Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sum up an entire artist's catalogue in one sentence

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭Chips Ahoy

Suas11 wrote: »
    Who's solo stuff is far better than the Chili Pepper's.

His solo stuff is good but not as good as hes time in the chili peppers imho.

Him and the flea did some amazing things together, two great musicians.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭rcaz

The Hold Steady : Boring bluesy pub band with Diet Springsteen lyrics - So why do I like it so much?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭kunst nugget

rcaz wrote: »
    The Hold Steady : Boring bluesy pub band with Diet Springsteen lyrics - So why do I like it so much?

You have no friends...

Tom Waits: The piano's been drinking...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,159 ✭✭✭rednik

Stevie Ray Vaughan - Guitar God taken too soon.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,854 ✭✭✭Sinfonia

Sigur Rós: Baflooooody shweeeee, fallah flim baloooooo.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭Kold

Godspeed You! Black Emperor - "Kiss me you're beautiful, these are truly the last days."

• Site Banned Posts: 236 ✭✭vader65

Bruce Springsteen - old but still completely rockin'

Tom Waits: The piano's been drinking...

That's one song...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,679 ✭✭✭hidinginthebush

Nirvana: teenage age has paid off well, now I'm bored and old.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

ReefBreak wrote: »
    Oasis - 2 great albums, 5 crap albums.*

* See also: U2, Rolling Stones, except with possibly different numbers.

really ? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,075 ✭✭✭ReefBreak

ricero wrote: »
    really ? :confused:
    OK fair enough, 1 great album, 1 good album, 5 crap albums.

Philip Glass:

Mostly inoffensive piano music Mostly inoffensive piano music Mostly inoffensive piano music Mostly inoffensive piano music Mostly inoffensive piano music Mostly inoffensive piano music Mostly inoffensive piano music Mostly inoffensive piano music Mostly inoffensive piano music Mostly inoffensive piano music Mostly inoffensive piano music Mostly inoffensive piano music Mostly inoffensive piano music Mostly inoffensive piano music Mostly inoffensive piano music Mostly inoffensive piano music Mostly inoffensive piano music Mostly inoffensive piano music Mostly inoffensive piano music Mostly inoffensive piano music Mostly inoffensive piano music Mostly inoffensive piano music Mostly inoffensive piano music

• Registered Users Posts: 2,883 ✭✭✭smokedeels

Codeine: What musician wants his audience dead?

The Fall: Cheeeeese-state-ahhhhhhh

• Registered Users Posts: 5,177 ✭✭✭nyarlothothep

Radiohead: 2 classic albums, 1 good album and 5 crap albums.

Radiohead: 2 classic albums, 1 good album and 5 crap albums.
    ReefBreak wrote: »
    Oasis - 2 great albums, 5 crap albums.*

* See also: U2, Rolling Stones, except with possibly different numbers.

I think people are missing the point... That's not describing an artist's catalogue, that's just telling everyone what you think of their stuff. I figured it was supposed to be more witty synopses of an artist's temperament or attitude. Like
    Coldplay. My shoes are wet and there is only one balisto left in the fridge.

So can we leave out the "X's albums are ****"-type posts? There's enough reasonless criticism in plenty of other threads as it is.

Philip Glass:

Mostly inoffensive piano music Mostly inoffensive piano music Mostly inoffensive piano music Mostly inoffensive piano music Mostly inoffensive piano music Mostly inoffensive piano music Mostly inoffensive piano music Mostly inoffensive piano music Mostly inoffensive piano music Mostly inoffensive piano music Mostly inoffensive piano music Mostly inoffensive piano music Mostly inoffensive piano music Mostly inoffensive piano music Mostly inoffensive piano music Mostly inoffensive piano music Mostly inoffensive piano music Mostly inoffensive piano music Mostly inoffensive piano music Mostly inoffensive piano music Mostly inoffensive piano music Mostly inoffensive piano music Mostly inoffensive piano music

boringboringboringboringborinbgoringboribongringborboringingboboriringngbborinoringgboringboringboringboring

Galaxie 500: Shhhh… we're being earnest.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,625 ✭✭✭flyswatter

Kaiser Chiefs: Woooooooooooooooooooooah!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,328 ✭✭✭karaokeman

Someone's only heard Smells Like Teen Spirit.

• Advertisement

karaokeman wrote: »

Is it you? Because hidinginthebush's line is from 'Serve The Servants'*

*Although it should be 'angst' rather than 'age'.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,328 ✭✭✭karaokeman

Sinfonia wrote: »
    Is it you? Because hidinginthebush's line is from 'Serve The Servants'*

*Although it should be 'angst' rather than 'age'.

What do you think?

It amazes me the will of instinct, people will always associate Nirvana with the cultural iconic stereotype that became the post-death Kurt Cobain, but not all of their songs are about the idealism of teenage youth, that is what is believed by the people who've only heard SLTS.

Radiohead: Fcuk Art Rock, Let's Braindance

Kings of Leon: One man's search for a cure for his painful constipation

What do you think?

It amazes me the will of instinct, people will always associate Nirvana with the cultural iconic stereotype that became the post-death Kurt Cobain, but not all of their songs are about the idealism of teenage youth, that is what is believed by the people who've only heard SLTS.

I think hidinginthebush's point is that some Nirvana songs (Smells Like Teen Spirit included) contain lyrics in which Cobain takes a sardonic look at youth culture, often poking at what he perceived to be (as many older curmudgeon types do - and by looking through this lens he simultaneously lampoons the 'older' generation) a lack of passion and the apparent contentment of the young with mediocrity and apathy. So true did his observations ring with younger people that he became an unlikely voice for some who had misapprehended the irony and cynicism in the lyrics. The above lyric from Serve The Servants regards the misplaced 'passion' of youth that is really just teenage angst as ultimately fruitless.

And of course not all of their songs are about the same thing. But you could say that about any band or artist, including everyone mentioned in this thread. Which by the way was your bloody idea.

boringboringboringboringborinbgoringboribongringborboringingboboriringngbborinoringgboringboringboringboring

That's Steve Reich :pac:

That's one song...

I think summing up an artists catalogue in one sentence is pretty easy. Using a single line from one of their songs or a song title to sum up the ouput is slightly more interesting and challenging.

I chose "The piano's been drinking" because the music behind the man does sound drunk. Sometimes it's the melancholy drunk in Martha. Sometimes it's on the way to a party, "Whistlin' past the graveyard". Sometimes it's locked in a Karaoke bar trying to sing Elvis, "Lie to me". And sometimes it's a sleazy pick up artist, "Raindogs".

That's Steve Reich :pac:
    I assumed Glass did phases too, attempting to be like the magnificent Steve.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,679 ✭✭✭hidinginthebush

I think hidinginthebush's point is that some Nirvana songs (Smells Like Teen Spirit included) contain lyrics in which Cobain takes a sardonic look at youth culture, often poking at what he perceived to be (as many older curmudgeon types do - and by looking through this lens he simultaneously lampoons the 'older' generation) a lack of passion and the apparent contentment of the young with mediocrity and apathy. So true did his observations ring with younger people that he became an unlikely voice for some who had misapprehended the irony and cynicism in the lyrics. The above lyric from Serve The Servants regards the misplaced 'passion' of youth that is really just teenage angst as ultimately fruitless.

And of course not all of their songs are about the same thing. But you could say that about any band or artist, including everyone mentioned in this thread. Which by the way was your bloody idea.

You pretty much summed it up there, admittedly better than I ever could have said it. I was also taking inspiration from an interview I saw of Cobain where he specifically said that the opening line from serve the servants is how he felt about grunge at the time ie. it was fun while it was underground and a "movement", but as it became this watered-down global phenomenon he began to lose interest it, passion was replaced by profit etc. I think the fact that it appears on what became their final album and is how he saw the whole genre developing, it would be a fitting sentence to sum up their catalog (although my memory was a little sketchy on the lyrics lol).

ಠ_ಠ

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭Kold

Death Grips - Is this amazing yet or do I need to keep screaming at you- wait... here comes the hook!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,113 ✭✭✭SilverScreen

Kold wrote: »
    Godspeed You! Black Emperor - "Kiss me you're beautiful, these are truly the last days."
    This is by far the best of the thread.

Advertisement