Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bsc (Hons) to Phd

Options
  • 08-06-2012 9:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 627 ✭✭✭

Is it still possible to enroll in a phd without having a Msc? How many credits is an hons Bsc worth?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,224 ✭✭✭Procrastastudy

It is possible but will very much depend on your area and how the interview goes. It will also depend on whether the PhD is the newer 'taught'/guided kind or the traditional 'get on with it ans speak to your supervisor when he wants you to fill in a lecture for him' kind.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,556 ✭✭✭Squeeonline

In Ireland, a normal BSc hons is worth 60 ECTS/year so 240 over all. On the continent, universities regularly require you to have 300 credits, i.e. a MSc.

If you can't get a PhD directly (realistically you need a 1:1 or very high 2.1 to even be in with a chance) you can always try for a research MSc and hope that if you like it, you can convert into a PhD if funding becomes available.

• Registered Users Posts: 627 ✭✭✭Dboy85

Thanks for the feedback, I got offered a research position at a company to start a phd but the requirements are 300 credits. Masters are mentioned on the admission, accompanied by a ordinary degree OR equivalent and I was thinking how much credits the Bsc netted me. Do publications carry any weight or credits when applying for it? Not looking good so far :(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,556 ✭✭✭Squeeonline

Dboy85 wrote: »
    Thanks for the feedback, I got offered a research position at a company to start a phd but the requirements are 300 credits. Masters are mentioned on the admission, accompanied by a ordinary degree OR equivalent and I was thinking how much credits the Bsc netted me. Do publications carry any weight or credits when applying for it? Not looking good so far :(

if an "or equivalent", then go for it. If you have publications that will put you far above the average undergrad in ireland. If you have any work experience that should also help.

nothing to lose by going in to the person in charge and having a chat with them.

Advertisement