thinking of some gladioli, definitely freesias, and I have some self seeded crocosmia lucifer in my front garden that I'm going to move to the back as soon as I see its shoots. I haven't decide what to put in my shady corner yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭Teeley

kylith wrote: »
    I'm thinking of some gladioli, definitely freesias, and I have some self seeded crocosmia lucifer in my front garden that I'm going to move to the back as soon as I see its shoots. I haven't decide what to put in my shady corner yet.

Thanks for the reply..will check them out. I'm keen to add more summer colour to my garden..seem to have most colour in Spring!

Foxgloves and alliums too...great for summer colour and for the bees.

My girlfriend bought me some lovely hellebors this evening.

So they are going into the garden at some stage tomorrow.:)

We also recently planted some nice large Ilex (nellie stevens) holly ball trees too.:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭rebelden

We also recently planted some nice large Ilex (nellie stevens) holly ball trees too.:)

Hi Paddy lad how are things with you? May I take the opportunity to welcoming you back into the fold and lovin that is Boards.ie:D. How did you enjoy your holiday? I hope you will behave yourself this time:p. Welcome back anyway and keep the camera revved up. By the way you have some nice holly ball trees there in that picture. May I ask where did you purchase those trees and were they expensive. Kind regards from the rebel county man.

Advertisement